• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chicago to St Louis run 5/4-5/5 Great Loop Run

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m ready to go my man narrow launch will be simple all three of us going with you I’m sure have mad launch skills it will be simple to back you down there. Hopefully it starts to warm up soon it’s still even been cool down here in the south.
Yessir! Frankly, I can not wait.

But I love Chicago, too, and was thinking it could be a separate trip all together at some point, just doing the "triangle" and exploring the North branch of Chicago River, guys on the tour boat said that was cleaned up some in recent years.

--

Nickp98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
I am trying to figure out a few things with this trip... I live about 15 miles from Burnham Harbor and have launched there a bunch( its narrow but not too bad). I am trying to figure if I can launch on Friday, then head to St. Louis with the truck and trailer and rent a car to get back. Only thing I see is the Chicago Harbors don’t start transient slips until 5/16 and where am I going to leave the truck and trailer in STL?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If my office hadn’t already paid for my conference attendance that week, I would be coming along for the ride somehow.

Not sure what @swatski has in mind for retrieval (and parking), but you might check out the Alton marina. Right next to the Hwy and I believe easy to maneuver. Although, I’ve never actually used it. Next time I meet up with the river guys, I plan to use this marina.

Transient Reservation | Alton Marina

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am trying to figure out a few things with this trip... I live about 15 miles from Burnham Harbor and have launched there a bunch( its narrow but not too bad). I am trying to figure if I can launch on Friday, then head to St. Louis with the truck and trailer and rent a car to get back. Only thing I see is the Chicago Harbors don’t start transient slips until 5/16 and where am I going to leave the truck and trailer in STL?
Huh! Maybe we can help?

There would be several different options for you to park and store the truck/trailer here (STL). Alton Marina is certainly a good one as it puts you right where you want to be, they have secure parking/starage, they are SUPER nice, and they are next door to one of the best public ramps in Pool 26, etc. etc.

If you would like to come here on Thursday (with IL cops crawling all over the I-55 it is a 5+hr drive, unfortunately...) we would be more than happy to put you up here for the night (leave your truck in Alton and take you to my home), and you would hitch a ride with us back - up to Chicago in the morning (we will have plenty of room in my truck, and a third row if needed). What do you think?

We plan on leaving STL to Chicago Fri morning/noon, ideally to get to Burnham by early-ish afternoon so that we can launch the boat (and be done in time to get @Mainah his deep dish pizza and goose island fix downtown!).

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If my office hadn’t already paid for my conference attendance that week, I would be coming along for the ride somehow.

Not sure what @swatski has in mind for retrieval (and parking), but you might check out the Alton marina. Right next to the Hwy and I believe easy to maneuver. Although, I’ve never actually used it. Next time I meet up with the river guys, I plan to use this marina.

Transient Reservation | Alton Marina
I have guest-slipped there many times, AWESOME people, always have "Loopers" coming through. It is only $40-50 a night for our size boats, they will usually comp for the trailer if not too busy. Great ramp next door, and they have lockedup trailer storage.

Water level will be a big factor/ big unknown this Spring, as you know. Right now they are (almost) inundated, but not too bad.
And there is always a ramp somewhere we would be able to use, there are several closer to Grafton that are "good" in high/low water. I can launch almost anywhere with the Landy, lol.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was coming back from Chicago today and decided to scope out the Peoria sites for o/n dockage and possible truck/trailer parking.

Here is what I found, working of off the Jerry Hay book:

Peoria Boat Club and Detweiller Marina are both next to each other and very close to downtown Peoria.
Neither of the two have fuel anymore, but it is available across the lake at Eastport Marina (see below).

Other marinas are on the other side of the lake, it would be a longish Uber/Lift drive.

1553403601880.png
Eastport was closed, but it looks nice, well maintained.
Spindler is more of a trailer park...
1553404516424.png

The PBC was open (see below), and I hit it off with the crew...
1553404631225.png

...they told me we would fit right in, lol:
1553404684650.png

Very nice people, they were excited to have us stop there!
1553404861090.png
1553404987938.png
1553405005975.png

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was coming back from Chicago today and decided to scope out the Peoria sites for o/n dockage and possible truck/trailer parking.

Here is what I found, working of off the Jerry Hay book:

Peoria Boat Club and Detweiller Marina are both next to each other and very close to downtown Peoria.
Neither of the two have fuel anymore, but it is available across the lake at Eastport Marina (see below).

Other marinas are on the other side of the lake, it would be a longish Uber/Lift drive.

View attachment 90154
Eastport was closed, but it looks nice, well maintained.
Spindler is more of a trailer park...
View attachment 90155

The PBC was open (see below), and I hit it off with the crew...
View attachment 90156

...they told me we would fit right in, lol:
View attachment 90157

Very nice people, they were excited to have us stop there!
View attachment 90158
View attachment 90159
View attachment 90160

--
Is this now our planned docking stop for the night there?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this now our planned docking stop for the night there?
Assuming we would be stopping o/n in Peoria?
I think a lot will depend... Weather/water level, lockage timing etc.
Of the four marinas I visited there (in Peoria/Peoria Lake) today, I would say that PBC place seemed hands down the most "promising".
None of them have any hosteling facilities. The PBC has enclosed parking.
Only Eastport has fuel in that part of the "lake" but there are other fuel stations on water withing 5 miles.

--

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
In the fall every year, @OperationROL organizes a Starved Rock to Peoria day cruise for lunch and back. That cruise stops at Eastport for fuel. Nice sized marina and decent fuel docks. 2 years ago, their credit card machine may have been down but I’m sure that was temporary.

Nickp98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
Huh! Maybe we can help?

