• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

CoVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2 Information and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 44 year old, previously race running, friend walked out of a hospital today, using a walker, after a two month stay for unvaccinated CoVID. I am happy that he survived. I hope he will fully recover. But I wish he had protected himself so that his illness would have been less severe.

BFE2E311-12BA-4D14-97F4-6278DED6D9CC.jpeg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good to see the Pro-vacc bias is strong here! @Mesa50 don't even bother with these guys. They live in a fear bubble.
People are literally afraid of a vaccine that’s been administered billions of times with absolutely minimal real adverse effects.
Is that a fear bubble or rational brave adults?

TX_Mercenary

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
People are literally afraid of a vaccine that’s been administered billions of times with absolutely minimal real adverse effects.
Is that a fear bubble or rational brave adults?
whats gets me about the fear bubble is those who have been vaccinated and act like the vaccine it isnt going to help them. still cooped up in their little hole. its the flu season now and this Omicron Persei 8 variant has practically eradicated the flu apparently

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
whats gets me about the fear bubble is those who have been vaccinated and act like the vaccine it isnt going to help them. still cooped up in their little hole. its the flu season now and this Omicron Persei 8 variant has practically eradicated the flu apparently
Using your state of Texas as an example 1.4% of known SARS-CoV-2 infections have resulted in death. Vaccination greatly improves those odds but there is no reason to intentionally bring that risk upon oneself. Especially for those over 65 and the immunosuppressed and with the highest level of hospitalization during this pandemic. People that are taking precautions reduce the risk for everyone. Every person removed from the chain of infection reduces the rate and breadth of infection.

Unfortunately Influenza is back.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 1.32.18 PM.png

TX_Mercenary

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
100% my preference is to be vaccinated as me and my family are, just for my peace of mind of improving survivability, but im not gonna knock on someone who doesnt want to be vaccinated, its their choice if they dont want to take the necessary precautions. The death rate is low and somewhat debatable. Someone dying in an accident or of cancer or some odd ball death unrelated to any symptoms to covid and they have been tested positive for covid counts as a covid death. Totally agree vaccination greatly improves the odds. also agree older than 65 and immuno-suppressed should be taking more precautions.
My annoyance comes from those who are healthy young have the "chicken little mentality, look the sky is falling". I've seen some pretty ridiculous stuff. Like my In-Law's .... they are in their backyard if they hear or see anyone outside in the adjacent neighbors in their backyard they immediately run inside their home. These backyards are like a good 100 ft between the houses. I've Seen random person with bags of groceries immediately returned when someone crossed into their 6ft imaginary bubble as they were leaving the grocery store. I mean grocery didnt stack themselves on shelf or the cashier is probably within that bubble as well. Some folks out there flooding the emergency room thinking they have covid just from a cough when they test negative and then boom comeback in a couple of days later for contracting COVID after going to the hospital.
Then there is the hoarders of testers, testing the crap out of themselves with COVID tests everyday buying them in bulk, whats happens when you get a false positive. These people go to the hospital thinking they have covid and if they didnt contract it, they more than likely sealed the deal going to the hospital getting it for sure. Im not saying everyone who tests postive goes to the hospitals but we have a lot of hypochondriac type of personalities out there that dont understand to stay home if you only have mild to no symptoms. Imagine buying pregnancy tests in bulk except for now you will know if you have COVID baby. As my wife is a nurse she tells me these stories. I Hate hospitals.
Just take the necessary precautions as needed. People need to quit hoarding the toilet paper and stocking up like its the apocalypse. COVID isnt going anywhere and its here to stay with all of its mutations.
With that being said, having COVID doesnt mean death is guaranteed and vice versa vaccination doesnt guarantee your life being saved. We do what we can to stay to prevent any ailments, to stay healthy and enjoying our lives not endangering our loved ones and thank god for his blessings each and everyday.
My lil family and i are naturally a hermit crabs anyways (meaning we didnt really do social gatherings with the masses to begin with, even before the pandemic, we just do our own thing). We love to hangout with each other doing outdoorsy things. Some of the most isolated people i know have contracted COVID but nothing more than sniffles and also known folks that have been hospitalized and had to attend 2 funerals of deaths in late 2020 and early 2021 from one who was vaccinated and one not vaccinated.
Since your friend has somewhat recovered from COVID do you think he should still get vaccinated?
I draw the line at 3. Its just utterly ridiculous having to go for a 4th or 5th booster shot within a 1 year time span. That has got to be a profit game now for the Big-Pharma at that point. The chase game will never end ,if we keep this up. Going forward in 2022 im hoping they just need combine the flu and latest covid vaccine into 1 dose per year to keep up with the latest mutant freak virus. Thats my rant about COVID sorry for the long story

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@TX_Mercenary, thank you for being vaccinated.

I disagree with your downplaying of CoVID deaths. My state of Arkansas has specifically required reporting of deaths with versus deaths from and the deaths with are very low at 217 out of 9,462. But I understand how such thinking makes many of us feel better so it is very difficult to overcome. In 2020 there were more than 350,000 excess deaths, in the US, attributed directly to CoVID out of a total excess of more than 500,000 compared to previous years. Those numbers will be larger for 2021.

I do not see how it harms you if someone is overly cautious. Those that take extra precautions to reduce their risk of contraction by masking or distancing and those that reduce their risk of spreading by testing are reducing the burden on all of us just like when people get vaccinated. At this time with record case numbers and record hospitalizations they are contributing even more to preserving hospital and ICU space for those not taking precautions.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also, the article you provided is counting people who have not received their third and fourth boosters in the unprotected category. Back in June and July of last year, Israel was counted as the highest vaccinated country in the world, while also having the fastest transmission rate in the world by August. The article you provided makes it look like if you don’t take vaccines like vitamins, you lose your vaccination status.
I honestly do not understand you last statement.

Did you read the article that I linked?

I think you missed the point of the Israeli newspaper article that I linked. "1 million refused the booster while just 110,000 out of 1.2 million young kids got the vaccine" Granted Israel only just starting vaccinating kids 5 - 11 years old three weeks ago, but if you look at the total population currently eligible for vaccination (including young children), the Israeli rate is currently at 60%.

My guess is that the numbers that you are cited are for a certain age range, maybe 18+, but I don't know. That is why I noted, "I suspect that you are looking at different populations than Julian."

I have no agenda other than wanting to have a better understanding of what is going on in the world. That's why I found an Israeli newspaper to try and understand what is going on in Israel.

Jim

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
The most amazing thing about CV19, has been watching two political groups completely swap positions with each other. It sounds like a Victorian era stage play comedy.
When Mr. T announced that a vaccine would be ready in less than a year, “The science” went nuts, and proclaimed “He is lying. A vaccine will not be ready in less than a year and if it is, it won’t be safe, and I’m not taking the Mr. T vaccine”. The “uneducated” proclaimed “It will be safe, and I can’t wait to get it”! Once we had the vaccine in less than a year just like Mr. T stated, “The science” demanded that everyone must get the safest and most effective vaccine in history. The “uneducated” suddenly decided that the vaccine had been rushed, and decided that “the science” was correct in the beginning when they lied about the impossible timing. “The science decided that Mr. T’s rushed deadly vaccine was now okay to take as many times as flintstone vitamins.
The group that always claims to have “the science” on their side have also recently begun to state that the death count is overstated, but only under the new guy. It was completely insane for the previous guy’s followers to think the death rate was exaggerated. Now that the death toll is greater under a certain individual, than it was a previous individual, the death toll is suddenly “mostly people with at least 4 other morbidities, that likely wouldn’t have survived any additional sickness”…….

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
At a time when the current variant is highly contagious, we are back to masking and social distancing. Not a fear bubble, but why in hell would we want to get sick (even a mild case of Covid) if we could avoid it? We do go out and do those thing we need or want to do. Busy day today. In addition to driving almost 300 miles, we met with the construction supervisor of our home build, looked at new furniture, picked our countertop slabs, all while masked and socially distanced. We do these things for our protection and out of respect for the folks that we interact with. ;)

Jim

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Supposedly, everyone is going to get the omicron variant. It is so contagious, that nothing can stop
It. Hopefully, it is as mild as a common cold like many doctors have stated.

TX_Mercenary

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
It doesnt harm anyone for being overly cautious. but it just goes to show some of the most ridiculous things we see in human nature. i get that taking the extra precautions to reduce their risk. But lets have some common sense.
To the person that returned bags of groceries because someone stepped in their bubble? if they feel that admantly about it, just wipe it down with disinfectant. he probably went and got fast-food and microwaved it
To the in-laws not being in your own backyard while wearing a mask on and the neighbor is about 100 ft away? if they feel their neighbor has covid more than 100ft away, wear a hazmat suit if you want to enjoy your backyard more
the moment someone takes an object inside their home or they enter a public area, contracting COVID has a high probability.
How does testing reduce the spread of COVID? Being away from others reduce the spread by assuming everyone has COVID and not being within objects that has been tainted by COVID assuming everything has COVID.
Are you gonna test every person yourself or any object you handle for COVID.
Just knowing yourself being tested negative doesnt stop the spread. Now say for example you tested positive of covid, then yes you should stay away from others. But lets say this, you tested positive for COVID, you have been vaccinated, you can say for sure you fully immunized. You show no signs of any symptoms. what do you do then? you going to keep self quarantining from your household? COVID is here to stay and all its going to do is keep on spreading. There is no stopping it. Thats why vaccination is important and people need stop living in fear. There is only soo much one can do.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Supposedly, everyone is going to get the omicron variant. It is so contagious, that nothing can stop
It. Hopefully, it is as mild as a common cold like many doctors have stated.
Nationally we have the highest hospitalizations CoVID that we have had at any point during this pandemic. Omicron may be milder on an individual basis especially for the vaccinated and previously recovered but societally it is quite a problem.

As for your political comment, I believe we can agree that politics has worsened this pandemic. We need to put politics aside to end this pandemic and to keep politics off of this forum so that we can continue participating. We should look for understanding from the scientists developing and testing treatments not from politicians.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The most amazing thing about CV19, has been watching two political groups completely swap positions with each other. It sounds like a Victorian era stage play comedy.
When Mr. T announced that a vaccine would be ready in less than a year, “The science” went nuts, and proclaimed “He is lying. A vaccine will not be ready in less than a year and if it is, it won’t be safe, and I’m not taking the Mr. T vaccine”. The “uneducated” proclaimed “It will be safe, and I can’t wait to get it”! Once we had the vaccine in less than a year just like Mr. T stated, “The science” demanded that everyone must get the safest and most effective vaccine in history. The “uneducated” suddenly decided that the vaccine had been rushed, and decided that “the science” was correct in the beginning when they lied about the impossible timing. “The science decided that Mr. T’s rushed deadly vaccine was now okay to take as many times as flintstone vitamins.
The group that always claims to have “the science” on their side have also recently begun to state that the death count is overstated, but only under the new guy. It was completely insane for the previous guy’s followers to think the death rate was exaggerated. Now that the death toll is greater under a certain individual, than it was a previous individual, the death toll is suddenly “mostly people with at least 4 other morbidities, that likely wouldn’t have survived any additional sickness”…….
I think this is what the politicians are repeating to adjust the facts to their message. I think most voters are much more consistent in their original belief. The discussion turns political quickly and we don't have the right spaces to discuss respectfully. I will grant you: Your point is extremely well made, in that the politicians quickly adjusted, but even when the groups are guided back to center (Former president that pushed hard for vaccine creation, now advocating for vaccine, for example) The messages tend to be ignored by the masses.

It's about Communications and Freedom of speech., and how news and information is now consumed and distributed.

Not saying good or bad but..

Before, Freedom of expression granted you the power to print leaflets and stand in corners screaming your lungs out. Any more dissemination of "wild" or "unpopular" ideas required some elbow grease, or media such as print, radio or TV, controlled and filtered by Editors. Some suppression, but also some filtering and clean up of fringe garbage.

Now: Anyone with a phone creates professional looking video, news clip/news print looking pdf, audio, etc, with no editorial control, whether foreign or domestic, can disseminate whatever message, regardless or truth or lack thereof, fueled only by consumption interest. Taking advantage of "Brandolini's law", also known as the bullshit asymmetry principle. (Much easier to lie than to disprove the lie)
this creates an echo chamber where you are continuously engaged by whatever information most attracts you, independent of truth.

How do we improve this before it all goes to the crapper? I wish I knew.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
^^^ Adding to this, DeepFakes are getting easier to make and harder to decipher. You can watch a video some one saying something or doing something that they never did.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Duke university is studying horse paste for covid in a double blind study.
Yes. They are not the only ones. I'm very curious to see that there is only one investigator registered. This study started in may of last year and is still in recruitment phase. Anticipated preliminary data in Dec 2022. I'm confused as to why the website says open next to the drug names. I assume this means open label. But the study is registered as a double blind study. In any case, the more research the better.

Last edited:

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
By horse paste, do you mean ivermectin? I recently found a nih, and cdc report on ivermectin from 2011 stating that it was a miracle drug capable of stopping all sorts of diseases. In fact, it may have miraculous potential for all sorts of off label use. They also said that it was as safe and effective as aspirin, and penicillin, and that people in third world countries take it like vitamin supplements. So why all the negative propaganda? Could it be that it isn’t profitable enough to admit a drug that costs pennies per dose is effective?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@tabbibus I believe “Open” is in the sense they are now accepting new participants for each of the studies three meds. For a while they were not accepting anyone for the ivermectin portion of the study because of supply chain issues.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
By horse paste, do you mean ivermectin? I recently found a nih, and cdc report on ivermectin from 2011 stating that it was a miracle drug capable of stopping all sorts of diseases. In fact, it may have miraculous potential for all sorts of off label use. They also said that it was as safe and effective as aspirin, and penicillin, and that people in third world countries take it like vitamin supplements. So why all the negative propaganda? Could it be that it isn’t profitable enough to admit a drug that costs pennies per dose is effective?
Um. That link is not a NIH nor a CDC report

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@tabbibus I believe “Open” is in the sense they are now accepting new participants for each of the studies three meds. For a while they were not accepting anyone for the ivermectin portion of the study because of supply chain issues.
Makes sense. My brain might've been too tired last night haha. We had 5 deaths. Silver lining? We have beds again!

Status
Not open for further replies.