• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chicago to St Louis run 5/4-5/5 Great Loop Run

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just looking into this thread..... There are 2 days planned....... you think that is enough? We did the great loop last year in Chicago and it was 68 miles and it took most of the day. Seems like a great trip and the sandbar activities may make everyone have a late start on day 2. :D
This is organized by someone who owns track ready Ducati and will be riding on @swatski boat. I do not think speed is concern. I am more worried about being a rain or shine event :banghead:

It does sound that you might want to join the July trip though

https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-great-loop-2019-week-long-trip-portage-in-to-st-luis-ish-date-june-29th-to-july-4th.20175/

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just looking into this thread..... There are 2 days planned....... you think that is enough? We did the great loop last year in Chicago and it was 68 miles and it took most of the day. Seems like a great trip and the sandbar activities may make everyone have a late start on day 2. :D
I sure hope we can do it in two days but the first day does concern me as I don’t know how long it’s going to take to clear locks and Chicago

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sure hope we can do it in two days but the first day does concern me as I don’t know how long it’s going to take to clear locks and Chicago
That could be a valid concern! and some flexibility would be good to have to possibly spend more time on "parts unknown" that may be particularly fun.

I must say, while I'm reasonably comfortable with night driving around the Pool 226 here ("Alton Pool"), I'm not sure how well that works up from Peoria on Illinois River. There are some smaller rock dams/L-dikes that USACE sometimes seem to under-advertise in charts that could be serious hazard.

Given we must be back by Sunday night, as some of us will be flying back home Monday first thing, maybe a halfway point could be considered as more flexible - with a possibility of staying the night somewhere North of Peoria?

I just got the copy of the Hay book last night, can't wait to look into it tonight or tomorrow, see what he says on the subject! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1607438569/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski the emergency back up plan will be to stay in Ottawa and dock at starved Rock marina I think we will know pretty early on if we were to ambitious. Right now I’m expecting the first 100 miles to take us 5-7hours but I only expect the last 60 to take 2 hours.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I must say, while I'm reasonably comfortable with night driving around the Pool 226 here ("Alton Pool"), I'm not sure how well that works up from Peoria on Illinois River. There are some smaller rock dams/L-dikes that USACE sometimes seem to under-advertise in charts that could be serious hazard.
--

July 2017 Dejavu alll over again but this time I will be sticking 50 feet from another boat instead of propless.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That could be a valid concern! and some flexibility would be good to have to possibly spend more time on "parts unknown" that may be particularly fun.

Given we must be back by Sunday night, as some of us will be flying back home Monday first thing, maybe a halfway point could be considered as more flexible - with a possibility of staying the night somewhere North of Peoria?

I just got the copy of the Hay book last night, can't wait to look into it tonight or tomorrow, see what he says on the subject! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1607438569/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

--
I have experience with river nav at night. Did it twice. First time with good moon light was not too bad. Second time with nearly no moon light was pucker worthy at times and you never know when a uprooted tree or other debris may be floating down river. All of that was on a river I knew. I said never again that second time. Catching a plane is not worth taking that kind of risk to me and will glady find a new flight if needed and having to make that choice.

Will certainly be more of an adventure seeing how things go. Adventures are good.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like this Hay book, it seems very well put together. Let me know if anyone wants to look up any particular section, happy to send you a scan.
Although also I don't mind supporting this author.
fullsizeoutput_1a7a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1a79.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1a78.jpeg

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is Ottawa and Starved Rock, as we may need to stop there o/n.
BB98CCA1-A394-4AF9-8B40-49555756A2DF.jpeg F4F35C4A-471B-4C47-806D-B2A9FAB94D00.jpeg
9F97B366-E449-41FD-9BFE-4E3A5FD53C9A.jpeg
23638CFD-89AE-42B0-ACA1-86561A00E4AB.jpeg

Mark Brannon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
If the weather is favorable, I may join you guys and head as far as Peoria and then head back toward Chicago the next day. I grew up in Peru, am familiar with the Starved Rock area, and would love to try this. One of my passengers has a daughter who lives in Peoria, so might be a good place to stop and have a night out before heading back on Sunday. This leg sounds fun

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the weather is favorable, I may join you guys and head as far as Peoria and then head back toward Chicago the next day. I grew up in Peru, am familiar with the Starved Rock area, and would love to try this. One of my passengers has a daughter who lives in Peoria, so might be a good place to stop and have a night out before heading back on Sunday. This leg sounds fun
I added you and @Omg8 with @ACrews to the possibly attending list in the first post just keep us posted

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I started working on the great loop this year and have decided to break it up into sections with @Andy S to try and get it knocked out over the next few years. We have completed all of GA and SC this year and plan to tackle several sections next year. One being part of the Great lakes section this being Chicago to St Louis.

