• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Door to Door Polictical Solicitors

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Scum of the Earth??? Wow. I can think of much worse than a young kid out there pounding the pavement hustling for a dollar. In the dead of summer when one rings my doorbell and I tell them I'm not interested I'll even go so far as to offer the kid a cold bottle of water or a Gatorade. I have respect for a kid that is willing to hustle that hard rather than ride the government tit. I'm sure they won't make a career out of it, but I guarantee you it will teach them some life lessons, like how to still be polite to an asshole that slams the door in their face and calls them scum of the Earth.
Some of them are the scum of the earth. Not all. Jobs are a dime a dozen these days, if your still doing door to door you just like annoying people IMO.

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
'tis the season. We've had more people than normal coming by the past couple months, and a huge uptick the past couple of weeks. Political educators, realtors, gutter cleaning, lawn services, window replacement, essential oil infused soap... you name it, they've been here.

When my son was born last year I put up a sign above the doorbell that said "No Soliciting, Do Not Ring Doorbell, Do Not Knock on Door." I can't tell you how many times I watched (on video) someone stop, read the sign, and then ring the doorbell or knock loudly anyway, setting the dogs off barking, waking the baby, etc.

Funny enough, one of the recent ones was a Vivint salesman who caught me putting the mower away in the garage. I had just gotten a warranty replacement wifi bridge for one of our Vivint security cameras in the mail and I asked if he could pair it with our monitor/screen. He was nice enough to take the 15 minutes to do so and be on his way.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the case of the fundraiser person I bet for every 1 guy that slams the door in her face she gets 20 that are polite or give some money.
My post may have mixed something up. The person wasn't knocking doors for a fundraiser, she was collecting signatures during non-permitted times for such activities, and proceeded to ALSO accost people while in their cars - pic below of why that might be a shite move. Permits must be obtained in order to do such activities, so that they get notification and listings for things such as our fundraiser. It also lets local LEO know who will be in the area to help with older folks calling, thinking they're being scammed.

This isn't that kind of door-knocking fundraiser. There's a single collection intersection that's manned. We've been raising money for childhood cancer for 40+ years. This most definitely is not the place to try collecting political recall signatures from people while in their cars, or to badger people during this time, as they would have known (or been advised) if they were properly permitted. It detracts from our purpose as a neighborhood of 200+ houses, and was wholly inappropriate at that time.

I can tolerate solicitors - I will never accept someone who thinks their political purposes override interfering with the known purpose of our area and detract from families out enjoying a nice night. Clearly, this area is SO well-known, I'm guessing this woman figured it was the perfect time to intrude on the event so as to maximize her idiocy. Daylight hours, her behavior is and was permitted. I'm not sorry to say, given all the reasonable opportunities she had prior to this, that this was a woman who Can't Understand Normal Thinking.

People stay in their cars, come to see the entire neighborhood that decorates in order to attract people to the area to help raise funds for childhood cancer. In this pic, even SANTA isn't collecting - this is how our fundraiser keeps people moving, gives a reason to visit, and wants to leave people with a great experience they can enjoy with their family. Leave the people alone in their cars during our family-friendly event, ESPECIALLY if you're collecting signatures for a political recall

CCL.JPG

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Scum of the Earth??? Wow. I can think of much worse than a young kid out there pounding the pavement hustling for a dollar. In the dead of summer when one rings my doorbell and I tell them I'm not interested I'll even go so far as to offer the kid a cold bottle of water or a Gatorade. I have respect for a kid that is willing to hustle that hard rather than ride the government tit. I'm sure they won't make a career out of it, but I guarantee you it will teach them some life lessons, like how to still be polite to an asshole that slams the door in their face and calls them scum of the Earth.
It was intended to be hyperbolic, but thanks for calling me an asshole and basically meeting my point. Cheers.

FYI, there's a difference between closing a door and slamming a door, but I guess nuance isn't required for door to door harassment in communities with prominent no-soliciting signs (in a town where solicitation requires a permit, that they never bother to obtain). Fantastic life lessons abound.

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When my son was born last year I put up a sign above the doorbell that said "No Soliciting, Do Not Ring Doorbell, Do Not Knock on Door." I can't tell you how many times I watched (on video) someone stop, read the sign, and then ring the doorbell or knock loudly anyway, setting the dogs off barking, waking the baby,
Smart doorbells should have a "punch in the face" option for these people. That's one of the reasons I keep my doorbell disconnected. And so help you if you knock on my door and get my dogs riled up and wake.up my baby, we are not having a friendly.comversation where you sell me.something.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Smart doorbells should have a "punch in the face" option for these people. That's one of the reasons I keep my doorbell disconnected. And so help you if you knock on my door and get my dogs riled up and wake.up my baby, we are not having a friendly.comversation where you sell me.something.
Similar to you, when doing some work on both doors, I accidentally cut the wire to the transformer when working on the first door (was just going to replace, thought it was the feeder to the secondary doorbell). Removed the doorbell, and just never put it back up after replacing the brick mold. Once I figured it out, I did the same with the other door. Both doors have No Soliciting signs near readable level - 5 foot up from the doorstep.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok admiral didnt want anything to big and gaudy, this is what ten bucks got me.... not sure about what the results will be, I am a bit skeptical :(

20221003_185944.jpg

Last edited: