• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Charger Amps?

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm searching for a battery charger for a single battery in my 2021 Yamaha 195S. Are 1 amp and 2 amp units too slow for topping off a battery overnight? Should I go with a 5 amp or are the others fine? After sitting all winter with the battery in the boat (negative disconnected) I was able to start the engine but the display said only 11.4 Volts. Looking at the Noco Genius models on Amazon. Thanks.

A 2-amp would probably be fine for overnight charging, but a 1-amp might be pushing it. I just got one of those Noco Genius 5X2s and can't wait to hook it up. That thing looks so slick.

I got the Noco 2 bank 4amp (per bank) and I’m very happy with it. It was only $100 so not sure it’s worth going any lower on amps just to be safe.

Last edited:
prob depends on your typical stereo use...but i'd think you'd want more juice than 1 or 2 amps...
are you wanting an on-board charger?
and if you have plans for a more elaborate stereo setup that may include another battery...get a dual bank

Appreciate the input. I ordered the Noco Genius 5.

I just ordered the NOCO GENPRO 10x4. Waaaay more than I wanted to spend, but not much more than two of the two banks a or a 3 bank and a two bank. I will have at least 3 batteries. 2 of them will be LiFePo4 and will be in a series for the 24v trolling motor. Did this for the weight and longevity. The other battery is a Northstar. Was looking at the GEN5x2 but would need 2 so for another $100 putting the 4 bank it seemed logical and more convenient.

Amazon.com: NOCO Genius GENPRO10X4, 4-Bank, 40-Amp (10-Amp Per Bank) Fully-Automatic Smart Marine Charger, 12V Onboard Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation: Automotive

IMHO,

You need a charger capable of pushing at least 10 amps to properly condition the battery. I’m assuming the NOCO is a smart charger / battery conditioner and will push 10 amps to 80% (bulk charge) of charge then start backing down the charge rate / amps for the remaining 20% of charge, then maintain roughly 13.5 volts (maintenance) Also, this charger should perform a equalizing charge about every month if it is left plugged in. An equalizing charge cleans the plates and stirs the electrolyte.

Smart chargers are not trickle chargers... smart chargers while on a maintenance charge just keep the voltage up with extremely little amperage. Trickle chargers were / are notorious for destroying batteries because they maintain a certain level of charge amps whether it is needed or not.

The best thing you can do to make your battery perform and last is to place the battery on a charger as soon as you come home after a day of boating..don’t leave it set overnight Before charging.

@adrianp89 That is a fantastic charger. I have one, new in the box that I am selling to another forum member today. Unfortunately it will not do LiFePo4 batteries, otherwise I was going to use it. I liked everything about it. As I was getting started on my journey last year I didn't know that or quite understand everything about charging and different types of batteries, so I bought it.

Pricey but excellent I'm sure. Makes me feel better about the $70 I just paid for mine.

I use the same charger as @adrianp89 to charge 3 batteries, works great. Plenty of amperage to charge overnight and it conditions throughout the week.

IMHO,

You need a charger capable of pushing at least 10 amps to properly condition the battery. I’m assuming the NOCO is a smart charger / battery conditioner and will push 10 amps to 80% (bulk charge) of charge then start backing down the charge rate / amps for the remaining 20% of charge, then maintain roughly 13.5 volts (maintenance) Also, this charger should perform a equalizing charge about every month if it is left plugged in. An equalizing charge cleans the plates and stirs the electrolyte.

Smart chargers are not trickle chargers... smart chargers while on a maintenance charge just keep the voltage up with extremely little amperage. Trickle chargers were / are notorious for destroying batteries because they maintain a certain level of charge amps whether it is needed or not.

The best thing you can do to make your battery perform and last is to place the battery on a charger as soon as you come home after a day of boating..don’t leave it set overnight Before charging.
It looks like the NOCO is a trickle charger. What smart charger with you recommend?

Attachments

• EB859C83-8C41-43A9-8C77-2DE81AE2B4CE.png
    EB859C83-8C41-43A9-8C77-2DE81AE2B4CE.png
    246.5 KB · Views: 34
I use 4 banks, since I have 4 batteries. This is the charger that I have. It works fantastic. I also have three chemistries. 2 x LiFePo4, Wet, and AGM TPPL.
NOCO - 4-Bank 40A On-Board Battery Charger - GENPRO10X4
I was looking at this because you mentioned you really like it, but in FSH 210 Sport’s post, he says to avoid trickle chargers and get a smart charger. The one you have is a trickle charger apparently, based on the specs I posted. It’s probably not that big of deal, but that’s why I was asking what a good smart charger would be. I may still go with this, but with just a 2 bank.

I was looking at this because you mentioned you really like it, but in FSH 210 Sport’s post, he says to avoid trickle chargers and get a smart charger. The one you have is a trickle charger apparently, based on the specs I posted. It’s probably not that big of deal, but that’s why I was asking what a good smart charger would be. I may still go with this, but with just a 2 bank.
NOCO genius Gen 5x2 is a 2 bank smart charger. @hang outdoors’ charger is a smart charger

While the NOCO description does mention trickle charging, it has a force mode and also mentions desulphication.

I do not like the term Trickle charger as that harkens back to the old constant low charge battery chargers that would eventually boil off your electrolyte and not properly charge the battery.

What you need to look at is the charge profile graph. The link below is for the chargers I have, a MK330 for the trolling motor bank and the MK220 for the start and house batteries.

8EDE4BFD-52EA-4457-A557-B45FD3244DD7.png

Have a look at the manual that I linked and read up on the charge profiles, essentially when it goes into maint mode there is no charging until the voltage drops to 12.7 volts.

I think the NOCO operates the same way, most if not all modern chargers operate this way. Look into the NOCO manual and see if you can find a similar graph that shows its charging profile… a lot of people like the NOCO chargers, because from all accounts they work well. I also see that that are IP67 or 68 (water proof rating ) rated which is good.

When my dealer installed the trolling motor and batteries they installed the Minnkota PC MK330 for the on board charger. I’ve been pretty happy with the chargers performance. Each charger bank can be set up for different chemistries, they can be set to charge Gel, flooded, or AGM, the newest ones have a lithium specific profile, I have my MK 220 set up to charge an AGM on bank 1, and the house set to AGM to charge my LiFePO4 batteries.

I would personally choose the 15A chargers if I was going to purchase them again, if you are running lead acid you need the higher amps to properly clean the plates, and more importantly to de stratify the electrolyte.

Yes, the trickle language is what threw me off. I discovered that the “Gen” in GenX2 stands for “genius”. It has to be smart. Ha! Thanks everyone! I’m ordering the the NOCO.

The Noco are smart chargers and will not over-charge your batteries as it shuts off charging when the batteries are full. I leave mine connected all winter long and the batteries are perfectly maintained and ready to go in the spring.

Amperage needed depends on your usage. If you're like me and the batteries don't get heavily used while floating, then a 5amp per battery charger is enough. If you run your batteries down with heavy usage, then you want 10amps per battery.

Last edited:
The NOCO is idiot proof. Auto selecting how much current is sent to the batteries, while constant monitoring prevents overcharging. I installed the gunnel mount plug with ours. Plug it in, and it automatically goes to the last setting you left it on.

Attachments

• NOCO.jpg
    NOCO.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 33
Back