We plan to do this stretch with @swatski who has been kind enough to let us ride with him. The trip plan begins with a launch at Burnham Marina in Chicago it has easy access from I-55 and is only two miles from the Chicago Canal. We will depart on Saturday 5/4/18 at 8am and run through the Chicago Canal at mile marker 330 though downtown Chicago and down the river to Starved Rock Marina at mile marker 233. We will refuel at Starved Rock Marina and grab lunch at Captains Cove. We plan to continue down the river ending at mile marker 164 at the Peoria Marina for the night. Hotels in Peoria will be at each individuals preference. We will plan to depart Peoria Marina at 8am we will travel 40 mile to Tall Timbers Marina at mile marker 120 and refuel. This is the last fuel till Grafton Harbor which is at mile marker 0 which mean 120 miles no fuel all boats will need to bring extra fuel just incase. I would estimate 15 gallons would be safe for 210/240 boats and 190 boats will need probably 30 gallons extra. There are a few stops that could be made along the way in an emergency situation for fuel but would require carrying fuel cans off the water to a gas station these will not be planned but if needed made. We will plan to stop and grab lunch at mile marker 20 at the Illinois River Dock Restaurant there is a fuel station not far from there in an emergency situation but please plan to carry enough fuel to make the 120 mile trek. We plan to refuel at Grafton Harbor and continue on to @swatski marina for us but from this point I would recommend the ending point for others be Alton Marina which is 15 miles from Grafton they have a beautiful secured facility for us to leave vehicles over night if needed. This is a one way trip you will be responsible for getting between St Louis and Chicago as we are starting in one spot and ending in another. I will likely be flying into Chicago for the Start and probably be flying out of Chicago so I maybe able to assist in getting some people from the St louis Area back to Chicago or possible help getting trucks and trailers to St Louis on Friday prior. If you have any questions feel free to reach out. I will tag a few below who showed interest from another thread if interested in doing let us know so we can keep track.

@robert843 @Andy S @bronze_10
@swatski @Bruce @Wesley D
@Amar Nanduri @OperationROL
@BigAbe75 @Ramblin Wreck @Shannon
@ACrews @1948Isaac @Cwigg951
@Speedling @veedubtek
@Mainah @DieselCamel
@zipper @Wisefam22
@2kwik4u @Seadeals
@Wisefam22 @JeffVans
@Betik @NC_Mid_Atlantic@NC_New_Bern_to_Beaufort
@Shelbyville
Committed
@robert843
@swatski
@Andy S
@Amar Nanduri
@Mainah

Possible
@ACrews
@Omg8 @Mark Brannon
Appologies for a late response, I am in if you guys ever make it over this way and want to do the Canadian/North of the Border part of the Loop up to Montreal and the St. Laurence to Lake Ontario. Spring is a busy time on the farm...getting all the boats ready to splash and all. ;)Wishing I had time to join you guys sooner, another to add to the bucket list. Always wishing you fair weather on the leg.

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My probability of making it just went from 90%+ to single digits.
Will update as we get closer.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My probability of making it just went from 90%+ to single digits.
Will update as we get closer.
We have seen you do more than one trip defying probability!
I'd say, single digits on Betik's Probability Scale sounds pretty high! lol, I'm not too worried.
Unless... she loves driving the truck so much you are stuck w/motorcycle and prius...

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have seen you do more than one trip defying probability!
I'd say, single digits on Betik's Probability Scale sounds pretty high! lol, I'm not too worried.
Unless... she loves driving the truck so much you are stuck w/motorcycle and prius...
--
I do get lucky very often when it comes to low probabilities.
I could always pull the ski with the motorcycle, right !!!! It has a manual transmission so it should pull it right !!!!

PS. I run into @BillD videos from the 2017 crossing and I am trying to listen in to the radio chatter and write a transcript for the fateful morning.....

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm probably gonna have to bow out. That's mine & Meg's Anniversary month & I'm sure she'd kill me if I try & drag her off for a "rush" getaway, especially that far away with so many variables. We will try to join with some of the group if y'all get down this way. Hated to ditch out, but summer looking to be really busy at work & just hate for her to divorce me so early in our marriage.

Of course I'm still gonna follow along in all the festivities. Would love to do this trip, so I'll live vicariously thru all of you that get to attend. Safe travels to all.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
PS. I run into @BillD videos from the 2017 crossing and I am trying to listen in to the radio chatter and write a transcript for the fateful morning.....
That radio chatter is going to be hard to decipher, I think. @Bill D has had a lot of footage I think he was shooting with two GoPros and it was all GPS linked for position, I don;t think we have ever seen all of it. The few clips he posted - it was amazing how tame things looked in that video..., I think he gave up and they turned around only after his seats started flying across the cockpit and the wife became... (not happy), lol. It was quite rough, actually.
We lost contact pretty early on - out of the gate - of Port Everglades being the last group out and trying to circumnavigate that storm cell which was brutal with huge swells, lightning and waterworks.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yes you are right, it is 4 clips and chatter is difficult to follow especially when turned on the radio.
However, based on the chatter my boat was dead in the water for about 40 seconds. And surprisingly enough I was pretty calm during the calamity.

I know that you mean by the seat cushions. Sarah tried to pull a Daizy Duke move to fix the cushion while General Lee was flying and I said " SARAH F*CK THE SEATS, JUST HOLD FOR DEAR LIFE"

BTW: have I ever shown you this still from Rana's video ?

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes you are right, it is 4 clips and chatter is difficult to follow especially when turned on the radio.
However, based on the chatter my boat was dead in the water for about 40 seconds. And surprisingly enough I was pretty calm during the calamity.

I know that you mean by the seat cushions. Sarah tried to pull a Daizy Duke move to fix the cushion while General Lee was flying and I said " SARAH F*CK THE SEATS, JUST HOLD FOR DEAR LIFE"

BTW: have I ever shown you this still from Rana's video ?
That's a great shot of a "screamer"? lol. Most of our "action" was in the dark in driving rain with visibility of about a foot.

Well, rest assured that is not going to be repeated on the Illinois River waterway advanture in May, lol.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I could always pull the ski with the motorcycle, right !!!! It has a manual transmission so it should pull it right !!!!
I have already booked flights but if you pull the ski up I will change it and do so as well.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have already booked flights but if you pull the ski up I will change it and do so as well.
If you feel crazy enough to ride ski at the beginning of May in the midwest, I will very seriously consider to bring it for you. It will make a hell of video. When is the latest that you need to know if you are riding a ski OR riding @swatski ?