• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY Wake shaper ideas

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Please do, looking forward to it. This must be the coolest ghetto-gate I have seen, and could be the ghetto-wedge to beat. :D

--
You should check the mega mastercraft thread https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?s=95aeca517a79850292a86acc47e234e0&t=70442. Tons of these on there and a great resource for all types of DIY suck gates as they call them. Some really clever designs sprinkled in there. There are similar resource threads on tige and malibu forums with good info. It's where I get a lot of my inspiration on what all has been tried. Unfortunately a lot of it goes in the air with our boats due to design and jet wash so it's up to us to find out what works and what doesn't ;)

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
IMG_0848.PNG IMG_0846.PNG Yep I spent hours looking at different ideas of posted images back in August...

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
View attachment 56010 View attachment 56011 Yep I spent hours looking at different ideas of posted images back in August...
Yea I loved seeing those swing-out style gates and really wanted to come up with something like them as it's plenty adjustable with a turnbuckle and cheap and simple to make out of starboard. If it weren't for our integrated swim platform messing it up for us we could make something similar but because the side of the hull meets with the swim platform it makes it difficult. Makes me wish Yamaha made a real dedicated surf model with separate upper and low swim platform design. That way the cleanout tray and all that remains but have the lower swim platform be separate and not attached to the sides of the hull giving options for tabs or surf gates.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where did you get your HandleOnDemand at? I'll give this a shot before trying something more permanent. Maybe with me being a single engine with less jet wash I can get some results. I need to order another ballast bag or two as well.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Where did you get your HandleOnDemand at? I'll give this a shot before trying something more permanent. Maybe with me being a single engine with less jet wash I can get some results. I need to order another ballast bag or two as well.
Amazon is where I ordered it. 2 cups said to deadlift 210 lbs 3 cup version 320 lbs. this wedge style creates more of a push load than a deadlift... again I think the demensions need to much longer than what I show here. Like at least 20 inches long, enough to fill in between the transom and the back edge of your swim platform to create the desired delayed convergence effect. I first tried a small 5x8 cutting board then the the larger cutting board I show above...
IMG_0948.PNG IMG_0949.PNG

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Here is a better view of it...
IMG_0808.JPG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a better view of it...
View attachment 56070
Love it, but I think those devices would have greater use as a flap/wedge- to beat the white wash.
The way our boats ride makes delayed convergence ineffective.
(this is from @Williamsone46, I think)
upload_2017-5-18_8-30-59.png

The only thing that could work for delayed convergence, the way I think about it, would be a trim tab modification, but it is very tricky for various reasons.

EDIT: I know this picture is on plane, not at surfing speeds, but it just magnifies certain features of the wake.

--

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Love it, but I think those devices would have greater use as a flap/wedge- to beat the white wash.
The way our boats ride makes delayed convergence ineffective.
(this is from @Williamsone46, I think)
View attachment 56082

The only thing that could work for delayed convergence, the way I think about it, would be a trim tab modification, but it is very tricky for various reasons.

EDIT: I know this picture is on plane, not at surfing speeds, but it just magnifies certain features of the wake.

--
Agree it may be much less effective (delayed convergence) because of that exact reason, but at 10 mph there isn't nearly the jet wash (more of it is pointed downward due to the high bow plowing effect) of the pic show at 15+ mph. I didn't have a wedge back then so I was just fooling around with something quick, cheap, easy to switch to both sides and easy to test in many different positions to see if I could stumble on to something simple and cost effective... Also from what I experienced (and to your valid point about jet wash negating the delayed convergence effect) I'm pretty sure this concept will work best mounted on the surf side (not opposite) on our boats to help create deeper perhaps wider & more pronounced trough to surf in. More experimentation with a longer wedge plate/cutting board will confirm or deny this idea pretty quickly I suspect. But I saved my pennies all Winter and got me two wedges now (right & left) so it may be sometime before I pick this back up, but who knows I get board pretty easily...

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well I placed an order through Amazon today for the suction handles including the 3-suction cup version and heavy duty 12" x 6.1" stainless L/right angle brackets. Also bought a long 12" x 24" x 1/2" thick sheet of HDPE (same as Starboard) for the wake plate. It's all relatively cheap so if it doesn't work I'll figure a use for them around the house or moving stuff I'm sure.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking forward to some test pics. I like the price point of this experiment. Plus the suction cups are on a section of hull that is smooth and should give good attachment. DO you plan on having a safety leach on it? Or could the leash cause it to rebound and scratch the boats. Maybe a really long one, retractible like a dog leash. Cam.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll be using a long leash and hopefully no scratches lol

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
My leash was about 24 inches. At surf speed it just dragged in the water. No bounce or recoil back into the boat. Looped it to the back corner cleat. Both times it popped off was at eatreeme flare angles and I had a perfect birds eye view while surfing watching it, then like in NASCAR I hollered at the wife to shut'er down.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
:D @ NASCAR

BTW are yall gonna be down at the the beach same time again as last year? We are going to PCB starting July 22nd and I'm bringing the boat again.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
:D @ NASCAR

BTW are yall gonna be down at the the beach same time again as last year? We are going to PCB starting July 22nd and I'm bringing the boat again.
How AWESOME!! Yes I think so, not sure of the exact dates yet, but my wife always takes off for 2 to 3 weeks to be at the beach on her birthday, which coincidently is 7/22... Trouble is I'm not sure how much time I can get away this year due to just going live on our new Financial system 7/1... What part of town will you be staying there in PCB? Were just about 3 miles from the St Andrews park entrance...

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We will be staying at The Princess again this year as its our usual family spot. They have secure boat parking and fresh water for flushing. There are a few public launches I use that are on S. Lagoon Drive which is across the street from the condo. Makes it very convenient but the only downside is the long no wake zone through Grand Lagoon but no biggie.

First part of the week last year the gulf was like a lake it was so flat but I didn't get to take my boat out those days. The following days was really gusty winds but we made the best of it. Hoping for better weather this trip and to stop by the food boat in the bay!

Attachments

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Way cool! We're only about a half mile from each other and probably use the same ramp to launch from. Our house is right behind the Waffle House just west and across the street of your Condo. :)

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I usually use this ramp if I get there early enough. Just got to be careful through there as I almost ran aground it's so shallow in Grand Lagoon lol

Attachments

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
LOL yep I usually come in hot on plane to avoid bumping the bottom. We use the other ramp about 3 blocks to the left when facing the lagoon. I took some Drone footage of the lagoon back in February and you can totally see there is no avoiding the sand bar coming across from the channel.

Just rememberd the name of our ramp is Saffarri.