• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH195S battery replacement suggestions

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Howdy folks. On my 2021 fsh195s, the battery dates back to 2020. Today it failed to start. From the dealer came equipped with two starting batteries with the start switch and house switch.
I will be replacing with AGM batteries and am pondering one starting battery and the house to be a deep cycle. My question even though it has the switch is will it create any problems? Or was the original factory intenot to have a start battery and a deep cycle battery separated by the switch and the dealers choice was to stick twostarting batteries in place? on board 2 Marine Master 24M7, 800 CCA @ 0’, MCA 1000 @ 32’

my boat is stored indoors and locked up. Not climate controlle.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you have an onboard charger for these two batteries?
Why do you want AGM batteries?

By the tone of your post it doesn’t sound like you’ve had any issues / performance problems with the battery set up the boat came with?

Marine master batteries are good batteries, so I’d replace the start battery with another one of the same that you have now which I’m assuming is a flooded group 24. Then just get a Marine master group 24 flooded house battery. If you want AGM then just get a Marine Master AGM house battery.

Interstate makes a dual purpose group 24 AGM battery, start / deep cycle that I use for my start battery and for the past couple of years it has been working just fine.

To your question, the intent of the design of the battery switch is to isolate the start battery from house loads so your start battery is fully charged. Since deep cycle batteries are constructed with the intent to be discharged deeper then recharged fully which causes more wear the house battery is usually a deep cycle type.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No trolling motor. Stock radio and speakers. Use for pleasure only. Use a self powered speaker/subwoofer.
Get a couple of fresh green top Interstate Marine start batteries and a decent 2 bank charger.

Your boat does not have the charging capacity to deal with deep cycle batteries.

Check the date on your current batteries, you may just need a good charge.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Grab yourself 2 group 27 AGM's and an onboard charger. Not sure of the existing set up, but you want to keep both batteries the same and be able to cross them for a backup start battery. Keep her plugged in while not using it and you'll never have an issue.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you have an onboard charger for these two batteries?
Why do you want AGM batteries?

By the tone of your post it doesn’t sound like you’ve had any issues / performance problems with the battery set up the boat came with?

Marine master batteries are good batteries, so I’d replace the start battery with another one of the same that you have now which I’m assuming is a flooded group 24. Then just get a Marine master group 24 flooded house battery. If you want AGM then just get a Marine Master AGM house battery.

Interstate makes a dual purpose group 24 AGM battery, start / deep cycle that I use for my start battery and for the past couple of years it has been working just fine.

To your question, the intent of the design of the battery switch is to isolate the start battery from house loads so your start battery is fully charged. Since deep cycle batteries are constructed with the intent to be discharged deeper then recharged fully which causes more wear the house battery is usually a deep cycle type.
Thank you for your reply and suggestions. Very much appreciated 👍🏻 I want to go AGM but don’t have to. You do bring up a good point that is overlooked and that is the set up that came with the boat worked fine for four years. Batteries aren’t forever.

Last edited:

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Get a couple of fresh green top Interstate Marine start batteries and a decent 2 bank charger.

Your boat does not have the charging capacity to deal with deep cycle batteries.

Check the date on your current batteries, you may just need a good charge.
Thanks for your suggestio. Battery dated only as 2020, when o ordered my boat got caught up in the “virus” debacle when the world came to a stand still. Had not had any problems what so ever until yesterday when I was about to warm the engine to change the oil and filter, it failed to start. Display showed both batteries at 13.4, then 12, 10, 0 when tried to start. At five years old the thing to do is just change them out. Don’t want that happening out in the middle of the lake.
when you mention “2 bank charger”. Is that for when in storage on onboard? I do believe while running it is charging both batteries as I can see the display.
I’m not in a big hurry and want to get educated on this matter. We do have an Interstate B dealer in town which I will visit. We also have a commercial dealer that sells generic batteries of all types. Our local AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, and Walmart have some but warranty’s an issue. I’m 150 miles from any major city and online shipping charges are high or store pickup only.
again, I thank you for your information.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When you mention “2 bank charger”. Is that for when in storage on onboard? I do believe while running it is charging both batteries as I can see the display.
Yes, storage.
I use the NOCO 2x2 to keep my 2 Interstate lead acid batteries topped off.
I like the low amp charger. Some use the NOCO 5 amp. The button on the front lets you select from L/A, AGM or lifepoop style batteries.
The 2amp charger may struggle with the parasitic drain you may have from the bilge circuit, physically disconnecting the house battery during charging should solve this.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes, storage.
I use the NOCO 2x2 to keep my 2 Interstate lead acid batteries topped off.
I like the low amp charger. Some use the NOCO 5 amp. The button on the front lets you select from L/A, AGM or lifepoop style batteries.
The 2amp charger may struggle with the parasitic drain you may have from the bilge circuit, physically disconnecting the house battery during charging should solve this.
✅ thanks, good information 👍🏻

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you all who replied to this thread. Great information shared. I appreciate the knowledge you have given me. We take for granted to many things even though sometimes we have to realize equipment has a life expectancy.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3 years OK, 5+ Excellent out of a battery. Most big store ones are made by Johnson control. Group 24, dual purpose or deep cycle. Sub 100$. Use the savings on fuel and food and drinks for the outing :) Between winter and forgetting to turn something off, they will survive one or 5 deep discharges and , the more of those, the worse the life expectancy.

Wear item :)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for your suggestio. Battery dated only as 2020, when o ordered my boat got caught up in the “virus” debacle when the world came to a stand still. Had not had any problems what so ever until yesterday when I was about to warm the engine to change the oil and filter, it failed to start. Display showed both batteries at 13.4, then 12, 10, 0 when tried to start. At five years old the thing to do is just change them out. Don’t want that happening out in the middle of the lake.
when you mention “2 bank charger”. Is that for when in storage on onboard? I do believe while running it is charging both batteries as I can see the display.
I’m not in a big hurry and want to get educated on this matter. We do have an Interstate B dealer in town which I will visit. We also have a commercial dealer that sells generic batteries of all types. Our local AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, and Walmart have some but warranty’s an issue. I’m 150 miles from any major city and online shipping charges are high or store pickup only.
again, I thank you for your information.
So apparently you do not have an on board charger, the boats charging system is not capable of charging your batteries properly. You need to install a two bank, 10A per battery charger like the NOCO, MinnKota and leave it plugged in whenever the boat is not in use. Also install a NOCO plug in your boat to make plugging in the charger easy.

Again, the batteries you got with the boat lasted all this time, and apparently without being charged when the boat is not in use which is saying A LOT about their quality. The voltage condition you mention in the recent failure to start is typical of the plates in the battery being heavily sulphated, which is what happens when any lead acid battery is left in a partial state of discharge, always put lead acid batteries on a charger when you get home from the lake / ocean, don’t wait until the next day, that’s why installing that NOCO plug on your boat is important as it makes it easy.

If you do not have a jump pack that one keeps on board then it’s a good idea to have one of those as well in case closing the emergency paralleling switch is not enough.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
3 years OK, 5+ Excellent out of a battery. Most big store ones are made by Johnson control. Group 24, dual purpose or deep cycle. Sub 100$. Use the savings on fuel and food and drinks for the outing :) Between winter and forgetting to turn something off, they will survive one or 5 deep discharges and , the more of those, the worse the life expectancy.

Wear item :)
Good advice. I did find a local battery only store that carries the generic 24M dual purpose maintence free @ $130 each with two year warranty. I do have 1 genius charger that’s a single bank. The associate told me to continue doing what I was doing to get good life span from the batterie. Thank you for your advice.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So apparently you do not have an on board charger, the boats charging system is not capable of charging your batteries properly. You need to install a two bank, 10A per battery charger like the NOCO, MinnKota and leave it plugged in whenever the boat is not in use. Also install a NOCO plug in your boat to make plugging in the charger easy.

Again, the batteries you got with the boat lasted all this time, and apparently without being charged when the boat is not in use which is saying A LOT about their quality. The voltage condition you mention in the recent failure to start is typical of the plates in the battery being heavily sulphated, which is what happens when any lead acid battery is left in a partial state of discharge, always put lead acid batteries on a charger when you get home from the lake / ocean, don’t wait until the next day, that’s why installing that NOCO plug on your boat is important as it makes it easy.

If you do not have a jump pack that one keeps on board then it’s a good idea to have one of those as well in case closing the emergency paralleling switch is not enough.
Yes, I do have a jump pack I transfer from my truck to my boat. I also saw that no o 2 bank charger on the shelf at the store and is on my budget to purchase in Jul. I have the single bank unit that i bought when I purchased my boat. There is not much difference in price between a 1 bank or 2 bank and the 2 bank would be newer ✅. Thank you for the advice. Everyone that chimed in makes this “jetboaters.net” forum SUPER .

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Flooded Lead acid batteries don't hold up well to pounding chop. The cells are fragile in that regard and I have had a few dead cells occur in FLA's. In addition, the battery maintenance involved with checking and filling water levels are a pain where my batteries are stored. I have all lithium batteries except for my start battery which is an AGM. My recommendation based on my experience is to use AGM. However, if you boat on calm waters all the time you may want to chance a maintenance free lead acid battery.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Flooded Lead acid batteries don't hold up well to pounding chop. The cells are fragile in that regard and I have had a few dead cells occur in FLA's. In addition, the battery maintenance involved with checking and filling water levels are a pain where my batteries are stored. I have all lithium batteries except for my start battery which is an AGM. My recommendation based on my experience is to use AGM. However, if you boat on calm waters all the time you may want to chance a maintenance free lead acid battery.
Thanks for your suggestion. I decided to go with two dual purpose maintenance free batteries, will see after the season is over how the starting performs. If I’m not satisfied will go will your suggestion on the AGM battery for my starting. I didnt this time because the only one in town was $300+ for 1 24M start with a 2 year warranty (interstate) the other was at Sam’s 24M start but only 1 year warranty (Duracell) but the reviews were terrible with Sam’s being exempted from any customer service those issues direct with duracel.
my last 18 years on my job before retiring I took care of substation batteries, most flooded type, maintenance was water level, cell quarters, voltage, 5-minute discharge test monthly, equalize, cleanin, torqu and 90% were clear glass so one can see the deterioration inside where one can see crystallize, wrapped plates, cracked plates, sediment build up, discoloratio, a lot goes on inside battery cases.