• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Got a new 212 SS

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

red92

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Thanks again everyone for all the great information. Yeah got lucky with the wife ;-) lol! By the way smthng it is Jacksonville FL. Hope to see you guys out on the water if you are in the area. One quick question, what is the break in process for the 212SS? I haven't been able to look at the owners manual but figured you guys have been through this. Thanks again. Love this site!

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
By the way smthng it is Jacksonville FL. Hope to see you guys out on the water if you are in the area. One quick question, what is the break in process for the 212SS? I haven't been able to look at the owners manual but figured you guys have been through this. Thanks again. Love this site!
Excellent, we'll be happy to show you around and the best trailer ramps if you're not on a lift or in a marina. :) We're just south of the Jacksonville beltway on the east side of the river, but I trailer all over the place depending on mood and conditions.

"Official" break in is as follows... Check oil level (don't assume dealer did it right), No-wake speeds for first 5 minutes, next 30 minutes under 5000 RPM, then 1 hour under 6000 RPM. My recommendation is no-wake speeds for 5 minutes, then varied RPM up to 5000 for 30 minutes, then varied RPMs slowly working your way up to max RPM for the next hour. For the next two hours, don't keep the same RPM for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time, even if you just vary it by a few 100 RPM. The point of that is to stop the engine from wanting to "settle" at the break-in RPMs. If you run it at 5000 and 6000 RPMs for extended periods during break-in, those are the RPMs it will always "want" to do afterwards. You're basically trying to settle the rings in and work out any manufacturing "bits" in the first few hours. Varying the RPMS is the most important part of doing so, IMO. Also, oil and filter change after 3 hours... it get's all the metalic "dust" from the machining processes out and you want that gone as soon as possible.

red92

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Excellent, we'll be happy to show you around and the best trailer ramps if you're not on a lift or in a marina. :) We're just south of the Jacksonville beltway on the east side of the river, but I trailer all over the place depending on mood and conditions.

"Official" break in is as follows... Check oil level (don't assume dealer did it right), No-wake speeds for first 5 minutes, next 30 minutes under 5000 RPM, then 1 hour under 6000 RPM. My recommendation is no-wake speeds for 5 minutes, then varied RPM up to 5000 for 30 minutes, then varied RPMs slowly working your way up to max RPM for the next hour. For the next two hours, don't keep the same RPM for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time, even if you just vary it by a few 100 RPM. The point of that is to stop the engine from wanting to "settle" at the break-in RPMs. If you run it at 5000 and 6000 RPMs for extended periods during break-in, those are the RPMs it will always "want" to do afterwards. You're basically trying to settle the rings in and work out any manufacturing "bits" in the first few hours. Varying the RPMS is the most important part of doing so, IMO. Also, oil and filter change after 3 hours... it get's all the metalic "dust" from the machining processes out and you want that gone as soon as possible.

Outstanding! We'll definitely have to get together and have some fun! Always great to find new spots to drop in and good people to hang out with! Thanks smthng

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wait, so your wife bought you a new boat??? Um I think I need to return my wife. Apparently mine is defective!! :arghh:

In all seriousness congrats!! Nice sharp boat and helluva wife you got there! :thumbsup:

chris24

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I appreciate it guys! I'll definitely take it slow! I keep seeing fins you can buy for the steering, the thrust vector's. Do these help out?
I have a 2014 212ss. I do not use fins, and am quite good at maneuvering the boat. It just takes practice and getting used to.