• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cable slapping

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone ever have cable slapping. At times when I hit some ruff waves or boat wake, I hear the steering or throttle cable slap against the hull. Did yamaha miss some secure points? Don't really want to lift the floor panels if I can get warranty to do it lol.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I doubt it’s that. Those cables are hard. Did u lose throttle control or steering

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No boat runs perfect. Ik it lays in a channel after it turns from the side hull under the floor to the back. Sounds like a snap/cracking Sound as if the cable bounces off the channel and then lands hard. Just wondering if they have any tie downs underneath the floor in that channel. Ya know like the tie downs that a zip tie would go through. Like the one they bundle/tie up wire hanesses.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think they just lay there based on what I’ve seen in my boat. If it’s really a cable it’s probably throttle and not the steering because it is so heavy and stiff.

My throttle cables have a big loop that sits right against the hull in the helm compartment in my boat and that seems like a likely spot for noise.

You could try to secure them or wrap something soft around them.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm gonna pull the floor board above the gas tank and secure. I've already put a damping rag under the cables where it turns to go under the floor board.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All my cables around the gas tank area are zipped tied together and too heavy to bounce.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would look for something else slamming:

Cleanout hatch?
Anchor lid?
Seats?
Dock cleats?
Batteries?
Table/table post?
Any loose equipment?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would look for something else slamming:

Cleanout hatch?
Anchor lid?
Seats?
Dock cleats?
Batteries?
Table/table post?
Any loose equipment?
100%. I don't recall EVER seeing anything like this before. Anything's possible, but this sounds like it's not the droids you're looking for

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all your input guys. I'm pretty sure it's unsecured cables going across the gas tank. When I get a chance I'll pull the floor and start there. Appreciate once again.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Definitely not the same model, but did you locate anything like what is described in that recall notice when looking at the exploded parts diagram?

When you open it up to look, please document this with some wide shots of the area. Close-ups may help too, but that area is like the Bermuda Triangle, nobody has much need to deal with it, so it's more of a mystery than other areas.

Given that you might be an anomaly at this point, you could be quite helpful for others, or for us noticing something you may not, which might prove useful to you in tracking down your issue

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For sure when I get it open I'll check everything and take plenty of photos for us. Thanks for the recall artical.