There would be several different options for you to park and store the truck/trailer here (STL). Alton Marina is certainly a good one as it puts you right where you want to be, they have secure parking/starage, they are SUPER nice, and they are next door to one of the best public ramps in Pool 26, etc. etc.

If you would like to come here on Thursday (with IL cops crawling all over the I-55 it is a 5+hr drive, unfortunately...) we would be more than happy to put you up here for the night (leave your truck in Alton and take you to my home), and you would hitch a ride with us back - up to Chicago in the morning (we will have plenty of room in my truck, and a third row if needed). What do you think?

We plan on leaving STL to Chicago Fri morning/noon, ideally to get to Burnham by early-ish afternoon so that we can launch the boat (and be done in time to get @Mainah his deep dish pizza and goose island fix downtown!).

--
Well thank you very much for the offer but I wont be able to make it on Thurdsday. Has anyone contacted Burnham to see if its ok to slip overnight there on 5/3? I am going to call Alton tomorrow and see if I can park there overnight. Is that where we are going to load up once in STL? ANd did we decide where the stopping point on Saturday night is going to be? Sorry for so many questions...

@BigAbe75 It sounds to me that you need to tell your office now that you are going to be sick, this way it should give them plenty of notice!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well thank you very much for the offer but I wont be able to make it on Thurdsday. Has anyone contacted Burnham to see if its ok to slip overnight there on 5/3? I am going to call Alton tomorrow and see if I can park there overnight. Is that where we are going to load up once in STL? ANd did we decide where the stopping point on Saturday night is going to be? Sorry for so many questions...

@BigAbe75 It sounds to me that you need to tell your office now that you are going to be sick, this way it should give them plenty of notice!
Burnham was still closed this weekend when I visited. We plan to slip the boat there and park the truck and trailer o/n. Would be nice to have a confirmation if we can get in touch with them.

Alton Marina, IL, would be my favorite place to retrieving here in STL (pool 26), it has a good ramp (most of the time, depends on the water level though) right by the Alton bridge and the highway. They are very accommodating for traveling boaters, and they are usually one of the last marinas to flood in the pool 26 - if high water.

You are welcome to travel with us on Friday, realistically we will be on the road around noon the earliest and we could wait for you and help you in the marina, then take off from there. If a car rental is not an option, there is pretty good Amtrak connection from STL that gets you right downtown Chicago, about the same time as driving or flying all things considered, actually. It can be a pleasant ride.

Keep us posted! Agreed on @BigAbe75.

--

Omg8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
im still very interested in doing this.

Omg8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
figuring out how to get 6 people and my boat to chicago, then my trailer back to stl

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not to discourage anyone but this trip on these dates has its challenges. It will be early in the season and some marinas may still be closed. Time and fuel to do this in two days early in the season is pushing it pretty good. The crew I am going with (@swatski, @robert843, @Betik) is going to be overly prepared for the what ifs with lots of combined experience, and too much testosterone. Just getting out of Chicago past all of the working water front is going to take a bit and getting all the way to Peoria on the first day with the locks and such will mean making sure very prepared. Plan is to bring lots of extra fuel, count on barges tying up the locks and be prepared to jump off the boat with fuel cans to grab fuel from a land based gas station to carry back to the boat if needed. Shelter from the elements will be hard to come by if needed, it could even be rather chilly particullary before noon. The water could be high and have an abundance of floating debris.

It is great have more boats along for the adventure. Everyone should be prepared for what adventure really means in this case traveling on a fixed schedule including perhaps having to go it on their own. I encourage everyone to start to look at this as if you were doing it on your own and make a plan for the route, stops, obstacles, fuel, back up plan, etc. The crew I am with is lucky enough to have a follow vehicle with the boat trailer the whole way. While we have all signed up to put up with the elements the group I am with will have an easy out at the next ramp if needed and may decide to wish others good luck if it gets really bad. I know that sounds harsh but better harsh now than surprised later. The crew I am going with and have mentioned really is a good group that will stop and lend a hand or even take risks for others if the situation dictates. If I were going it in my own boat these are the guys I would follow but I would also be prepared with the right expectations as mentioned.

I am sure @robert843 and @swatski will post more about the marinas, route, and so forth. I just wanted to put this out there as others are considering joining. Again not trying to scare anyone off (the more the merrier) but rather give a bit more detail in what to expect.

Omg8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
High water looks like it may be an issue, Mississippi is almost in a major flood stage right now, and no sign of it going down soon. Will need to keep an eye on that, certain water levels and they close lock and dams to traffic.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is true that this trip has very aggressive objectives and that is why I am planing another trip in July with @Berrie BTW that is when my wife is joining. This weekend trip is madness but my boat is not at risk and the crew is made of people who cross the ocean with a tower up their butt or put Vaseline in private parts so they can do Florida to exhumation in one shot.

If I were you I would ask myself, if I would make this a solo trip. Frankly speaking geting the boat to Chicago and the trailer back is not a big deal at all. You could get someone on uShip to do it for like $600 or $700 plus fuel. Having to potentially navigate during night is the river is what is scaring me shitless

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man you guys are worried about the small stuff. Navigation at night no worries, Fuel we can figure that out its not the middle of the ocean, Marina's being open hell we will dock there even if they are closed or tie up on the side of the river. I'm most concerned with having to do battle with the Asian Carp.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man you guys are worried about the small stuff. Navigation at night no worries, Fuel we can figure that out its not the middle of the ocean, Marina's being open hell we will dock there even if they are closed or tie up on the side of the river. I'm most concerned with having to do battle with the Asian Carp.

Rest assured that is a bigger problem during periods of low water. Needless to say we won't have that problem!

--

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They may not be the heroes we wanted, but they are the heroes we need...