• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Gantlin Products, the creator of the WAKE WEDGE is currently running a Group Buy for those of you that want a better, cleaner wake to surf behind your Jetboat! This Group Buy expires on April 1st, so get your order in ASAP to jump on this once a year discount on the Wake Wedge. The discount could go as high as 15% off!

(You can click the X in the upper right to dismiss this notice)

DIY Steering Cable Luber

JetPowered

Jet Boat Junkie
Ratings
306 25
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I would up the pressure. 30 psi did nothing for me. It wasn’t until I upped to 60-70 psi that I had slow movement of fluid.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Ratings
3,645 33
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow, 70 psi?!
I bumped to 40 at one point and it started dripping out the one connection so I had to run in there and tighten it up.
I got the plunger part loose from the gate side and worked it in and out. I am getting a lot of white corrosion stuff coming out that is very gritty.
So I plunger it 3 times, wipe it off, repeat repeat.
I got tired, and I wake up at 4 in the morning, so I took my ladder (been working off that because as I pumped air in, and went down, I found I needed the end of the hose/pump up high, then I could disconnect and fill with more oil) and tied the loose end of the hose to the ladder up high so the oil might work it's way down overnight.
I will be at work from 5 am till 5 pm so we'll see if the kids messed it up or not....
I had a hard time getting the oil to just go down the tube as well - had to wrap a paper towel around the hose as I poured and then I used that towel to wipe the white corrosion off at the bottom.
It's getting better, but it's taking a while!

the MfM

Jet Boat Addict
Ratings
485 7
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I used a few air hose fittings.

By putting a female coupler on the tubing you can pre fill with oil before attaching to the cable without worrying it will spill. Then a couple male fittings attached together and you can hook it up to your compressor.

I filled the 1/2” tubing to about the 12” mark with ATF. Once it was attached I set the regulator to 50psi and attached the quick connects. Took about 15-20 minutes to push the oil through. I left the air hose connected the whole time.

It went quick enough that it wasn’t wasn’t worth making up a second one.

Went from needing two hands to turn the wheel to finger tip steering

125E71C0-DA3F-453B-A9FC-4CE64317CE9B.jpeg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Ratings
3,645 33
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I had a barbed fitting that didn't do so well over 75 psi. So kept at 60 and worked the back end. Now super smooth!
Except i have to do the other side...

Hezi

Ratings
25 2
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Im trying to lube my steering cables from the helm but cables end inside the "steering assy". It's a rectangular part which has a warning not to take it apart or a steering failure may occur. This is on a 15' 242 LS. Any ideas? Anyone lube those cables from the helm and can give pointers on how?

Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great write up. I used the clear hose but put a quick connect on the one end and hooked it to my compressor with 65 psi on it. Once the pressure was on I manually moved the thrusters on the back to actuate the cables. Oiled up in about 10 minutes

dirksgoat

Ratings
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1yr report after doing this. I am glad I did it, got me one more year out of my cables. I just checked them and they are a bit stiff. I pulled them to oil again, and they smoothed out some, but not like a new cable. i was putting around 70-80 psi and also grabbing the bucket end of cable and working it back and forth. took a few hrs for clean oil on both cables. I ordered new cables to put in as soon as i have the time for boating season, but i could definitely get by with this for another.

I will definitely do this every year with new cables. so easy not to.