• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Could electric hydrofoils be the future of boating?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is a neat concept and I think this boat would be fine for someone who doesn’t venture far from the dock, the sight of land, and who likes to boat for a very short time. I’m sure it is trick and beyond.

I was waiting for and was not surprised by the designers claim that the boat is 80% energy efficient (I’m so glad he didn’t spout some global warming .. oh wait that didn’t work umm climate change crap) that is well… preposterous. The boat itself may be 80% efficient at “using“ energy, but is not 80% energy efficient. One has to consider where the electricity came from, what was the efficiency of the power plant aka heat rate, how much were the AC losses between the generator and plug where the boats charger plugs in at. Just your basic lie of omission. It comes down to energy density stored Aka fuel, whether it is gasoline at 95,000 btus per gallon, or how many KWh‘s are in the battery, and like gasoline powered boats, the electric boats have a sweet spot for consumption vs. range or time.

@FSH 210 Sport that was a remarkable misunderstanding of the the sentence "Candela’s electric hydrofoil system reduces water friction by 80% compared to a planing boat and makes for a completely different – and better – ride."

Hydrofoils are widely known for reducing friction and have nothing to do with the politics that you interjected.

@FSH 210 Sport that was a remarkable misunderstanding of the the sentence "Candela’s electric hydrofoil system reduces water friction by 80% compared to a planing boat and makes for a completely different – and better – ride."

Hydrofoils are widely known for reducing friction and have nothing to do with the politics that you interjected.

You are correct in that I did not hear him correctly, 80% less friction not energy consumption efficiency. I would not consider me not hearing that correctly as “remarkable”.. just a mistake.

My other statements are not political, they are based in facts, not my facts, just electrical math in so far as energy generation, losses and consumption are concerned.

I based what I wrote on my mistake of 80% less energy consumption instead of 80% less drag, but what I stated was true in so far as electrical theory, generation, transmission and conversion losses are concerned, especially when it comes to battery powered vehicles, and or large scale LiFe batteries. Typically, at best losses on the conversion from AC to DC are 8-10%

So the more I think about it now, 80% less drag does equate to 80% greater efficiency, but not in the sense that I was originally thinking of.

Back