• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brand new Hull with bubbles, paint problem ???

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
It's been about 7 weeks for me, called the Yamaha consumer service line today and they see the active claim but has no time line for a resolution.

What really gets me is being in limbo. I'm an action guy. If it get's denied, fine, I'll move on to my next step and lawyering up and see if manufacturing defect trumps warranty exclusions.
I'm with you on this if it comes to this we should all get together

jackoj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
I'm with you on this if it comes to this we should all get together
I know a guy that had the same issue, this was about 10 months ago, the repair cost was so extensive that they gave him a new boat. He only had the boat in the water for about 6 weeks. I don't see that happening anymore especially more and more claims come in, plus it'll set a bad precedent for them.

The only right way to fix the problem is to redo the whole bottom, and that's cost prohibitive to do that for everyone with the same issue. I see them just denying all the claims unless they can pin the cost on their supplier, or make you jump through a lot of hoops.

BTW, my boat looks 10X worse than all the pics you guys posted. You can count on it getting significantly worse, and everywhere.

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I know a guy that had the same issue, this was about 10 months ago, the repair cost was so extensive that they gave him a new boat. He only had the boat in the water for about 6 weeks. I don't see that happening anymore especially more and more claims come in, plus it'll set a bad precedent for them.

The only right way to fix the problem is to redo the whole bottom, and that's cost prohibitive to do that for everyone with the same issue. I see them just denying all the claims unless they can pin the cost on their supplier, or make you jump through a lot of hoops.

BTW, my boat looks 10X worse than all the pics you guys posted. You can count on it getting significantly worse, and everywhere.
Do you have pictures

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
When I first brought my boat to the dealer they were ask by Yamaha to get a quote for repair and it came in at $15000.00
they submitted the quote and Yamaha told the dealer because more and more boats are coming in with the same issue that they would need to re evaluate to see what caused this problem so that they can remedy it so that the problem does not come back.

when you call Yamaha Canada they do not have much info when you call Yamaha USA they told me that engineers are evaluating the cause and a course of action on what steps they will take to repair the boats.

they did tell me that this will be covered without a doubt not to worry but I need it in righting from yamaha

jackoj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
When I first brought my boat to the dealer they were ask by Yamaha to get a quote for repair and it came in at $15000.00
they submitted the quote and Yamaha told the dealer because more and more boats are coming in with the same issue that they would need to re evaluate to see what caused this problem so that they can remedy it so that the problem does not come back.

when you call Yamaha Canada they do not have much info when you call Yamaha USA they told me that engineers are evaluating the cause and a course of action on what steps they will take to repair the boats.

they did tell me that this will be covered without a doubt not to worry but I need it in righting from yamaha
The pictures are on my old phone, I'll try to dig it up when I get a chance. I'm in the US and the guy I talked to basically said he's only heard of this problem very rarely, once a couple years or so. And its taken this long is likely because their warranty department is probably trying to find the cause so that if they repair it, it won't happen again.

This honestly sound like something that could drag on for months if not longer.

The dealership said there's another boat there for the same problem, and that the warranty specifically excludes blistering so they're not hopeful.

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I will Call Yamaha USA today and I will record the conversation I have with them

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
hull of a boat is not suppose to blister after 6 weeks or a couple of months of use I can see yamaha declining warranty on a boat that as been purchased years ago but not on a new boat

kbell413

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I haven't heard anything back on my claim either. My thought on it is that if yamaha wants to play bal ll on this I'll run the boat until the gel coat starts to peel and the hull becomes compromised. At that point they'll have to warranty it as the hull has a lifetime guarantee. I'm in for a class action suit against yamaha if they deny all of us though. I didn't spend 105k OTD on a boat to deal with this BS. My 08 yamaha that I sold when I bought this 22 didn't have a single bubble anywhere...

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just heard back from my dealer today. Yamaha received their repair estimate and have approved the fix. The dealer is now ordering the materials and are putting it on the schedule.

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Just heard back from my dealer today. Yamaha received their repair estimate and have approved the fix. The dealer is now ordering the materials and are putting it on the schedule.
Are you in Canada or USA

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
what dealer are you with

jackoj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
I hope they're redoing the whole thing instead of a patch job.

Supposedly Yamaha is having a corporate service rep going around inspecting all these boats. There's a dealer in Michigan that apparently has 4 2022s with pending claims. My dealer has 2 that I know of.

YamahaVictorr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have same issue. Bough boat new from Nebraska dealer (2022 212s) and brought back to Michigan where I live. boat did not stay in water for greater than a long weekend. Mine is really bad. Dropped off to Yamaha Dealer in October of 2022. Called Yamaha USA weekly for updates. Received the same story as everyone else: #1) Yamaha is asking questionnaire to all with this issue to figure our root cause. #2) Yamaha is sending rep out to marina to look at boat #3) Yamaha is conducting investigations with batch plant over seas for gel coat materials. #4) Yamaha is discussing internally on how to handle situation.

I was hoping to take the boat down south to Florida for the winter and informed the dealer of this issue. Them as well as Yamaha stated I can pick up the boat at any time and use it as they continue their root cause analysis and come up with a solution. I am hesitant on doing so until issue is resolved. with it already being January (3 months since I dropped it off), I am doubtful issue will be resolved in time for boating season. Not exactly sure what my next steps are. Glad I am not the only one with this issue but sad that it has happened to so many.

Attachments

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I have some news on this issue

was told that its not osmosis the issue is when they were manufacturing the boats during the mold process of the hulls they had forgotten some type of coating in the process. Yamaha is covering the repairs from what my dealer is saying

all seems to be moving in the right direction :)

jackoj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
I have some news on this issue

was told that its not osmosis the issue is when they were manufacturing the boats during the mold process of the hulls they had forgotten some type of coating in the process. Yamaha is covering the repairs from what my dealer is saying

all seems to be moving in the right direction :)
We'll see what happens. When I spoke with them this week. I was told there was a "bad batch" and they've identified it, not sure what exactly they meant by that or the extent of the bad batch. I hope they put out a bulletin with the boats effected. I would imagine there are a lot boats out there where the owners have mostly kept it out of water and either haven't noticed the flaws, or that it'll just be a matter of time that it shows up. I'm guessing there will be 2023 boats effected.

They still have no fix, they're trying to figure out a "market fix", whatever that means. Was also told don't expect to hear anything until spring at the earliest.

Scott N

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
On my 255 FSH Ihave had some chipping on the hull due to bubbles in the gel coat. I am working with my dealer, but they have to see it first had, and they don’t cover the cost of transportation ($200 each way).

GeoBlaster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Has anyone with a new 2023 had this issue yet? I know the new 22 footers are a new mold so I'm curious if this is carrying forward into the new year.

Eldo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all; I am a Canadian (Ontario) 2022 AR195 owner (with 20 hrs), and have the same blistering issue along the chines of the boat. I'll be getting pictures this weekend, and have been in touch with my dealer (Hully Gully, London, ON). I'm being told that they are aware of the issue and need pics. I am following this thread closely. Is anyone here on the "Yamaha Hull Blisters" Facebook group?