• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Does anyone tow a 210 with a 4Runner?

I agree with the turbo on Sequoia. They should have offered the V8 to ease in to the new engine setup.

I would think if anything, they would increase tow capacity on Highlander. But I suspect to do that theyd need to upgrade several components that would be unviable to upgrade on what's overall a volume family hauler. I don't know that Toyota sees explorer and pathfinder as enough competition to worry about vs everyone else. I could see Chevy upping the tow capacity on traverse as a differentiator, because frankly, they're wildly outclassed by the others.

The problem for 4runner and GX is they're to niche. They're supposed to be sort of small so they're good off road and on trails, but they end up being smaller than the rest of the family hauler class. They're body on frame to be tough and do well off road, but they end up with a super high load floor killing interior space. It's got to be a difficult task to keep justifying making the 4runner and gx vs just making more highlanders.

I agree with the turbo on Sequoia. They should have offered the V8 to ease in to the new engine setup.

I would think if anything, they would increase tow capacity on Highlander. But I suspect to do that theyd need to upgrade several components that would be unviable to upgrade on what's overall a volume family hauler. I don't know that Toyota sees explorer and pathfinder as enough competition to worry about vs everyone else. I could see Chevy upping the tow capacity on traverse as a differentiator, because frankly, they're wildly outclassed by the others.

The problem for 4runner and GX is they're to niche. They're supposed to be sort of small so they're good off road and on trails, but they end up being smaller than the rest of the family hauler class. They're body on frame to be tough and do well off road, but they end up with a super high load floor killing interior space. It's got to be a difficult task to keep justifying making the 4runner and gx vs just making more highlanders.

The Turbo issue is one of the reason's I'm not going to get a Tundra this year (also all the ones in my area are spoken for). Have to replace a company car, and wanted to go back to a Tundra. For family hauler our GX does great, but I only have two kids, if we add their friends to the third row kiss any luggage space goodbye. Getting a box for the roof to use as needed. For me I liked the body on frame aspect for the towing. We looked at all the smaller three row SUV's but didn't feel that comfortable with their tow ratings and wife had to have captions chairs in the second row. The GX had to be used for our towing needs first since I sold my truck. (Tahoe size was not an option) We have the boat and a 7x14' enclosed for our other toys. After driving it for a year, even if I didn't need the towing aspect of it we still would have gotten it we are really happy with it.

4Runners are every third car on the road here. Just different preferences in different regions I guess. I don’t see them going anywhere for a while.

4Runners are every third car on the road here. Just different preferences in different regions I guess. I don’t see them going anywhere for a while.

Maybe, they're the last of the body on frame mid-size SUVs left. In some ways, that corners the market for them, but in others, it yields major efficiency downsides in space and fuel.

Personally, I think the GX and 4runner should stick around with the same power trains, maybe add an 8 or 10 speed transmission, make them a little bigger, and corner the "I don't want my car to ever break" market. Oh, and get rid of the stupid door gate.

Here's the extent I had to move my winch post. Vehicle geometry, hitch setup, and driver comfort will all play a part in how you feel towing. Don't take someone else's "must have" setup as gospel, they don't have to tow YOUR boat with YOUR car, with YOUR experience. @HangOutdoors had a bigger move to make, but he also has a different vehicle with different geometry, and likely a different setup from his dealership. MULTIPLE variables, and small changes can make a huge difference. Start with the small and easy-to-do changes, and you'll likely get 80-100% to where you like it.

Note the rusty line. That's where my winch post originally sat. That's not quite an inch, and that changed enough that it didn't feel like it was hopping or jerking on me. I've hauled lots, and with lots of different types of vehicles - I drive truck, and did heavy equipment delivery. My comfort level will be different than someone else. Your winch post is the easiest thing to dial in, and small changes can/will make a big difference. Start there. Good luck, and share your experiences for those following in your footsteps. Pics, or it didn't happen!

View attachment 171639
What number are you trying to hit? I assume the vehicle's tongue weight rating? Someone mentioned the dealers not having it right. Is it customary for a boat dealer to find out what your tow vehicle is, and then adjust the trailer to that vehicle's rating?

