• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bumped the Dock, Repair myself??

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lightly bumped the dock, should I repair this myself??

Seriously though, I came across this 25' that was involved in an incident and actually got to see how much foam that Yamaha puts in these boats.

1661541606602.png
1661541682638.png

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good to know, was always a mystery. Thats a hell of a screw up!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought these were not loaded with foam.

This is good motivation to try again to fix those annoying little leaks that result in a few gallons coming out when I pull the drain plug.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought these were not loaded with foam.

This is good motivation to try again to fix those annoying little leaks that result in a few gallons coming out when I pull the drain plug.
That's closed cell foam, from the looks of it. If that's the case, not the huge headache of open cell, and would be a help in this use. Still no reason not to try to keep the water on the outside though

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m all but done stripping a 2017 240 of parts and have not found any foam like that in the boat yet. Before I get rid of the hull I will cut a wedge out of the bow or take a hole saw to it just to see if there is any foam in there.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I finished gutting the 2017 ar240 today. Also drilled the bow under the waterline. No foam whatsoever. The material there is about a 1/2 inch thick. There is no foam in the rest of the hull or between two hulls either other than that lining the engine compartment.CEBAEA3C-21A6-463C-94DC-D6BEC2B16E7F.jpeg9057D666-8D01-4D3F-952A-E3B053E6EF7E.jpegCDCD6DF2-EA0A-4F82-AFCC-72AE89E8EE8F.jpeg0CDC483D-8940-48A2-8D8F-17B56C695853.jpeg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finished gutting the 2017 ar240 today. Also drilled the bow under the waterline. No foam whatsoever. The material there is about a 1/2 inch thick. There is no foam in the rest of the hull or between two hulls either other than that lining the engine compartment.
Not sure if you're just scrapping the hull, but if so, how about cutting it open around the swim locker to get a look at what that area looks like?

Supposedly little area for drainage under there, so if water gets in the hull enough to fill that up (and possibly/probably the swim locker), it's also super slow to allow it out, making it seem like you've got water in there. I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like, if you're up to the task, and would be so kind.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure if you're just scrapping the hull, but if so, how about cutting it open around the swim locker to get a look at what that area looks like?

Supposedly little area for drainage under there, so if water gets in the hull enough to fill that up (and possibly/probably the swim locker), it's also super slow to allow it out, making it seem like you've got water in there. I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like, if you're up to the task, and would be so kind.
The hole i drilled into the bow area with a 5” hole saw is just under the front of the swim locker. You can see the bottom of the inner hull / swim locker in the pic and the resulting plug has some of the adhesive / fiberglass resin that is between it and the bottom of the inner hull. Not pictured is the smaller 1/2 inch hole that I drilled at the lowest point or the keel / centerline a few feet back. I drilled this hole to drain any water that may have pooled in that area. Like the bigger hole there is nothing between the inner and outer hulls but air and maybe some residual fiberglass resin, no foam or anything of interest to see, at least not in this model/model year.

Sorry but I’m still itching from doing this so I’m done drilling or cutting holes in fiberglass, at least for now, hopefully forever.
F5951236-ECFC-4355-9EA4-172137F75A3D.jpeg021A4326-0730-4D06-86E0-7E8E626EC203.jpeg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, more info about why I still have water in the bilge after a week out of the water 🤔
I think the excess water in the bilge is from the low point of the outer hull which is under the ski / floor locker. That is water pools there and unless the boat is trailered or stored at a significant incline it does not drain into the rear where the bilge pump is. I suspected and verified this years ago so now at the start of each off season, I pull the boat onto my driveway now first to let the water under the ski locker drain towards the rear area of the bilge where the bilge pump and drain plug are located to get as much water out of the boat as possible before putting it away for the off season.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the excess water in the bilge is from the low point of the outer hull which is under the ski / floor locker. That is water pools there and unless the boat is trailered or stored at a significant incline it does not drain into the rear where the bilge pump is. I suspected and verified this years ago so now at the start of each off season, I pull the boat onto my driveway now first to let the water under the ski locker drain towards the rear area of the bilge where the bilge pump and drain plug are located to get as much water out of the boat as possible before putting it away for the off season.
I was hoping there might be something blocking the area you showed. You may be correct, on that model, or 24' in general, there might be more room. I recall someone putting an inspection camera down into the drain hole in the ski locker and finding tight clearances or at least something that they suspected was slowing the drainage in that area. I've got mine on a trailer, and I have backed my boat into the ditch while on the trailer, and there was still water coming out. This was in the past, and I don't know if I still have the problem, as I've addressed the larger issues, so this may not concern me anymore, but others might.

Here's hoping you were wearing a mask while doing all that cutting - all that itching isn't nice inside the lungs! Thanks for the pics