• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Finally finished stereo upgrade on my 2015 242 Limited S

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Matt, I have done and listened to countless sub systems using several methods including all those discussed here. Some of this depends on acoustics. Some on personal perception and tolerances (what is your reference for good sound...systems made for movies or music, etc.). And some on the material played. If you listen to a lot of contemporary music with synthetic drums and bass lines then you are going to have a different standard of expectations than if you listen to mostly music with studio musicians on real drums and a string bass. As for the acoustics, if you are going to run a small-sealed-enclosure-type subwoofer, the best sounding option is when the sub driver is direct-radiating with both the sub driver and enclosure sandwiched and sealed against the seat console wall. The better sonic benefits are mostly realized when sitting inside the boat at rest or at a very slow cruise. The moment you are at speed or on plane there is simply too much bass-masking hull and engine noise to preserve any of the finer tonal characteristics. Then it becomes about enough acoustic power to overcome the conditions while staying clean.
I listen to a little bit of everything. Classical rock, metal, newer contemporary stuff, etc etc. I don't care about hearing the bump while underway. Just mostly while anchored. I want to see how having control over the sub with the ws420 EQ works before making any changes.

DIEGO PRESAS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Hello!! nice job bro.. I just bought my Yamaha 242 e series 2016. and definitely I need to upgrade the sound. but the question is. are you using the main screen as a main audio source? so I can use it as a main radio source and them I have to plug with rca cables to the amp??

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Run the rca cables between the amp and the module behind the co-pilot seat. Don't need to run anything to helm unless you want a separate zone control. Everything still goes through connext.

DJ Bellin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
C
I added the blue wire to the connector (yes I went the hard way) of the head unit. Then it just jumps from one amp to the next and to the wet sounds equalizer and ends there. I left all the factory wiring intact just in case kind of stuff, plus the tower speakers are still using the factory head units amplification. The tweeters in the tower sound ok so I have no plans to change them. I do have a schematic or really just a wiring point to point of my entire layout if you want I can send it to you.
Can you send your wiring schematic to me please?

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Run the rca cables between the amp and the module behind the co-pilot seat. Don't need to run anything to helm unless you want a separate zone control. Everything still goes through connext.
Hey, did you notice any hissing or static coming from your Polk amp RCA outputs when the source is paused?

And btw, when you’re doing these upgrades, did you clip or remove the pins for the existing speakers? I just have mine hanging there, but wondering if I shouldnt disable them so they can’t somehow cause issues.

markallan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, Nice Job. Do you have a wiring diagram?

Doug

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey, did you notice any hissing or static coming from your Polk amp RCA outputs when the source is paused?

And btw, when you’re doing these upgrades, did you clip or remove the pins for the existing speakers? I just have mine hanging there, but wondering if I shouldnt disable them so they can’t somehow cause issues.
No I don’t have any hissing from the Polk head unit. I installed the 2 new JL Audio Amos for the system and used a scope meter and tuned all the channels. It sounds perfect at any volume with no distortion.
As for the wires from the old speakers I just left them in the boat but then recently when my system was stolen I upgraded to the JL Audio speakers with the LEDs and used those old speaker wires to power the LEDs so it all worked out perfect in the end. But originally leaving the old speaker wires in place but disconnected caused no issues since they aren’t hooked to the head unit. And I didn’t cut the ends off just left everything intact. Hope this helps with your project and good luck!!!!

Doug

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No I don’t have any hissing from the Polk head unit. I installed the 2 new JL Audio Amos for the system and used a scope meter and tuned all the channels. It sounds perfect at any volume with no distortion.
As for the wires from the old speakers I just left them in the boat but then recently when my system was stolen I upgraded to the JL Audio speakers with the LEDs and used those old speaker wires to power the LEDs so it all worked out perfect in the end. But originally leaving the old speaker wires in place but disconnected caused no issues since they aren’t hooked to the head unit. And I didn’t cut the ends off just left everything intact. Hope this helps with your project and good luck!!!!
Opps type Amos = Amps

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
"since they aren't hooked to the head unit"
Oh. Did you disconnect the wires from the head unit at the connectors coming off the PA4A amp unit at the helm? I've been trying to figure out which ones to disconnect so that I can ensure I don't have hot wires going thru the hull and terminating to nothing

chrclmnky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good job Doug. I know this is an old thread but I hope you can provide information about hooking those amps to the factory audio system.