• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Corrosion or Electrolysis / Leaking Clean Out Plug

Tie it up at the dock and run the engines at idle is one way. Yes you will need to tape or secure the cleanout safety kill switches if you want to inspect while motor is running.

Tie it up at the dock and run the engines at idle is one way. Yes you will need to tape or secure the cleanout safety kill switches if you want to inspect while motor is running.
Aloha @haknslash so can’t do this on the trailer on the ramp, need to dock her? I’ll be by myself and the ramp I’m going to is super small and a lot of traffic. Don’t want to hog up the small dock and make guys grumpy lol.

taping down the switches is fine, the only time it becomes an issue is if you remove a clean out plug with the engine running that is why they make it so the engine is not able to run when you get to the clean out plugs.
I still say look at each intermediate bearing and if you see any water dripping from the bearing unit it's bad.

taping down the switches is fine, the only time it becomes an issue is if you remove a clean out plug with the engine running that is why they make it so the engine is not able to run when you get to the clean out plugs.
I still say look at each intermediate bearing and if you see any water dripping from the bearing unit it's bad.
Yes I’ll be inspecting them too. My LS2000 intermediate bearings always go bad for some reason, and have changed them numerous times. I need to figure this out for piece of mind and sense of security.

get some fresh silicone on let it dry 24 hrs then drop it in the water to see if that helped

also tighten the bolts were the exhaust flange comes out of the hull

some good videos of things to check

I always back up my hose clamps with heavy duty cable ties and I have found numerous clamps rusted and laying on the floor over the years.

Aloha @rkim808 Enclosing a few screenshots from my M/Y manual. There are only a few ways that water can enter while the boat is stationary. A leak that causes the bilge pump to kick on a couple of times at lunch is a big leak. You ruled out the drain plug already. If you are getting water in your cleanout tubes from water backflowing up the cleanout tray drain tube from waves. The water, if the tube is full, could be leaking out the top of the tube, bad/loose clamp. Or out the bottom of the tube, bad clamp and sealant. Easy to check with a garden hose while on the trailer to see if this water is getting into the bilge. If you were getting blow-by on the cleanout plug you would know it, however a small leak could be stopped with a little silicone o-ring swimming pool grease, if in that picture of the leak is from water on top of the plugs. If it is bilge water leaking out thru the int. bearing then it leads me to agree with @Cobra Jet Steering LLC 's suspitions. I know your boat is different, but not that much. Removing the cleanout tray and dipping her in the water may expose the leak quickly. Good Luck.

Screenshot_20191108-100431_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20191108-102210_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:
I will agree with everyone and add that this is one of the drawbacks of jet boats, you'll have to exercise some patience and just try to track it down, it may take a few hours or a few trips on the boat to feel like you've solved it because it could be multiple points,

It may also be a good time to consider a 2nd bilge pump and a high water alarm, boating where you are I would hate to abandon ship and next stop is the Orient

I must be missing something, in your top picture it appears that the casting has porosity (poor casting) not enough to be a water leaking issue.
The second picture appears as the the casting is literally cracked in half and it follows clear though the hull? Is this an illusion or is the bottom of your hull cracked?

Ah, after looking at it again I see it is s stream of water, need to put my glasses on the next time!!!

get some fresh silicone on let it dry 24 hrs then drop it in the water to see if that helped

also tighten the bolts were the exhaust flange comes out of the hull

some good videos of things to check

Mahalo nui loa @Cambo those videos r great I’ll be checking all that today.??

Aloha @rkim808 Enclosing a few screenshots from my M/Y manual. There are only a few ways that water can enter while the boat is stationary. A leak that causes the bilge pump to kick on a couple of times at lunch is a big leak. You ruled out the drain plug already. If you are getting water in your cleanout tubes either from water backflowing up the cleanout tray drain tube from waves. The water, if the tube is full, could be leaking out the top of the tube, bad/loose clamp. Or out the bottom of the tube, bad clamp and sealant. Easy to check with a garden hose while on the trailer to see if this water is getting into the bilge. If you were getting blow-by on the cleanout plug you would know it, however a small leak could be stopped with a little silicone o-ring swimming pool grease, if in that picture of the leak is from water on top of the plugs. If it is bilge water leaking out thru the int. bearing then it leads me to agree with @Cobra Jet Steering LLC 's suspitions. I know your boat is different, but not that much. Removing the cleanout tray and dipping her in the water may expose the leak quickly. Good Luck.

