• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery charging with BEP concerns.

TJP027

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Need some help from the battery experts today. I posted on a Facebook group as well.

Last year, I installed a house battery—a 27 AGM Duracell. I didn't change the start battery from the 24 flooded that was in it. That is probably the first step to this.
The house battery seems to be not charging. The BEP light flickers on and off for the 2nd battery charging, but doesn't stay on.

My house battery was only reading 8v on Saturday.

Attachments

• 20240607_144145.jpg
    20240607_144145.jpg
    836.8 KB · Views: 9
Sounds like the little black wire from the DVSR is hooked up properly? Or perhaps the wire got broken? The DVSR could be going bad but I’ve not heard of that happening.

Doesn’t sound like you have an onboard charger? That is something you should have.

If your house battery was reading 8 volts it’s probably toast.

I'd start with simply swapping the house battery. If it's more than four years old it was probably due, and even if it wasn't, a full drain down to 8v probably did it in.

My boat has a little black wire that must be hooked to a battery ground. Yellow tag stating such.
Website sez my images are too large.

Sounds like the little black wire from the DVSR is hooked up properly? Or perhaps the wire got broken? The DVSR could be going bad but I’ve not heard of that happening.

Doesn’t sound like you have an onboard charger? That is something you should have.

If your house battery was reading 8 volts it’s probably toast.
The black wire is connected to the Neg bus. I have taken the battery home to charge it.

Unfortunately, we are in a wet slip with no electricity

The black wire is connected to the Neg bus. I have taken the battery home to charge it.

Unfortunately, we are in a wet slip with no electricity

The dvsr closes at 13.2 and opens at 12.7, so I’m going to guess what was happening was that your start battery would get up to 13.2, the dvsr would close and as soon as it did the the voltage dropped below 12.7 because your house battery was so dead and would open then the voltage would go back up.

If your battery was at 8 volts it’s probably junk now. If it charges up take to an auto parts store and have it tested.

Back