• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

Well the pair on Uniden Hand Held VHF's that Bruce mentioned in his https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/ are gone. I did find a 6 pack some nice Standard Horizons on ebay for about $115 each. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-Ho...922?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf6980612.
I will continue to search, but this seems like a great price for a full featured VHF. I would want two, so if a few others want to jump in, I would be willing to purchase. If someone else has a different WATERPROOF, FLOATING option..please advise

Those were closeouts. I guess we bought them all up.

There are lots of waterproof and floating options out there. The Standard Horizon HX100 is another small but lower power (2.5 watt) option. They are available for $85 per pair http://www.anchorexpress.com/standard-horizon-hx100-floating-vhf . The HX150 is a 5 watt option with a larger battery but at twice the price http://www.anchorexpress.com/standard-horizon-hx150-floating-handheld-vhf . The Uniden MHS75 is the next step up in their product range and provides a 5 watt output. It is available for $80 http://techhawker.com/uniden-vhf-waterproof-two-way-marine-radio-mhs75 .

Staying with our group 2.5 watts is probably enough. Without elevation you are likely to be limited by terrain (water) before you are limited by signal strength. ICOM states that by switching from one watt to three watts of output you may gain 10 percent in range.

Are you planning to add a fixed VHF to your boat If so I would get a pair of HX100s for on island usage.

Everyone, please remember that we can not use VHF radios on land in the US. That results in big fines. But it is perfectly acceptable in the Bahamas.

I'd keep watching. I ordered the same ones back in February. Just checked the seller since then, and he's done 7 more auctions since, most recent ending on 3/15. I'd bet they'll be listed again.

Bruce, yes, I have a Fixed mount VHF for the boat. As discussed, I will probably do the Black Digital Antenna's 4' mast afixed to the TOP of my bimini

Those were closeouts. I guess we bought them all up.

There are lots of waterproof and floating options out there. The Standard Horizon HX100 is another small but lower power (2.5 watt) option. They are available for $85 per pair http://www.anchorexpress.com/standard-horizon-hx100-floating-vhf . The HX150 is a 5 watt option with a larger battery but at twice the price http://www.anchorexpress.com/standard-horizon-hx150-floating-handheld-vhf . The Uniden MHS75 is the next step up in their product range and provides a 5 watt output. It is available for $80 http://techhawker.com/uniden-vhf-waterproof-two-way-marine-radio-mhs75 .

Staying with our group 2.5 watts is probably enough. Without elevation you are likely to be limited by terrain (water) before you are limited by signal strength. ICOM states that by switching from one watt to three watts of output you may gain 10 percent in range.

Are you planning to add a fixed VHF to your boat If so I would get a pair of HX100s for on island usage.

Everyone, please remember that we can not use VHF radios on land in the US. That results in big fines. But it is perfectly acceptable in the Bahamas.

@ArmyChief
@Bruce I bought the HX150 last year and if you shop around online they can be had in the $80-$90 range. I think I paid $82 shipped. Standard is always running rebates though below is the link to there 2015 rebates the hx150 has $20 on it which is the same as it was last year which means I really paid $62. It did take almost 2 months to get the check back but it did come. Also amazon has the hx100 pair for 108.86 with free shipping there is a $20 rebate on those as wellso thats a pair for $88.86 but get them from anchor express as bruce said thats a pair for about $75 with shipping thats cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Horizon-HX100-Handheld-Marine/dp/B00AJVX4YY
http://www.standardhorizon.com/pdf/1-1-2015_2015_Gear_Up_For_Summer_rebate.pdf

Last edited:
Emailed my slip reservation cc auth in yesterday and got confirmation today. I think we're 100% ready to go!

I'm calling tomorrow. The couple bailed on us, so only Wife & I and 13 year old son. Will the 1BD with loft work for him sleeping upstiars?

I'm calling tomorrow. The couple bailed on us, so only Wife & I and 13 year old son. Will the 1BD with loft work for him sleeping upstiars?
The 1 bedroom with loft is perfect, the loft has its own bathroom and typically twin beds. We are staying in one with 2 couples.

It was perfect for us with a private bedroom downstairs for the parents and a semi private space upstairs for the kids.

@Tony Sweasy booked today and said that Bimini Sands was filling up. So anyone who has not booked yet please get your reservations in.

@ArmyChief, please ask how many condos they have booked for our group. Thanks.

I regretting getting talked out of that unit now. The lady on the phone asked how many people I had I told her in my unit it would be my wife, possibly 7 year old daughter and my self and she told me just to book the one bedroom and use the sleeper sofa. I called with the full intent of booking the 1 bed loft untill she said that maybe I will change it. They did change me to building 7 over by the infinity pool though thanks for the advice on that.

I had I told her in my unit it would be my wife, possibly 7 year old daughter and my self

You should be fine with a one bedroom unit. Getting a loft would save pulling out and reassembling the sofa for her to sleep on and adds a second bathroom.

**Bimini Shirt Incentive**

If anyone has room for my wife and daughter for just the ride over and just the ride back, I would be happy to buy everyone on the boat the 2015 Bimini Shirt. Of course, this would be in addition to a fuel contribution as well. If your interested, name a price that it would take and we can put something together. No obligations or expectations for ride along once there, its just the journey going and coming.

@robert843, @Ramblin Wreck, I am sure that you guys will have a great time if we get reasonably smooth water. We had good water in 2014 but in 2013 they faced 5 foot seas. Kevin and Corrie live in Florida and seem to be able to leave at a moments notice to get the best water. On their Exhuma trip they had great water on the way there but they faced rough water on the way home. I believe it was this trip where one of their crew lost a tooth to a jet ski crash. I believe the Tampa Sea-Doo Crew forum is down but they used to have a description of the tooth loss accident.

You guys should watch this video. I don't want to discourage you but I do want to make sure you understand the risks.

Actually the multiple tooth loss is in this video. It was a Miami to Bimini trip.

I believe this trip has their first one and of course, they've taken several since. Ashley the blond from the exuma trip has now made the crossing over 10 times and recently went from Miami to Bimini solo. This was a quote off a forum I had found regarding the guy that lost a few teeth. Rough water and speed definitely contributed.

"We had some fairly rough waters on the return trip to Miami. It's only a 55 mile distance, but it took us close to 4 hours (a lot compared to the 1.5 hrs it took to get to Bimini). The guy on the silver RXP-255 got a little too excited when we finally saw land again. He was going about 60 mph when he caught the lip of a rogue wave. The nose of his ski bit in, and pivoted around. He then took a chunk out of the fiberglass with his teeth and proceeded to go flying through the air like a helicopter blade. It was pretty scary. His jaw bone, gums, and plenty of teeth were destroyed. He's got dental work scheduled for the next two years. From now on, we always ride with mouth guards."

Ok, just made my reservation for a 1 BD w/loft, ocean view.
Bruce, (how do you tag someone on the forum?), the lady said less then 10 boaters, who identified themselves as a part of the Jetboaters group, have reservations.

So, look forward to conversation somewhere on the planning phase and then seeing everyone over at Ft. Lauderdale

Ok, just made my reservation for a 1 BD w/loft, ocean view.
Bruce, (how do you tag someone on the forum?), the lady said less then 10 boaters, who identified themselves as a part of the Jetboaters group, have reservations.

So, look forward to conversation somewhere on the planning phase and then seeing everyone over at Ft. Lauderdale
To tag someone start with the "@" then start typing their username, after a few letters a list pops up that you can select the user you want or you can type the users full username, @andy07sx230ho

Back