• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying Used Boat Question

fsurock38

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m going to possibly buy a 2014 ar192 tomorrow. Going to inspect it and take it out on the water first.

One question I already have is I noticed in the pictures, the engine doesn’t have the black cover that says high output. It’s like the cover was removed. Red flag or no? I don’t know if the engine has had any mods installed on it.

IMG_9943.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ask where it is.

I thought at first this model didn’t come with that cover, but I see the other support bracketry for the cover. Maybe the owner just took it off to wash the engine?

fsurock38

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ask where it is.

I thought at first this model didn’t come with that cover, but I see the other support bracketry for the cover. Maybe the owner just took it off to wash the engine?
The seller didn’t know. It’s at a boat dealer.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okay,

Well there are a plethora of more important questions you should have for a used boat.

Compression test
how many hours are on the motor
get a yamaha tech to get into the ecu and check for how many hours, overheat alarms, or other trouble codes
what condition is the impeller and wear ring in.
Does the connext screen work properly
can you get the clean out plug in and out normally
does the bilge pump work, not just spin, install the plug and fill the engine bay with a hose and make sure the bilge pump works automatically and manually.
Make sure all of the lights work
What does the engine oil look and smell like

I think there is a tab in the FAQ about purchasing a used boat, as well as numerous threads on this subject which you can find using the search function. You would be well advised to study as much as you can from the resources on this site before purchasing this boat. Not that it is a bad boat, but rather it will tell you what to look for. Your wanting and sea trial is excellent! After the engine is fully warmed up go full throttle for at least 15 minutes to make sure it is not going to overheat on you.

Make sure everything works

fsurock38

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay,

Well there are a plethora of more important questions you should have for a used boat.

Compression test
how many hours are on the motor
get a yamaha tech to get into the ecu and check for how many hours, overheat alarms, or other trouble codes
what condition is the impeller and wear ring in.
Does the connext screen work properly
can you get the clean out plug in and out normally
does the bilge pump work, not just spin, install the plug and fill the engine bay with a hose and make sure the bilge pump works automatically and manually.
Make sure all of the lights work
What does the engine oil look and smell like

I think there is a tab in the FAQ about purchasing a used boat, as well as numerous threads on this subject which you can find using the search function. You would be well advised to study as much as you can from the resources on this site before purchasing this boat. Not that it is a bad boat, but rather it will tell you what to look for. Your wanting and sea trial is excellent! After the engine is fully warmed up go full throttle for at least 15 minutes to make sure it is not going to overheat on you.

Make sure everything works
Compression test was good. Oil, spark plug and new impeller have all been changed. No overheating when ran full throttle for extended time. Forgot to check oil… will double check that.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
11 year old boat… I wouldn’t say the cover missing is a red flag. Things happen during service. Could have been cracked during an oil change and they just tossed it. If everything else is looking good, this has zero impact on buying decision.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Was this a salt or fresh water boat?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, if it is not too late... smell the oil. If the engine has overheated, they can change the oil, but it will still smell burned. Works for cars, too...