• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Corrosion or Electrolysis / Leaking Clean Out Plug

When you look around in that compartment it’s crazy how many things penetrate the hull below the water line and they all have the junk silicone. Something to look into if anyone removes the impeller and shaft would be a possible replacement for the plastic piece that penetrates the hull with a metal fitting so that the hose could be clamped on Metal the with no need for silicone . Or just remove the plastic piece and use good silicone so it seals from the other side . The wad of silicone on the interior is really a secondary bead it should be sealed on the outside and I think that’s the piece that sometimes gets damaged when some people suck up a rope.

When you look around in that compartment it’s crazy how many things penetrate the hull below the water line and they all have the junk silicone. Something to look into if anyone removes the impeller and shaft would be a possible replacement for the plastic piece that penetrates the hull with a metal fitting so that the hose could be clamped on Metal the with no need for silicone . Or just remove the plastic piece and use good silicone so it seals from the other side . The wad of silicone on the interior is really a secondary bead it should be sealed on the outside and I think that’s the piece that sometimes gets damaged when some people suck up a rope.
Aloha and good morning @Cambo I’m a little confused on the plastic piece u r referring too. Is it on the diagram that @zipper posted?

This link shows in more detail whats going on in that area page 2 post 39 has a summary @Dave burke posted some great info. By any chance @rkim808 did you suck up a rope?

View attachment 107984
No haven’t sucked a rope yet, knock on wood. But I did suck up some fishing mono once maybe a 10’ section of what looked like 15# Test line. But it just wrapped around the center of the shaft and I cut off with a razor knife.

@Cambo just read that post by @Dave burke very informative. Was wondering what that white part was. I don’t think it’s cracked on either side cause it seems solid. I’m hoping it’s just a half Okole(ass) silicon job by the Yamaha boat guys that built the boat, and that I’ve solved the problem. I’m taking her down to the ramp today to see if I solved this issue, fingers crossed.

The white part is called the joint pipe this is the part that penetrates the hull and the rubber hose clamps on . The impeller shaft passes through that piece into the rubber hose ending at the spline in the large bearing housing .You wiped the silicone onto the hose this piece is what the hose is attached to . You should be good if it does still leak it will be very slight keep us posted additional silicone on the outside could help as well .

The white part is called the joint pipe this is the part that penetrates the hull and the rubber hose clamps on . The impeller shaft passes through that piece into the rubber hose ending at the spline in the large bearing housing .You wiped the silicone onto the hose this piece is what the hose is attached to . You should be good if it does still leak it will be very slight keep us posted additional silicone on the outside could help as well .
Aloha Gang, so went on a Sea trail yesterday. Conditions were Dead Variable Winds(1-3knots) and no swell, so just Glassy flat like a lake??. Decided to put her in the water at the Lihi Ramp 5mins from my house, put her in the water tied her at the dock. Went to rinse off the truck and trailer, then went to check on my sealant job. Popped open inspection hatch and dry as can be no leaks. I still had the kill switches taped up and started the engines and went back to check again and still dry as can be. My nephew and a friend jumped on and we went out. Took her out we did our Pule(prayer??) and we were off. Went down the Eastside Coastline along Kapaa for about 15-20mins, jumped back to inspect again still dry as can be. It was so flat I was able to honk it going 47-48mph in the Pacific Ocean, now that’s a rare occasion lol. We cruised along the coastline for maybe 40miles, didn’t see or hear the bilge come on once. We pulled into Molowa’a Bay had lunch sat and talked story for about an hour still no bilge coming on. We then Zipped back up the coastline back to the Lihi put her on the trailer gave her a wash flushed the motors then went home. I don’t think the bilge came on at all, so happy think got that leak issue taken cared of. Just wanted to say mahalo nui loa(Thank u very much) for all ur advice, both me and my Ohana(family) greatly appreciate it.??

Great to hear of the success let's all head to Hawaii to celebrate ;) . We are expecting snow here you are very furtunate to live and play in one of the best places on the planet. Time to dust off the snowboard and ride the frozen tundra.

Great to hear of the success let's all head to Hawaii to celebrate ;) . We are expecting snow here you are very furtunate to live and play in one of the best places on the planet. Time to dust off the snowboard and ride the frozen tundra.
That sounds like a plan come on down. One the other hand me and my Ohana has never been snowboarding, maybe we come there to celebrate lol?. I didn’t take much pics of the day but I did get take this one. U can c how flat it was, and we had a huge cloud bank roll in. There was a spot that opened up and the sun shined on Mount Wai’ale’ale its was beautiful.
1BACA405-EB39-40EB-B29F-9F7B4A8CD8FA.jpeg
Picture doesn’t really show how majestic it was. We ran across a pod of Spinner Dolphins too I’ll try attach that vid too.??

glad to hear you got this fixed, it stinks you had to mess with tracking it down and that it was poor manufacturing but in the long run it gets you much more familiar with your boat an problem solving in case you have an emergency,

I would still highly recommend a 2nd bilge pump located at a higher level than the original so you if you see that 2nd working you know you've got an issue, also the high water alarm would be a great addition in case you have an issue while cruising and don't notice the bilge working,

thank you also for the pictures,

glad to hear you got this fixed, it stinks you had to mess with tracking it down and that it was poor manufacturing but in the long run it gets you much more familiar with your boat an problem solving in case you have an emergency,

I would still highly recommend a 2nd bilge pump located at a higher level than the original so you if you see that 2nd working you know you've got an issue, also the high water alarm would be a great addition in case you have an issue while cruising and don't notice the bilge working,

thank you also for the pictures,
Aloha kakahi’aka(good morning) @Scottintexas yes secondary bilge going in this weekend. And yes it is a sad when u find out the issue was from the manufacture, but like u said it does get me more familiar with my Yammy. Now just gotta solve this salt water corrosion issue.??

A thread of what some folks do here in the Ocean. https://jetboaters.net/threads/anti-corrosion-silicone-spray-question.5728/ and make sure your zincs, sacrificial anodes, are actually zinc and not magnesium.
Aloha @zipper I thought all the OEM anodes Yamaha used thought the years were zinc? Did u add anodes to ur ride plate and intake grate? I going to reliving them and powder coating them as they r looking pretty ugly I don’t like that. Should I drill and add those flat donut anodes to it???

Back