Anyone see the 2023 Ford Everest that came out today? This looks awesome, hopefully Ford will change their mind and bring this to the United States. This would be way better for towing heavier loads than the still too soft Explorer.
F4A2297A-F7DF-474F-8670-C37E1A6FFD53.jpeg

Last edited:
What number are you trying to hit? I assume the vehicle's tongue weight rating? Someone mentioned the dealers not having it right. Is it customary for a boat dealer to find out what your tow vehicle is, and then adjust the trailer to that vehicle's rating?

I can't recall the exact percentage I was shooting for, but it was a percentage of the boat & trailer's total weight, plus a touch more to factor in "luggage" on the boat. I think - DO NOT ASSUME THIS IS RIGHT, LOOK FOR THE RECOMMENDED % - I used 10%, but it was long enough ago that I don't recall.

Unless you have one of the unicorn dealers that would care and try to exceed every customer expectation, no, they aren't going to do anything more than a "this is how we set all our trailers up" method.

I would still double check, since the cop wouldn't give the dealership the ticket if your setup is wrong - you're the operator of the vehicle. Treat your boat the same way - YOU are responsible for what happens with your boat, don't leave that up to interpretation, ensure you're comfortable with the setup.

I have a GX also, but I have the luxury trim that comes with the self leveling air suspension. I was originally looking at a 4Runner but it would have been maxed lit towing my SX230, and the GX with the V8 and air ride tows it flawlessly. I had an 06 Tacoma before which towed fine but the GX is better in every way.
yes I give up some space with the body on frame, but appreciate the better towing and the solid feel. Only downfall is that it’s a pig on fuel around town around 13mpg. Not too bad on highway getting 18mpg at 70-80mph, and 19-20 if I can keep it to 60-65 which is almost never.

I traded a 4Runner for a Highlander hybrid. i would not tow my FSH210 to Fl with the Highlander but did with the 4Runner.
I get 33 to 40 with the Highlander driving heavy on my foot. I can tow the boat with my Tundra and get 8mpg driving fast, I got 10mpg with the 4Runner. Both got better under about 72mph. Upstate NY to the Fl.Keys is 1625 miles. So it gets to be a lot. We never really save the money in gas on a new vehicle that the car cost it gets us a new car. But in this forum some people have to choose one car for all there needs.

Anyone see the 2023 Ford Everest that came out today? This looks awesome, hopefully Ford will change their mind and bring this to the United States. This would be way better for towing heavier loads than the still too soft Explorer.
View attachment 172355

I saw it, but I think it's basically a ranger, making it less capable than an explorer. At least in power. I think the ranger can be specd to 7500 pounds, but I bet that's a nightmare with that 4 banger.

We tow our 212 with a 4Runner, but only locally. For anything more than the neighborhood ramp or the gas station we use another vehicle. As had been said already, it’s doable but not confidence inspiring.

I just picked up my 2022 210 with a 2018 4Runner Limited. I would say while the 4Runner can do it, it is underpowered. I only have to tow from my driveway to our community boat ramp which is only about 300 yards away so it suits me. If we were going to tow more often I would trade up for a new Tundra or Sequoia.

So, just got back from the Keys on a 1,500+ mile
Round trip towing with my 4Runner. Put the Firestone air bags in and ran about 30psi on them along with changing out the trailer tires to Goodyear Endurance radials.

It did better than the last time we towed to S.Florida, (Cape Canaveral), but I will say that after about 8 hours, I think the trans temp gets a bit hot. Transmission cooler will be my next upgrade for the long hauls.

But, I tow regularly to Lake Burton in the N. GA mountains, Lake Oconee, Lake Lanier Carters Lake, and Lake Allatoona with no issues. I’m only towing a 195S, so a 21’ may have a bit more weight. That said, I would not hesitate on trips under a few hours. Highway towing is really where the underpowered 4.0 in the 4Runner really shows. You can stay in 4th gear, for when it starts to hunt in 5th, but it gets the job done for us.

Back