• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chicago to St Louis run 5/4-5/5 Great Loop Run

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
need to know if you are riding a ski OR riding @swatski ?
Hold on now regardless if you bring the ski we are all riding @swatski but I get to go first :oops: Can't wait to see the Jetski behind the bike as I have seen your towing setup with the Prius first hand. Seriously If a ski is coming down a cold river in May lets not forget full leg wetsuits and booties. @Betik can be in charge of lubing up the guys suits :oops:

There hopefully I have been salacious enough for @Betik (crossover from a different thread) :winkingthumbsup"

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@robert843 I'd offer my wetsuit, but may be a bit too tall for ya. It's time like this I wish I hadn't got rid of it. It was so much easier to go at last minute.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hold on now regardless if you bring the ski we are all riding @swatski but I get to go first :oops: Can't wait to see the Jetski behind the bike as I have seen your towing setup with the Prius first hand. Seriously If a ski is coming down a cold river in May lets not forget full leg wetsuits and booties. @Betik can be in charge of lubing up the guys suits :oops:
There hopefully I have been salacious enough for @Betik (crossover from a different thread) :winkingthumbsup"
let be super clear. I ride Swatski and swatski alone. If I can make it I will be more than glad to bring the ski ( including wetsuits etc), but I need people to ride it ( hard or gently) from chicago to StL. Yall can be swingers and change who is riding what, but the only way to separate me from swatski during the trip is a crowbar.

@robert843 do we to book transient dicks for the ski or we can just tie up ? ( how do you like that for crossover ? of maybe I should ping @Ramblin Wreck !!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
let be super clear. I ride Swatski and swatski alone. If I can make it I will be more than glad to bring the ski ( including wetsuits etc), but I need people to ride it ( hard or gently) from chicago to StL. Yall can be swingers and change who is riding what, but the only way to separate me from swatski during the trip is a crowbar.

@robert843 do we to book transient dicks for the ski or we can just tie up ? ( how do you like that for crossover ? of maybe I should ping @Ramblin Wreck !!!
Must be Valentine's, hence the love-fest, lolol.

You guys consider dry suits if really serious about the ski in May (the river water temps can be brutal), as those dudes do for Alaska trips (there is show on Amazon Prime I tried to watch, I forgot the title)

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dangerous Waters

Like I said, I will lunch the ski in Chigago and retrieve it in STL. Anything in between yall figure it out.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I checked on USGS and we are looking at average river water temp from 18 to 22 degrees Celsius that time of year. So lets just say 68 degrees. Once the water temp hit 67 degrees in Maine I was wakeboarding in my shorty tri wetsuit. A full el cheapo 3/2 suit with booties will get the job done no problem. Perhaps even go with a long john stlye and wear a jacket for better body temp regulation. Where things would really suck is if it were a cold rainy day. I may enjoy riding the ski in that kind of water and air temp with a wetsuit. With cold rain things could get miserable pretty quick. Perhaps a motorcycle helmet in that case.

At any rate I am game for the ski but only in fair conditions and a couple hours at a time. I know we are talking about a relatively calm river but riding a ski all day will make for some sore muscles that don’t get used all the time.

I am not sure if @Betik was planning on bringing his boat and what is possibly holding him back but I would strongly guess that those of us in @swatski boat can make room for at @Betik if needed.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I checked on USGS and we are looking at average river water temp from 18 to 22 degrees Celsius that time of year. So lets just say 68 degrees. Once the water temp hit 67 degrees in Maine I was wakeboarding in my shorty tri wetsuit. A full el cheapo 3/2 suit with booties will get the job done no problem. Perhaps even go with a long john stlye and wear a jacket for better body temp regulation. Where things would really suck is if it were a cold rainy day. I may enjoy riding the ski in that kind of water and air temp with a wetsuit. With cold rain things could get miserable pretty quick. Perhaps a motorcycle helmet in that case.

At any rate I am game for the ski but only in fair conditions and a couple hours at a time. I know we are talking about a relatively calm river but riding a ski all day will make for some sore muscles that don’t get used all the time.

I am not sure if @Betik was planning on bringing his boat and what is possibly holding him back but I would strongly guess that those of us in @swatski boat can make room for at @Betik if needed.
I think that's optimistic, the temp at the beginning of May will be more like 50s... And, with a relatively short window to get to STL, I know of only one person in this crew who could ride a ski 150 mile a day... that would be @robert843.

On the other hand, we have room for @Betik no matter what with our current (4 adults? and me) head count, we will simply let @Betik, myself stay in the bow area and let the adults handle the ship!
(yes, I'm bringing cigars)

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think that's optimistic, the temp at the beginning of May will be more like 50s... And, with a relatively short window to get to STL, I know of only one person in this crew who could ride a ski 150 mile a day... that would be @robert843.

On the other hand, we have room for @Betik no matter what with our current (4 adults? and me) head count, we will simply let @Betik, myself stay in the bow area and let the adults handle the ship!
(yes, I'm bringing cigars)

--
So I have done about a 7 hour day with high 60's air temps and water temps in the low 60's with no wet suite so I'm not afraid of this challenge but my fear if the unknown rules of the river with the locks I would hate to get to one where someone doesn't want to let a jet ski through is my concern. If @Betik wants to bring a ski I will gladly run it down the river.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I make it up there I will be more than happy to bring the ski and a chase vehicle with the ski’s trailer. So worse case scenario we find a ramp and load the ski back on the trailer.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure thing.
As long as you guys don't plan to pull a Chris24 move with that ski, if you know what I mean, lol.

--

Jimxo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would be interested in the first part of the trip from Chicago to Starved rock.

Jimxo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I started working on the great loop this year and have decided to break it up into sections with @Andy S to try and get it knocked out over the next few years. We have completed all of GA and SC this year and plan to tackle several sections next year. One being part of the Great lakes section this being Chicago to St Louis.

We plan to do this stretch with @swatski who has been kind enough to let us ride with him. The trip plan begins with a launch at Burnham Marina in Chicago it has easy access from I-55 and is only two miles from the Chicago Canal. We will depart on Saturday 5/4/18 at 8am and run through the Chicago Canal at mile marker 330 though downtown Chicago and down the river to Starved Rock Marina at mile marker 233. We will refuel at Starved Rock Marina and grab lunch at Captains Cove. We plan to continue down the river ending at mile marker 164 at the Peoria Marina for the night. Hotels in Peoria will be at each individuals preference. We will plan to depart Peoria Marina at 8am we will travel 40 mile to Tall Timbers Marina at mile marker 120 and refuel. This is the last fuel till Grafton Harbor which is at mile marker 0 which mean 120 miles no fuel all boats will need to bring extra fuel just incase. I would estimate 15 gallons would be safe for 210/240 boats and 190 boats will need probably 30 gallons extra. There are a few stops that could be made along the way in an emergency situation for fuel but would require carrying fuel cans off the water to a gas station these will not be planned but if needed made. We will plan to stop and grab lunch at mile marker 20 at the Illinois River Dock Restaurant there is a fuel station not far from there in an emergency situation but please plan to carry enough fuel to make the 120 mile trek. We plan to refuel at Grafton Harbor and continue on to @swatski marina for us but from this point I would recommend the ending point for others be Alton Marina which is 15 miles from Grafton they have a beautiful secured facility for us to leave vehicles over night if needed. This is a one way trip you will be responsible for getting between St Louis and Chicago as we are starting in one spot and ending in another. I will likely be flying into Chicago for the Start and probably be flying out of Chicago so I maybe able to assist in getting some people from the St louis Area back to Chicago or possible help getting trucks and trailers to St Louis on Friday prior. If you have any questions feel free to reach out. I will tag a few below who showed interest from another thread if interested in doing let us know so we can keep track.

@robert843 @Andy S @bronze_10
@swatski @Bruce @Wesley D
@Amar Nanduri @OperationROL
@BigAbe75 @Ramblin Wreck @Shannon
@ACrews @1948Isaac @Cwigg951
@Speedling @veedubtek
@Mainah @DieselCamel
@zipper @Wisefam22
@2kwik4u @Seadeals
@Wisefam22 @JeffVans
@Betik @NC_Mid_Atlantic@NC_New_Bern_to_Beaufort
@Shelbyville
Committed
@robert843
@swatski
@Andy S
@Amar Nanduri
@Mainah

Possible
@ACrews
@Omg8 @Mark Brannon
Burnham Marina, Chicago to Starved Rock Marina is how far ? Time, Miles and fuel ?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Burnham Marina, Chicago to Starved Rock Marina is how far ? Time, Miles and fuel ?
Here is a chart w/miles, from the Jerry Hay book guide:
IMG_8145.JPG

Let me know if you want any particular section pages:
IMG_8144.JPG

--

Jimxo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My 242x holds 50 gallons, how much would I burn each way. How long will it take each direction?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 242x holds 50 gallons, how much would I burn each way. How long will it take each direction?
Well, hold that thought! As we are kind of trying to figure that out before the trip.

Your range will vary with speed and conditions, you are unlikely to get less than 1 mile per gallon assuming you stay on plane. I would think the range will be somewhere between 50 and 100 miles, but there are gas docks in that stretch, too.
As far as timing, the biggest unknown are the locks, and that’s something that we need more information, maybe from the locals. I have never done this trip myself. Locking thorough can take minutes... or hours... just depends on traffic and the operators mood.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am pretty sure @swatski has same 50 gallon tank/engines as you do, although he might have 1 or 2 modes more than you. Hence, it is safe to assume that @robert843 recommendation in terms of fuel should hold true for your boat as well.

Just to be extra sure, at this point you will be only boat going back upstream. The rest of the trip is planed as one way, going south ( literally & metaphorically).

As general comment I would like to add that riding along these guys ( andy, mainahai, swatski and roberto ) is a rare opportunity that if you can make it happen you should make it happen.

Note: if you are think this might too fast paste of trip for you, might want to consider the July run which is going to be 5 days instead of 2. Although, the vessels and crew for the July group are of a different league.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to make sure those Chicago lake locks are still working after this -40deg winter, before our trip in a few weeks.
All good!
1553319275229.png

The Burnham Marina is still closed though.
1553319446771.png
And boy, those ramps look pretty narrow... Anyone launching there with any tips?
1553319570654.png
Towing on the Shore Lake Drive gonna be fun too, lol.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking like and adventure already

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m ready to go my man narrow launch will be simple all three of us going with you I’m sure have mad launch skills it will be simple to back you down there. Hopefully it starts to warm up soon it’s still even been cool down here in the south.