• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Wakesurf Board, what to get??

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Liquid Force Trip 138 cm. This size board will fit a lot of people. Its also a very good beginner to intermediate board. Go to www.evo.com you can get some on wholesale that include the bindings. You want something that lots of different people can use.
I have already been through quite a few wakeboards, so good to go there, was looking strictly at surf boards

Thanks for the recommendation tho!!

Aaron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
oh...i read the post wrong lol.

jetboat623

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone have any experience with the Ronix Cortez board?

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
i rode the ronix one carbon skimmer....loved it.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a Ronix duke, unfortunately have not been able to try out. One thing that I have found, if searching the net, you can usually get/find last year models at a cheaper price.

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Boat Crazy - you hit the nail on the head. The 2013 I was looking at is $150 less. But it had a bad write up as a slow "boring board". Though for our surf/wake style I think it should be ok. But $500 is alot of dough for a hunch.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd go to the outlet store & get the 13....thst board is much larger (slower) than what I'm looking for, but I can tell u there isn't much difference in the 13 & 14 besides the looks

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So quick question......I have decided to go with the liquid force fish. It is offered in three sizes. Due to my size, I fit in the middle one..... if I go with the largest size, will it only be easier to get up and learn or should I stick with the middle size?

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
i just bought the liquid fish 5'3". going out monday with friends who have never surfed before. will let you know how it goes. @redthumper9

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My family has never surfed before and wanting to learn. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the "Fish." One of the boards I am looking at buying.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bigger = More buoyant = Easier to surf

But there is a balance between easy to surf. . . . . . .and boring. The bigger = easier = slower and less manuverable, which depending on you riding style may wind up being boring.

I am having difficulty deciding myself since my only experience surfing is behind Malibu or Mastercraft wakes wakesurf boats which obviously throw off a bitchin wave in comparison to the best Yamaha wake that can be made.

My thought is a bigger board will make it easier to surf with less ballast. . . .but I am concerned that the Malibu and Mastercraft have ruined me for surfing a Yamaha. I hope not. . . But there will be a lot of trial and error on a few boards til then. Looking forward to everyones feedback.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah....ill be just starting off and as long as I can get up and ride, Ill be happy for now. I am not even concerned at this point with going rope less. Im leaning towards the largest (5'6") fish.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just bought a 2013 hyperlite landlock for $239. It's for my wife and newbies to learn on. I'm not expecting a lot of progression so we will probably keep the board for a while.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have the Fish 5'6" board and with no ballast my son (~110 lbs) can surf ropeless, just barely. For me (220 lbs) seems like no matter how many ppl i have in the boat I cant go ropeless, i could be just I'm not good enough but I honestly think i just need some ballast. I'm looking at getting the Fat Sac 1620 Lb + pump package on Amazon ($300). From what I have been reading the most common setup would be a 540 lb bag in bow, 540 lb on side your surfing on (under the port or starboard seat) plus one on the transom (same side). Seems like people that have this setup are able to straight line surf ropeless.

With a 242 that I have I'm hoping it works!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just bought a 2013 hyperlite landlock for $239. It's for my wife and newbies to learn on. I'm not expecting a lot of progression so we will probably keep the board for a while.
Where did you get the landlock for that pRice?

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One other thing...

Almost everyone told us before we started to wakesurf that the best (easiest) way to start is wakeboard style in the water with you heals on the board. My son (16 yrs old) who does not like wakeboarding at all and cant get up that way wanted to start on the transom. We found this type of start to be the quickest and easiest way to go, my son and I were able to do it first time and every time with no issues and have had his friends (almost all of them) been able to start on their first or second try that way as well.

We can even end the same way with gliding back on the transom and stepping off without ever getting wet (as long as i don't fall trying to mess around :))

So YMMV, but for us a transom start is by far the quickest and easiest way to go.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you get the landlock for that pRice?
agreed @jetboater4life

I found one in February for $200 on evo, but they sold out before I made the purchase and now i'm kicking myself for it

If from sturtevants.com did you already get it or just order? I was concerned about that site not being legit

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
agreed @jetboater4life

I found one in February for $200 on evo, but they sold out before I made the purchase and now i'm kicking myself for it

If from sturtevants.com did you already get it or just order? I was concerned about that site not being legit
@woodard1983 @redthumper9 Yes I ordered from Surtevants.com and just got the confirmation email.
I called them and they confirmed it will be shipping out today or Monday. Very pleasant customer support. Free shipping and no tax.

Description Quantity Price Ext Price.
HYPERLITE LANDLOCK 5.9 WAKESURF B 1 $239.99 $239.99
Choose Color: N/A
Size Available: N/A
Style: 33774