• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH or 212

kwconch

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not new to boating but I am new to Yamaha Jet boats. I ordered an FSH 210 a while ago and have been "patiently waiting" since August. In the meantime my dealer let me know they just got a few other 21 foot boats in so I thought I would take look. I really like the 212se. I am looking for a do-everything boat. We fish, wakeboard, wake surf, and hang out at the sandbars. I worry that fishing off the 212 is not going to work very well, and then I worry that the FSH will not be that great for water sports. What sold me on the Yamaha was I love the rear-facing platform and seating vs the outboard that I am used to. I really noticed how much more comfortable this seating is on the 212 vs the FSH. Curious if anyone had a similar dilemma and are they happy or regret their decision. Any advice is appreciated.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I think the hulls are the same between the two so watersports should be the same. What do you think you'll do the most? You can buy a cheap fishing boat, but you can't buy a cheap watersports boat.

kwconch

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good point... Will probably do more water sports/sand bar hanging out. I also know I am not going to want fish guts on that 212.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FSH, will better for an all around if fishing is also a priority. However, the 212 would be much better for water sports but suck for fishing. It also, has the tow tower which will give you more options for watersports. I think there are a few members that tow from the tower of the FSH, doesn't seem advisable but not sure if anyone is having any structural issues.

kwconch

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dixemon - Looks like you own an FSH 210? Are you happy with it? Anything you dislike?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is what my friend said to me when i was facing the same dilemma.

The FSH can do everything the 212 does, but the 212 cannot do everything the FSH does.

I‘ve spent quite a bit of time fishing on my 210 FSH and I can tell you without a doubt it is a fishing machine and I have zero regrets about buying this boat. With 4 people on board and 6 poles in the water and trolling, three fish on at a time there is plenty of room to be landing fish and getting the poles back out. The way the transom is laid out allows you to easily walk back to the swim deck, land your fish, toss it into the live well and put your line back out.

When not fishing and just out cruising with 4 friends on board everyone can move around anywhere on the boat, whether it’s lounging in the bow seats, standing / sitting at the helm or riding in the seats on either side of the helm everyone has the seat or view they want. Cruising at best cruising speed of 28 mph and 8 gph the boat is very comfortable to ride in whether on glassy water or through medium chop, the ride is confidence inspiring and handles the larger waves well. At WOT the FSH will move right along in the low 40’s at 17.5 gph. Other times following a serpentine shoreline at 5 mph listening to some tunes, snacking, and everyone is chatting it up. While fuel consumption is a consideration, not a deal killer for me, the fact that my boat is thrifty on fuel is an added plus. According to boat test dot com, the range on my FSH is 156 statute miles with a 10% reserve.

The twin jet drive is amazing. Thrust is infinitely adjustable to maintain whatever trolling speed you want in varying weather conditions. I‘ve been able to split the engines ahead/reverse to maintain heading and desired speed when I had a 20 mph rear quartering wind that was pushing the boat faster than the optimum trolling speed. With a prop driven boat the idle ahead speed is usually too fast for a lot of fresh water trolling. Splitting the engines is very helpful when slow maneuvering as well. I’ve also been in 40 mph winds with 2-3’ wind waves and the boat handled that with aplomb.

The raw water wash down system gets the job done on the gel coated deck, so the boat is free of fish “stuff” and all clean when you take the boat out of the water. The live well works very well, you can even adjust the run and off times on the aerator to keep your fish fresh until the end of the day. I’ve even used the live well as another built in ice box to carry cold bottles of water in.

I can see where the seating on the FSH is more spartan than the 212. I or my guests have found the seating on my FSH comfortable even while out fishing for 10-12 hours a day.

One advantage the 212 does have is the full wind screen, and I would assume a bimini of some sort for added sun or rain protection. I’ve fished on some challenging weather days with with a cold wind and rain or sleet and that full wind screen and a bimini top would provided more protection. For me this was the only down side I could see to the center console vs the walk through bow design, this has not been an issue for me and I wouldn’t trade my center console for the walk through bow. I am however going to get some canvas / isenglass made this next year that will roll up under the T top for some added protection at the helm on those inclement days. I see that Yamaha is offering a rear shade accessory for the FSH boats now.

I picked up some towables recently and will be taking friends out for fun on the water this next year. So the fun and enjoyment this boat brings keeps on getting better.

Last edited:

PatrickKolby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Love my 2021 212SE but there’s no way you’re going to fish on it. Nope! Not happening.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dixemon - Looks like you own an FSH 210? Are you happy with it? Anything you dislike?
There are some small things such as: anchor hatch orientation, front floor hatch drain, clamps on cup holder drains and general fit and finish shortcuts. But overall, I have no regrets. I wouldn't be happy with a 212 because I like to fish a lot, but if your more into comfort for the fam and watersports, cruising ect. the 212 would be a better boat.

Andechsfinance

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Good point... Will probably do more water sports/sand bar hanging out. I also know I am not going to want fish guts on that 212.
FWIW - I went down this path for a long time. The FSH is an excellent boat and I really was sold on it. I opted for the 212XD solely because I realized I like the SUV feeling for having a conversation in a cockpit for a car/boat after renting a Boston Whaler and driving it all day. Conversations where only when we were slow or stopped with anyone outside of the center of the boat. So I will learn to fish off of the XD, but I will always love the FSH.

You can get a cleaning table for the 212 that can hang off the back transom. Potentially that could be where you clean the majority of the fish guts.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I got the 210 I was looking at the FSH. It just didn't feel as conducive as how the family wanted to use it and sit around in back having conversations and hanging out in the cockpit. For me I would have very much enjoyed the FSH personally. I can mod the AR210 and put a trolling motor off the front if that day ever comes and bring on a portable live well if needed. Even if we upgrade we to a 25' it would not be the FSH, per the Admiral, but the FSH is awesome, it just doesn't fit how they enjoy the boat.

EDIT: Not sure how the Admiral and kids get to decide on what type of boat and how we use it...... Not sure when that all happened.

Last edited: