• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Changing Batteries:

Michael M.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought a 2005 Yamaha SX230 with 2 MR1 engines using stators for charging. It has the standard Group 24 "wet" lead acid batteries that need to be replaced. Can I change to Group 24 or 27 AGM batteries without altering the charging system and would this system charge these batteries? THANKS to anyone that can help.

THANKS AGAIN,
Michael M.

Yes but if you have room I would try and get group 31

Thanks … so no changes to the charging system? Sams Club has a “34” Duracell Marine AGM for $124 … do you think the stators would be able to charge these … I read that AGMs are easier to charge.

Actuality I’ll go back and look … maybe they are “31”’s

I had a picture of it … It IS a Duracell Platinum SL 34 Marine AGM with 775 MCA & 18 month warranty

It will be a bigger battery, but as long as it fits where you want it your good.

The charging system on these boats are pmg or permanent magnet generators. As such they are at full output all the time. The regulator / rectifier changes the ACvoltage to dc voltage then shunts excess or unwanted voltage and current to ground.

Because of this design these pmgs don’t have a lot of charging current leftover after running the engines and accessories. Point being you are not going to hurt them with a flooded acid or AGM battery.

The main advantage of an AGM battery is that they are essentially sealed.

All that being said you will need to install an onboard charger like a NOCO 10 A that you can plug in when you get back home so the battery gets properly charged between outings and is maintained

Actuality I’ll go back and look … maybe they are “31”’s
Either way that's a great price. I paid $189 for a Duracell group 24 AGM at Battery plus last summer.

Thank You Everyone … because It may sit for several months while I’m gone I’m thinking about a solar charger (FL sun) mounted on the trailer but when I start having the boat yard start setting it on the rack I won’t have shore or solar … Fully charged I’ve heard the AGMs will hold their charge for much longer than “wet” lead acid.

The challenge is how long will you run the boat frequently to restore the charge you might use. If you are putting 20 minutes via no-wake zone to sand bar to blast music for 8 hours, then put 20 minutes back, you won't have had enough juice back to restore power, so battery capacity alone does not bring you back. BUT if you are going out twice on the weekend you could charge overnight from shorepower while the boat is sleeping in the water. If you are running the boat for hours you may be able to restore some power and be OK with no shore/electric "bump".

Humble suggestion, Don't buy much more battery than you could normally charge, just so you don't "waste" money on charge you can't maintain, if that makes any sense.

The manual says Minimum Charging Current for MR-1 is 14 amps at 6,000 RPM. So in theory with no resistance you could get 28 amp/hours back in an hour of running (at plane or better). With Internal resistance and what not, figure 20 and do your math.

If you already have dual battery, my recommendation is, once you know both batteries are well charged and healthy, alternate which one you run from that day/weekend, and leave the other in reserve. Worst case you are low on juice, and always have the other ready to return home. Ultimately the A#1 goal is to be able to return home safely under your own power.

We really don’t run the stereo much … when we go out to the islands we are on the beach and not in the boat …. But it sounds like I should just stick with the Group 24’s even if they are just sealed “wet” Marine Duracell’s which Sam’s has for $84

I would humbly suggest that's the best spend for your money given your planned usage. Use the remainder for your additional bilge pump and float switch and alarm the boats don't come with and should be standard :) (only a suggestion on what else to do to the boat!) The other being EZ-Locks if you don't have them already.

Congrats on the new boat!!!

I’m having a hard time finding Group 24s Marine AGMs at a reasonable price

Thank You for the advice … I do plan on adding a backup high volume bilge pump just like I had on my 33ft Cruisers … those twin 454s had no problem recharging the batteries ? … what are the EZ Locks?

The clean out plugs can become dislodged. It's a spring/through bolt that goes through the clean out plug preventing it from dislodging. Think of a tube/bar on a sliding door to keep it from opening... Something like that.

Thanks … I’ll check on that … THANKS TO EVERYONE for their help … these forums are invaluable

OK Everyone - I’m getting 2 Duralast AGMs Group 24 Dual Purpose from Autozone for $171ea

The same company that makes Duralast makes Interstate !!

The Duracell AGM's (made by Deka) that you can get at Batteries Plus seem to be pretty good and are competitively priced. Having a brick and mortar store close in case you have a warranty issue is pretty convenient. I don't have a Sam's club membership but I guess you can get the Duracell's there as well.

Back