• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FINALLY! THE ULTIMATE WINTERIZATION VIDEO HAS ARRIVED

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thats right Yamapeeps this is the most comprehensive winterization video ever made. It covers everything from your engine to your bilge pump, to your hull and trailer. This video is part documentary and part comedy filmed "NY style". So grab a drink and something to eat while you laugh and learn how to care for your favorite toy.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great video, funny and informative!!!

cabbie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Great video. I did skip fogging the intake: choosing to fog the cylinders directly, because I had a fear of contaminating the mass airflow sensor and supercharger. I don't know if this fear is warranted, and I would be happy to hear what anybody thinks about this issue. Great tip about cranking the engine with the lanyard disconnected.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Funny and nicely done.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great video guys. I finally found time to watch it. If you make any edits could I suggest covering the need to turn the hose on after you start the engine and turn it off before you turn the engine off? Also I am curious how you prevent getting the antifreeze into the engine?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You guys crack me up...stay warm up there! Great movie and advice mostly. As you noted, some things you did are topics of discussion here on the forum and not recommended by Yamaha, but that doesn't mean you can do them if you just feel you must. No doubt that your boat will survive the winter and be raring to go come spring! Glad to place your funny dialect with your screen name! Just imagine a southern drawl with mine:winkingthumbsup" and now for the rating...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great job with the video. I have saved this one for future reference.

Retired37

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
GREAT JOB:thumbsup:.

dbrunone

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Great video. One question, why did you fog the motor the first time, if you were just going to do it again while putting the antifreeze in?

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
good video .. thanks for posting. i was in a hurry to get my boat put away and dropped it -- and WAY too much money -- at our dealer to winterize and store mine. next year, i'm doing it myself. i even helped @mdopp winterize his this year, but didn't do my own. go figure. what an idiot. it's not rocket science.

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great video. One question, why did you fog the motor the first time, if you were just going to do it again while putting the antifreeze in?
The service tech bulletin calls for 4 minutes of fogging, that seems way too long, but either way we felt that the time it would take to pump in the three gallons of antifreeze might not provide enough fogging time. I will rethink this for next year, great question

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great video guys. I finally found time to watch it. If you make any edits could I suggest covering the need to turn the hose on after you start the engine and turn it off before you turn the engine off? Also I am curious how you prevent getting the antifreeze into the engine?
Not sure I understand your question at the end there, please elaborate

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great video. I did skip fogging the intake: choosing to fog the cylinders directly, because I had a fear of contaminating the mass airflow sensor and supercharger. I don't know if this fear is warranted, and I would be happy to hear what anybody thinks about this issue. Great tip about cranking the engine with the lanyard disconnected.
Having your same concerns, last year only fogged through the cylinders. This year I said screw it. Why would the Yamaha service tech bulletin to do it if it was harmful to the engine. They even say to do it at intervals throughout the season. I'll let you know in the Spring...lol

Attachments

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure I understand your question at the end there, please elaborate
I need to watch that part of the video again. But I believe you poured antifreeze in through the flush port while the engine was off. It seems like this would create a possibility of some of the antifreeze flowing into the wrong parts of the engine. We are not supposed to have water flowing into the engine unless the engine is running. But I was distracted when watching your video and may have misunderstood that section.

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes re-watch it. "engine on, coolant on, engine off, coolant off". We were hoping it would be so entertaining that there could not ever be a distraction ...lol

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes re-watch it. "engine on, coolant on, engine off, coolant off". We were hoping it would be so entertaining that there could not ever be a distraction ...lol
It is entertaining. So much so that I showed it to the family. But a very inquisitive 6 year old can be distracting!

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thats right Yamapeeps this is the most comprehensive winterization video ever made. It covers everything from your engine to your bilge pump, to your hull and trailer. This video is part documentary and part comedy filmed "NY style". So grab a drink and something to eat while you laugh and learn how to care for your favorite toy.

I am honored to have been part of such a ground breaking production!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One thing that I just added to my winterization check-list is to protect your trailer. I use a large garbage bag and duct tape to keep water out of the tongue and off the electrical, chains, etc. (since my boat is shrink wrapped and stored outside)

Also, blocking up your trailer so the tires are free from load is something I will do this year as well.

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I went into the local dealer/Yamaha service place and spoke to the mechanic who said "we never fog the air intake because of the sensors and we never fog the cylinders because of fouling spark plugs". He did not want to hear any of my arguments for doing so OR any of my knowledge based on my research on this forum. Not that he wasn't nice but he was one of those good ol' boys with little to say and he was busy at the time. He simply said, "We have been winterizing these boats for years and not a single one showed any problems". This marina also stores boats and many clients have them take their jet boat out of the water, winterize them, and put them in the water in the spring.

I followed the instructions in the manual and the part about going to the dealer for fogging was me going to the dealer and talking to them. If they weren't going to fog them then I saw no reason to bring it to them.

My boat is in a barn that will freeze/thaw many times, sometimes seeing temps down to -8F, so I will get back to you with the results in the Spring… Anyone else out there (in cold climate) who doesn't fog and has no issues in the Spring? Anyone have catastrophic results who didn't fog?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I didn't fog the first few years with my '08. But after that tech bulletin came out, I started. If you dog according to the bulletin slowly and in spurts, you won't foul plugs or kill the engine.

This isn't intended as sarcasm. But most with catastrophic results will claim that they followed Yamaha procedures to a "t". And there are not many yamahas wth catastrophic issues. Of the ones I know, they followed procedures. Not Fogging, not using YAmaha Ring Free, not changing oil annually, etc, won't cause catastrophic damage, it will just wear prematurely.

Fogging and good lubes prevent internal corrosion and extend the life expectancy. Salt environments are unusually hard on boats. Fresh water isn't nearly as harsh. The choice is yours.