• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery drain with switches left on, key off

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I was having this same issue with batteries draining down. Does anyone else notice that the anchor light flashes about every 2 minutes? Guessing on the actual interval. Also my swim deck radio control backlight stays on when switches are left on. Both are pretty annoying. Might take it in for warranty with a few other items.
For the radio controls, are you in Float Mode with the key on?

I can see where it would be on in Float Mode but it should go out when you turn the key

For the anchor light, same question. Are you in Float Mode with the key on?

On the newer boats, the bilge pump apparently runs every two minutes with the key on. Wonder if you have a loose ground somewhere?

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
One other consideration on battery drain issues. The DVSR will draw 1.8mA because Yamaha does not wire it to shut offf with the ignition key. This happens with the battery switches in the On or Off position.

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is float mode? Just keys in accessory mode essentially?

My batteries are fine if I shut them off. Can leave the boat for a few weeks at a time and come back without issue.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
What is float mode? Just keys in accessory mode essentially?

My batteries are fine if I shut them off. Can leave the boat for a few weeks at a time and come back without issue.

Float Mode is the key is on but engines are not running so the Connext screen is powered on to listen to the radio, Bluetooth, etc. On my 275SD, the top right corner of the Connext screeen will say Float Mode.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
These are the kinds of things that require a heavy hand to address. Auto pump Auto garbage. Add a float to that circuit, and a good old manual bilge pump and problem solved, and bilge pump will last longer, no need to be powered on every 2 minutes.

I'm sure some bean counter is super happy he saved 8 bucks by having modified the design to remove the float, but "can be done", and " good idea " are not the same thing. A float allows the boat to alarm without additional power spent in stand by.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
These are the kinds of things that require a heavy hand to address. Auto pump Auto garbage. Add a float to that circuit, and a good old manual bilge pump and problem solved, and bilge pump will last longer, no need to be powered on every 2 minutes.

I'm sure some bean counter is super happy he saved 8 bucks by having modified the design to remove the float, but "can be done", and " good idea " are not the same thing. A float allows the boat to alarm without additional power spent in stand by.
As I understand it….the running everys 2-minutes is only when the key is on. Also, these bilge pumps have an internal float / water sensor as well that will activate them.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I struggle to grasp that. If there a water sensor why would it also spin every 2 minutes? It still seems wasteful to me.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Given the multiple years, types, and "selective" wiring by Yamaha assemblers, as well as multiple DIFFERING reports from members here, this should be something for an owner to test, confirm that it lines up with their understanding of what their manual states, and then verify that all works accordingly. Barring such action, we're only able to advise on our beliefs for our own personal boat - even then, wiring anomalies have been reported here, seemingly contradicting the manual and/or conventional wisdom.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Just and FYI on the bilge pump running automatically every two minutes.

I was out on the water today for about 4 hours in my '22 275SD. I looked into the bilge to check for water the first time out since I installed the Lectrotabs (actually it was the maiden voyage for the boat after buying it 14 months ago thanks to Hurricane Ian).

Anyway.... when we were floating and the engines were off but the key was on, I opened the engine compartment and I had very minimal water and none near the bilge pump.... but I could hear it running. Yamaha is a bit nutty with their current bilge pump setup it does appear.

In any case, the Lectroab install and anchor locker fix plus some other sealing (thanks to the guys on this forum!) has my boat pretty water tight so far. I saw very little water in the bilge and inspection ports... after all the boats I have had over the years I would call it normal / typical or better than you would expect.

I can also confirm I did not see the bilge switch light on the Connext screen when I heard it running but apparently per the manual it will run on its own periodically even if there isn't enough water to trigger it.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Yamaha and Scarab (Rotax) are apples and oranges but I had the same issue when the boat was new. I feel your pain. I'll make this short. I had the boat at two different dealers and was told there was nothing wrong because they did not possess the knowledge to solve the problem. My battery would drain even with the power selector switch off. I had to remove all the positive terminal wires every time I stored the boat. After months of research, checking voltage at every connection and fantastic help from JetTech72 it was resolved. Turns out it was incorrect wiring from the Scarab factory where the one hot wire from the battery that feeds the bilge was powering one ECM and completely drain the battery within 48 hours. Since it was a slow drain I never had an issue on the water.