View attachment 107955

View attachment 107956
Aloha and mahalo nui @zipper I’ll be removing that tray today and backing her down in the water at the ramp. Hopefully I can find quickly and address the issue/s. Then I’ll do an inspection of all hose clamps and sealants too. We’ve been having great conditions and I want to shoot across to Ni’ihau. Need to get this handled first.????

I will agree with everyone and add that this is one of the drawbacks of jet boats, you'll have to exercise some patience and just try to track it down, it may take a few hours or a few trips on the boat to feel like you've solved it because it could be multiple points,

It may also be a good time to consider a 2nd bilge pump and a high water alarm, boating where you are I would hate to abandon ship and next stop is the Orient
Aloha @Scottintexas and yes for us next landfall is Japan, well going in the normal currents.

Ah, after looking at it again I see it is s stream of water, need to put my glasses on the next time!!!
Aloha @Mike Clark and yes that’s a pic of the stream of water leaking out from the clean out plug. Glad that it’s not a crack????

Aloha Gang @haknslash @zipper @Scottintexas @Cobra Jet Steering LLC @Cambo @Mike Clark I found the leak and it’s BAD like I thought. So removed the clean out plug tray, taped the kill switches went to the river boat ramp. Backed her in seen see was already taking on water slowly, had no idea where yet. Started her up and went back to look again seen the water by drain plug was little deeper and notice water running down the side of the dry fiberglass under the exhaust tube/hose. Stuck my head in for a better look and BINGO!
3EC7D0EB-9B30-4176-8FBE-CB2C13F0745F.jpegF059DD3B-B70F-409F-8756-6090D7433153.jpeg2F434BA1-5D7B-4172-8D50-33CB544EE8DD.jpeg4A1991C5-7DB9-4A1D-88A4-751664D9DE3A.png
So I think this is where the shafts r going through from the intermediate bearing to the pump right. All the clamps r tight and seem to be leaking from under the silicon. How do I address this, just pull the old silicon off dry out good and apply 5200? Is there a bad bearing behind that? Let me know ur thoughts.

Great find ! Pull the old silicone off I would even double up the clamps if that's possible I have not had good luck with 5200 it seems to run I think others mentioned life caulk. check out this vid

Great find ! Pull the old silicone off I would even double up the clamps if that's possible I have not had good luck with 5200 it seems to run I think others mentioned life caulk. check out this vid

I know for a fact I’m not going to find that locally here in Hawaii lol. And u r right 5200 is kind of runny.

It doesn’t look like that is silicone is that a hard plastic like material ?

It's hard to get a reference with your close up shots
Do you think its part #4 in zippers schematic of the intermediate assy above?

I don't think you'll have a bearing issue because your still on the wet side, if it was leaking on the engine bay side of the bearing i would be concerned

I don't have my svc manual to tell you what it specifies that goo to be

It's hard to get a reference with your close up shots
Do you think its part #4 in zippers schematic of the intermediate assy above?

I don't think you'll have a bearing issue because your still on the wet side, if it was leaking on the engine bay side of the bearing i would be concerned

I don't have my svc manual to tell you what it specifies that goo to be

Yes it is #4 and yes on the wet side so no bearing. The OEM silicon or what ever this Grey stuff is wasn’t even completely around the area. Here’s a pic of both side:
629FDF31-1D3C-4A0A-9F10-29D971EF4384.jpeg
That’s starboard and it just fell off.
22F74FD7-9232-4696-9843-1F57CBD99B08.jpeg
That’s port side came off in couple pieces. But as u can see I don’t think they even went completely around. That’s y was leaking so bad, IMO. Called my Yamaha tech he told me to use this:
5BC31062-CAC2-412F-8846-02274BF96694.jpeg
I just cleaned up the area dried it out real good, this stuff is kind of sloppy. Or could just look that way cause I put a lot lol?. It ain’t pretty that’s for sure, but hope it solves the leaking issue.
A22801F7-C3D5-4558-89CC-C22A8A863046.jpeg22D7382F-0873-473A-9310-AC27F883A2AE.jpeg

Back