• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bouncy Shoreland'r Trailer? Carlisle Stands Behind Their Product

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well I contacted all parties involved. Worse was Yamaha they did not even want to talk about the shoreland'r trailer even after asking them who places the boat on the trailer and who buys the trailer and who spec's out the trailer and the tires and who sells the boat and trailer as a package. Shoreland'r basically said Yamaha tells them what tire to put on the trailer and Carlisle said they sell the tire to Shoreland'r. After all that I had it and contacted NHSTA and filed a complaint about the fender brackets braking off and the diamond plate cracks and bolts . If you have the same problem I encourage you to contact the NHSTA 1-800-327-4236 have your VIN number ready, tell them your situation and what has happened to you.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They're going to be getting a LOT of calls. . . .

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is a safety issue and of course everyone passes the buck. The bottom line is that the manufacturer of the trailer is responsible for it being safe. Does not matter what yamaha specced it with. Shoreland'r is the manufacturer and this is something that will cause harm down the road. Absolutly call nhsta because they are passing the buck. It is shoreland'r in the nhsta system.

The load rating plates are very telling in that they are rated for radials but came with bias ply. I also firmly belive there is inadequate lateral support for the inside fender wall and it oscillates which is made worse by the twin axle bias ply.

Awful nice of Carlise to step to the plate but their product is likley performing as it should. I have never seen bias ply on a dual axle myself.

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spoke to Shorelander this morning and explained that I had cracked diamond plates and broken supports where there bolt into the frame. The guy was nice and asked if I was working through my dealer and I told him I had not contacted them yet, and he insisted that was the best route to get warranty work performed. I mentioned Phil Dill and he said they do a good amount of work through them. I called Phil Dill and they took my information and told me they would be calling me back...while I had them on the phone I had them lookup the last time I had the fender replaced and it was in October of last year, so not even a year before the diamond plate broke again, and now broken on both sides. I will be calling Carlisle tomorrow and seeing what they have to say. Glad I'm catching this now and not later on the side of the road, but, ready to find root cause and solve. My suspicion, just like others are the tires until proven otherwise.

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for posting. I have a 2017 trailer and have the ST215/75D14. So Shorelander is still outfitting their trailers with the non raidial tires.

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Subscribed. Another forum win. I have a 2013 Forest River Rv that had bad tires. I signed up for a Forest River forum and found out I could get 7 new tires. Nice work. This is the worst pulling trailer I have ever owned and I have a small Sea Ray with a shorlander trailer that pulls like a dream. I hope it is the tires.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MrMoose what is interesting is your sticker has "R/D" which I assumes you could have either radials or bias ply tires? My sticker on my 2014 is just the R, like what rightstuff has pic of. But I have the bias ply "D" tires. First the bow roller now this!!! Why would they put a different tire then what sticker lists? Seems strange. I guess the accountants out voted the lawyers on that one.

Well at least I learned something today. I always thought that "R" meant "rim". As in the number after the R is the rim size. R14 is Rim14. :facepalm:
Good point @mrmeaniemeateaterman, I think that you're right in suggesting that the plate on my trailer calls for radial or bias ply, so it would be acceptable that Shoreland'r equipped my trailer with bias ply tires that didn't vibrate the fender apart. I can't help but wonder if simply balancing the bias ply tires would fix the problem; others on the forum have suggested that it would not. I was going to take my new tires to get balanced when I noticed that they are already balanced from Carlisle. The weights range from 1 oz to 4 oz. When you think of it, you only need one bad (or unbalanced) tire to shake a fender apart.
The more that I think of it, Shoreland'r should take ownership for the whole problem. Right now, they're only fixing the symptom.

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
On my way to Lake Mead from SLC and this trailer pulls so bad and bounces. Even the spare tire is jumping around. I think I am going to get some bling'n wheels and tires. But I will complain to Yamaha and shorelander.

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just got back from Lake Mead. So awesome! This not so much. 1089 miles on my trailer and the fender supports and aluminum plates are already cracking on both sides. They where not broken when I left. Crappy pictures but you know the drill. :(
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing @Fozzy. Make sure that you check the middle bracket. Mine started to crack when I noticed the crack in my fender diamond plate.

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The poor quality middle pictures is the main bolt for the fenders to the pivot point on the spring hangers. Both sides are cracked. My boat is going in for the 10 hour service and I will see what my dealer will do.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know that a lot of folks with Shorland'r trailers are trolling this thread; you should realize how much you'll be helping others out by posting that your fenders/brackets have cracked (pictures are great) on your Shoreland'r trailer. Maybe too many folks don't realize that this is a real issue because too many of you don't think that it's important to share your situation. Drop the pride, be brave, unleash your denial, support the forum in the name of safety and accountability. Either Shoreland'r needs to design/build their trailers to handle the vibrations that Carlisle bias ply tires deliver, or Shoreland'r needs to make sure that the tires that they put on their trailers don't shake them apart. Simple as that.

Michael Stone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just got off the phone with Carlisle this morning. I will fill out the warranty claim form and send in with documentation. My question: has anyone received the new radials, mounted them...and...did it solve the problem??

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will install my new radials later this week. I'll do a highway test and report back. In other related threads, members have stated that radials fixed the problem.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will install my new radials later this week. I'll do a highway test and report back. In other related threads, members have stated that radials fixed the problem.
Looking forward to your report!

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I filed my claim with Carlisle on Friday and just got off the phone with them and they don't have an answer yet on my case but did state they expect something today or tomorrow. Kinda slow but maybe the person I got is processing it slow. I did specifically tell them to replace mine with radials to help resolve the vibrations.....if they don't then I will go to Shorelander and push on them. I've already filed a complaint with NHTSA and suggest others to do so as well.

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Carlisle contacted me today and will be sending me new tires (radials). Hopefully these will fix the issue.

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I filed my claim with Carlisle on Friday and just got off the phone with them and they don't have an answer yet on my case but did state they expect something today or tomorrow. Kinda slow but maybe the person I got is processing it slow. I did specifically tell them to replace mine with radials to help resolve the vibrations.....if they don't then I will go to Shorelander and push on them. I've already filed a complaint with NHTSA and suggest others to do so as well.
Where did you find your claim form to file?

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you find your claim form to file?
I called the number listed in this thread, spoke to a customer care representative and they took some information and sent me an excel form to fill out and return. I returned the form and then had to wait about 3 to 4 business days before a decision.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations @Edward !!!
I just finished installing my radials. I took the trailer down a freshly paved road without the boat on it. No vibrations up to 75 mph. Fixed!