• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does anyone tow a 210 with a 4Runner?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I doubt I would be intimidated by a hitch install, but I am waiting to see what 2023 brings to both the 4Runner and the GX, neither have had more than a facelift for quite some time.
GX got a big update for 22, with a mostly new interior. Supposedly nothing new for it until 25 at least. Maybe longer because the GX is setting sales records all the time as people are like "it'd be nice to own something that's proven and reliable". It also doesn't hurt that they're a great value in their segment.

Smiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
GX got a big update for 22, with a mostly new interior. Supposedly nothing new for it until 25 at least. Maybe longer because the GX is setting sales records all the time as people are like "it'd be nice to own something that's proven and reliable". It also doesn't hurt that they're a great value in their segment.
I see the updates that the GX got and it’s a solid option, really looking to see what happens with the 4Runner. I’d like to see what electrified power train options become available.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was just looking at them online, 4Runner. They look pretty good. Scant information though on towing packages. Do they offer a model/package that is greater than 5000lbs ? Or do you need to go to the Sequoia?

Last edited:

ShireRider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Land Cruiser is no longer an option if looking new, as they are not selling this model in the U.S. anymore. The 4Runner is suppose to be getting an update, I'm hoping they up the tow ratings. As I need a 3rd row suv that can tow the boat. I would consider downsizing from a Suburban if the tow ratings were increased, as I wouldn't mind less of a bus. LOL, I would enjoy a more nimble vehicle and it would fit better in my garage. If the tow ratings were adequate I would even considering getting a Cargo Box for trips. I looked at the new Tahoe's as well but in all honesty they drive and feel just like the Suburban. I'm not sure why but when driving a F150 it never felt like a bus and the F150 was longer. Ford could bring the Everest to the states as well as they just did an update to this and it looks pretty good. This would be a direct competitor to the 4Runner as right now the 4Runner is really by itself and has no competition.
We had a suburban. I miss that rig. The 4Runner is nice in all it’s own ways, but having the equivalent of a long bed truck plus seating for days was nice.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was just looking at them online, 4Runner. They look pretty good. Scant information though on towing packages. Do they offer a model/package that is greater than 5000lbs ? Or do you need to go to the Sequoia?
You have to go with the Gx460 from Lexus to tow more. Or Sequoia I suppose, but those are a lot bigger and not the same platform. Gx460 is the same size and platform as 4Runner but with a V8 and a Lexus interior, and a STUPID rear door instead of a liftgate.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Gx460 is very nice I just looked at them on the Lexus website.. Looks like they are mid to high 60's and tow up to 6500lbs. At that price point I would probably get an Expedition Limited or XLT with a much higher tow rating. I was hoping that there were SUV's around $50k or less that had higher tow ratings, which I could get for the Admiral on lease. She doesn't drive more than 10-12k per year. Than buy her Acadia which is coming off lease for the kid. And now I would have a second tow vehicle in the house as a backup.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Gx460 is very nice I just looked at them on the Lexus website.. Looks like they are mid to high 60's and tow up to 6500lbs. At that price point I would probably get an Expedition Limited or XLT with a much higher tow rating. I was hoping that there were SUV's around $50k or less that had higher tow ratings, which I could get for the Admiral on lease. She doesn't drive more than 10-12k per year. Than buy her Acadia which is coming off lease for the kid. And now I would have a second tow vehicle in the house as a backup.
Expedition starts at 57k with cloth seats and no 4x4. Assuming you can get one without a market adjustment, or get one at all that is.

What you want is the new pathfinder. 6000 pounds towing, 45 to 50k fully loaded. It's been on our list to look at but there haven't been any to even look at locally.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Expedition starts at 57k with cloth seats and no 4x4. Assuming you can get one without a market adjustment, or get one at all that is.

What you want is the new pathfinder. 6000 pounds towing, 45 to 50k fully loaded. It's been on our list to look at but there haven't been any to even look at locally.
I see whether Nissan did anything with their Transmissions I had a Nissan pro X4 titan I towed lot with it. Put three transmissions in it they did Them under Warranty but it was so annoying and I had to get rid of it when it was at 110,000 when the last transmission went because it was $9000 I think to do the transmission again I just put it to auction.F7684650-94F6-40D5-9558-6C0CB8713C5C.jpeg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I need 4x4 with the tow package if we were going to get it. Don't want to not be able to get a bigger boat in the future , I like to keep my options open. Around here you can't find and expedition and they are selling the limited's into the 70's and the XLT's Mid to high 60's. I feel for the bait and switch a couple times and wasted my time at the dealer being annoyed.

Will check out the Pathfinders, Thanks.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow the Pathfinders are nice, good looking price as well.

Woodsy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been towing a 2017 AR210 with a 4Runner. The 4Runner has airbags installed in the rear springs and I upgraded the bias trailer tires to radials. Always felt safe towing, and it handled the boat well.

That said, there is no getting around the fact that you are kissing the 4Runner's towing limits. When you account for people, luggage, fuel, boat gear.... Not hard to be over the 5,000 lbs. limit. For this reason, we just traded in the 4Runner for a Tundra.

To mix things up, instead of lifting another vehicle, I decided to install a 2F/4R suspension drop kit, again with air bags installed to keep the truck level when towing. Pics below:

IMG_0208.jpgTundra 3.JPGRear Air Bag Leveling Kit for Towing.jpg

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow the Pathfinders are nice, good looking price as well.
If you're able to check one out in person, make sure to give us the scoop! We have been looking to see one but haven't be able to find any to look at. I don't mind ordering a vehicle... But not sight unseen you know?

But yeah, pathfinder pricing is awesome. We would probably be fine with stepping up into a qx60 even the pricing is so good.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This is why I’m hoping with the new 2023 model they increase the towing capacity.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is why I’m hoping with the new 2023 model they increase the towing capacity.
I doubt they'll do that. That'd put it in a weirder spot Tha it already is with higander and Sequoia.

Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if there was no next gen 4runner, and they replaced it with a quasi off road variation of highlander or rav4. I could almost see 4runner being a trim for those two...

Can0n11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I towed a smaller aluminum fishing boat with a 4Runner for years, loved the manuverability at the launch. I totalled it out hitting a deer, and went with a Gen 1 Sequoia which is very nice for pulling the 190. Not as maneuverable as the 4Runner, but no problems at the launch with the Sequoia. The Tundra is also a great option if you are looking to change vehicles.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is my number one complaint about the vehicle.
The newer models addressed one of the biggest pet peeves I had, and that was the idiotic way they used to store the rear-most seat. I've got an '05, and they used to just swing those almost-useless rear seats to the side, taking up cargo room. I happened to get one that did NOT have the rear seats at all, and that, alone, got me signing on the dotted line as fast as I could. The newer models fold flat, which is a gigantic improvement.

I dunno if the newer models have rectified the other issue I have, and that's the rear wing windows - you've got to get out, open up the stupid rear barn door, and unlatch them. If it starts to rain, get out, get wet, and reverse the process. Dunno if they newer models have fixed that, but there's a mod to power the open/close, I just think it's ridiculous that Lexus didn't consider how stupid the design was. And yes, ditch that shitty barn door, and give me a sliding rear window.

IF you can find one used, they have silly resale. I was looking to pick one up in late '19, early '20 coming off lease, but I wasn't really paying attention at that point, as I didn't NEED a third vehicle, so I was waiting for just a few bucks less, and I hosed myself. I was one day late when finally deciding to pull the trigger, and there's been nothing close to touching the deal I could have had. Been kicking myself often over the last 2 years.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I doubt they'll do that. That'd put it in a weirder spot Tha it already is with higander and Sequoia.

Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if there was no next gen 4runner, and they replaced it with a quasi off road variation of highlander or rav4. I could almost see 4runner being a trim for those two...
I think the only hope is, the Pathfinder and Ford Explorer now have higher tow ratings. I agree it most likely won’t happen but still hoping. It’s just frustrating that the same Lexus has a higher tow rating, add another powertrain. I doubt the masses buying a 4Runner cross shop a Lexus. The new Sequoia is appealing however I don’t like a couple things. The third row seating does not look great for the size of the vehicle. It looks more like a third row in the Explorer based on head room and leg room I have seen from TFL Truck (also the third row seats don’t fold flat). I also don’t like the only way you can get it is with the power boost, sounds like they are have waste gate problems with the turbos. Now this may be a small problem, who designed this thing? The pictures I have seen either have the front end completely torn off or the whole cab off to fix this. Just awful engineering, at no point should you have to take that much stuff off to replace a turbo. Keep in mind these pictures I’m talking about are on the new Tundras with the same powertrain that are already available.

Last edited:

meaningreen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see the updates that the GX got and it’s a solid option, really looking to see what happens with the 4Runner. I’d like to see what electrified power train options become available.
We tow our 210 with our GX460, it's a 21 so we missed the updated interior. The update just changed the center stack, but made it look a lot better and added a few outside tweaks. Ours tows it well, I had to add air bags as she sagged a lot. So if you get the GX opt for the level that comes with air bags. I've heard the same not updated til 25ish as it's based on the Toyota Purado (Baby Land Cruiser) overseas and that is the last one to go through the update. Would be nice if it gets the tuned down version of the 3.5TT in the LX and Tundra.