• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Got a new 212 SS

red92

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
So the wife just bought me a 2015 212 SS for father's day! She is picking it up tomorrow however she is in Jacksonville and I am stationed in MS. And won't be home until next weekend (sux that I have to wait a week LOL)! I'm New to the jet boat industry, my last boat was a 99 regal 230 with a volvo penta in it. I was wondering do I need to know anything or expect anything for the first time out? Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated? IMG951800.jpg Thanks
Tommy

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Dont saw the wheel back and forth. Make small adjustments. Spend your first day learning how the boat reacts and trying to approach objects. When doing slow maneuvering the no wake mode is your friend

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Uh...yes, you need to practice! Don't take friends and relatives, just the wife...it is a training run the first time. Go during the week, avoid crowded weekend ramps, and once you get the hang of it, you will be on your way. But first scratches are a bitch, try to avoid that and get some experience before fun...and in short order, you will be able to maneuver this boat much better than the Regal! Welcome aboard and congrats...oh, HAPPY FATHERS DAY!

red92

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I appreciate it guys! I'll definitely take it slow! I keep seeing fins you can buy for the steering, the thrust vector's. Do these help out?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey @red92 ! So glad you've joined us. :Welcome:
KILLER new boat - Can't wait to see more photos of it, and your family and friends. We love photos here.
Let us know how we can serve you. And please get ready for a wonderful Boating Season.
Oh yeah . Happy Father's Day to you upcoming, as well.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
+             CartoonWelcomeAboard 86 - red92 - sm.jpg

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I appreciate it guys! I'll definitely take it slow! I keep seeing fins you can buy for the steering, the thrust vector's. Do these help out?
Suggest that you get used to jet drove first, then decide if you want/need fins. It's like a giant jet ski... Check out this video while you wait.

Once you wrap your head around the concept that it's like driving a tow motor you'll be fine.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your boat!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, that's a great gift! check out the FAQ for lot's of good info,

red92

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Thanks again everyone for all the info, looking forward to be getting on the water!

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! As all others have stated, take your time first time out, get familiar with it then bring on the fun. Also check out the help feature this board has, there are quite a few of s who respond when someone is in need. I think it is one of the most valuable features that sets this group apart form all others.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @red92 and congrats on the new boat. Really? A Fathers Day gift? Hopefully this starts a new trend. This is way better than the traditional tie for Fathers Day.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Which "Jacksonville"? There are a few... If it's Florida, just give a shout if you need help with anything. Basically, the cruise/no wake mode is your friend for anything slower than on-plane. Don't be afraid of the throttle when maneuvering... if it starts going where you don't want it, it may take significant throttle to make it go elsewhere... you'll get used to it. When it sounds like the engines are revving too quickly and the boats not going anywhere or you can't get it off the trailer, you forgot to put the cleanout plugs in. :) Enjoy!

eggwhite93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! You and your family are going to love it!

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely yes! If you are getting TV's, get the XL's. Now for the important recommendations. HANG ON TO THAT WIFE. She is a keeper. Congratulations to you both on the new purchase. Welcome. Lots of great information for you here to keep you busy for the next week.

red92

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
LOL! Yeah she did good, a lot better than a tie this year :). I am not aloud to ask for anything for at least the next 3-4 years LOL!
I have been reading up on a lot of things and it seem s the info just keeps on coming. Thanks everyone.

red92

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
IMG_1496.jpg wife just sent a pic saying she's finally home! :D

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Expect it to feel, sound and handle entirely differently than your Regal. Delay judgement until you have out some hours on it. I almost guarantee that the high rpm at low speed will seem very strange. The engine and drive characteristics are just completely different than a stern drive of any type. After you get over that hump, I bet you will love it!

BigVish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just recently went to an AR210 from a 28' CC. Very different but I love mine. That's a heck of a Father's Day gift! Coming from I/O I would suggest going RIDICULOUSLY slow in docking situations. Have a couple mooring lines in the boat affixed to docking side cleats when you're close. Don't be afraid to toss a buddy a line to bring you in last foot or two. Also reverse isn't near as efficient. Fuel mileage in mine has been incredible and once you will love it!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
WOW! You are a lucky guy in so many way!
  1. Your wife bought you a boat!
  2. Your wife trailered the boat home and parked it next to your nice garage!
  3. Your wife said you only have to wait another 2-3 years before you ask for something else!
LOL!!!

Welcome and congratulations on marrying such an amazing woman, and for the new addition to the family. Most others have given you the best advice....take it slow and don't rush. That is when most of us make the bone headed moves!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats! You will enjoy the heck out of it. It is way different that any i/o boat. But, once you get used to it, you will enjoy it. Fins are not necessary. Some people love them. But, fins are not necessary. Just go out and drive it, and get a feel for it and practice.

Edited to fix misinformation.

Last edited: