• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cant get rope-less with Wake Booster

Benjamin Bailey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have become obsessed with trying to wakesurf. I got my hands on a Wake Booster from the local Yamaha dealer and I bought 2 800# Ballast Bags. We have been experimenting with different setups most recently 800# sack split between upper and lower rear deck and the other sac 3/4 full on the floor between the front seats. My gf is 130# and she is closest to being ropeless but its not consistent and only lasts about 3 seconds. Has anyone had success with the Booster? I see alot about the wedge not much on the booster. Any tips from anyone who has been successful?

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have a 212 ltd S and have been running only the transom ballast bag on surf side this summer. We have been able to go rope less for a few min and I’m a larger guy 250#. Obviously takes more work and practice than a wave behind a surf boat. Our wave isn’t the cleanest which I hope to do with the booster this winter but it’s enough to surf without the rope and have fun. Took some practice and trying out different boards but I’m sure with the amount of weight you got there’s plenty of wave to go ropeless.

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We were in the same spot and it definitely took some practice And technique improvement before we could go ropeless. This video was really helpful for me in identifying some subtle things to work on after I was up on the board. Plus Kirby is a really cool guy and good teacher. Can’t go wrong with his advice.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
looks like a nice wave I’ll see about posting a video of mine when I get back. What speed are you doing hard to tell from video obviously might be a little quicker than me. I usually am 10.4-10.5

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

Benjamin Bailey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
looks like a nice wave I’ll see about posting a video of mine when I get back. What speed are you doing hard to tell from video obviously might be a little quicker than me. I usually am 10.4-10.5
High 9s to mid 10s constantly a moving target

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
consider ridesteady speed control to help,

what board are you using ?

from the videos it looks like way to much pressure on your back foot and to far back and outside for ropeless,

you really have to be up in the base of the wake and it's really a balance issue, front foot is the gas pedal, rear foot is the brake,

Benjamin Bailey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
consider ridesteady speed control to help,

what board are you using ?

from the videos it looks like way to much pressure on your back foot and to far back and outside for ropeless,

you really have to be up in the base of the wake and it's really a balance issue, front foot is the gas pedal, rear foot is the brake,

We are using a Hyperlite Broadcast 5.4. Thanks for your suggestions We will try moving up on the board and more forward pressure next time.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah ridesteady is and absolute must. By far best upgrade for the boat. Pricey but it is worth every penny.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can tell from the videos, your girlfriend is being towed slower changing the angle of the wave to give her more push.

Wakesurfing requires a very neutral position in the board so you can teeter your weight between the front and back. Think of it in terms falling down the wave. Also mess around with moving closer to the boat and feel around in the wave for where you feel it push.

Kevin-yyz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not specifically for jet boats but some good info on how a wave is formed: