• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Head Storage Modifications

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_0527.jpg IMG_0528.jpg IMG_0525.jpg IMG_0529.JPG IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0560.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0522.JPG
Several people have asked about the head storage mod. Below is a list of items and where they were purchased for this modification.

Walmart
door hanging shoe rack came larger but cut to fit. You can get two out of one, but I wanted them identical. They were cheap. Less than $5.00 each.
Folding laundry bag.(used to store fenders) is spring loaded and works well. Fenders fit great with ease of removal. It comes with handles. I used one handle and attached it by removing one bolt from the bow divider screws located inside the compartment.
The clear compartments on the door can be located in the bath section on the above store ( I did, after the first trial place glue where the clear compartment mounts unto the clear suction cup) I also have one mounted on the side of the drivers helm.
The mat located on the head floor is a rear floor mat designed to catch water and dirt for cars. Found in any automotive department. (This is where I store my cooler).

Lowes
I used PHILLIPS TRIM SMS 8x5/8 screws (found in the specially screws section)
Used Screw covers 1/4 white (also found in the specialty screws section)
note: If you can find these more in bulk or another store might want to check around. Believe it or not but the screws and covers were the most expensive cost.
6 ft shelf unit. (I cut to fit)
plastic end caps for shelf.
The wood you will be screwing into is 3/4 plywood. If you use 5/8 screws they should not go through the wood
I used muti-cable staples for the shelf brackets (MCS-20W) (located in the electrical department) Comes in a package of 20. Used 6. They are inexpensive. Just a few dollars.

Many of these mods can be done on other boats with some modification to locations and mountings.

Pictured above are a few ideas for their use.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Gary, even on the 240, I would move that table to the right inside of the door. Much easier to get to without moving a thing. Just put a bungee across it and make a little box to nest the base in. Easy mod and way better than reaching through everything. If you want any dimensions, just ask!DSCN1714 (Medium).JPGDSCN1715 (Medium).JPG DSCN1716 labeled.jpg

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mel, I have considered that several times but I do not use it that much. That said when I do, I do not seem to have that much of a problem getting to it. Could you add all your storage mods here and if you do, can you or the one of the moderators change the topic to just Head Storage Mods. I was hoping you and others Would add to this.
Edit: I figured out how to do it and changed it to Head Storage Modifications.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I notice that neither of you have toilets in your head compartment. I have the shoe hanger on the back wall but plan to add more. I have to keep my toilet it was used a few times last season.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I notice that neither of you have toilets in your head compartment. I have the shoe hanger on the back wall but plan to add more. I have to keep my toilet it was used a few times last season.
That is correct, It is usually just the wife and I and a few friends. Very seldom have children, except my grandson. The lakes that I boat on all have easy and quick excess to a restroom. We chose to use the head for storage. I got tired of lifting up seats and making people move every time I needed something. I very seldom have to go into my seat storage while boating.

wakeformer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same suction cup container as you :) I like how the clothes rack fits in there. Any issues with rust

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Boat crazy, My set up is very similair. I have the shelf turned up to help hold those item in palce. I got some stainless steel "S" hooks on-line and use those to hold the life vests etc. lined up across the front. This made it easier to reach an use. Adding these items was one of the best things we did. Everyone love it.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
These look familiar ;)

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rkluck any pics?.... @wakeformer as of last Fall, no rust whatsoever. Have not picked boat up from winter storage but do not expect any. It has been in there for 3 years.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will get some. Either this weekend or next I plan to clean, wax, change oil and plugs! Can't wait!

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Looks good, on my list for this spring.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could we get dimensions on the table base thingy please, @txav8r ? Tia!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Could we get dimensions on the table base thingy please, @txav8r ? Tia!
Will do...but out of pocket a few days. But really, just a padded base to cradle the table end is all you need. Many of you don't have the box to modify, So you need to make one or modify a short, wide bin of some kind. But I have some crude dimensions I made when I traced the end of my table to make my box out of PVC plywood. All you really need is a padded base with a lip and edges.

Last edited:

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I just got here from the old site...

I just want to say thank you for all of these great storage ideas.

I have not even taken possession of my boat, but I have purchased all of these head modifications...lol

Also, I found a suction paper fowl holder on amazon that should work great without having to make it yourself.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got here from the old site...

I just want to say thank you for all of these great storage ideas.

I have not even taken possession of my boat, but I have purchased all of these head modifications...lol

Also, I found a suction paper fowl holder on amazon that should work great without having to make it yourself.
Welcome @billyb. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Welcome Aboard topics. I see you have 2 locations. Do you live at one and boat the other?

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I live in St. Louis and my family has a house at the lake of the ozarks, so that is where my boat is stored (or will be in a month).

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@billyb There is a large group of Yamaha jet boaters that vacate the Alton pool area of the Mississippi if you ever wanted to boat closer to home or try out the Mississippi river we would be more then happy to have you come along for a ride or even help you with your own boat outing.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I promised measurements of the table storage box...DSCN1723.JPGDSCN1702.JPG DSCN1703.JPG

DSCN1705.JPG
DSCN1706.JPG
DSCN1715.JPG
DSCN1714.JPG
DSCN1710.JPG
DSCN1708 note.jpg

As I mentioned, I made this out of the table storage box that came standard on my '08 SX 230. It was mounted along the back wall of the head storage compartment on the shelf (this is actually against the port side hull). I found it cumbersome to reach through the storage compartment when it was full. And it was a must to move it after I mounted shelves where it had been. So it was one of the first mods I did in the compartment to give me room on the back wall for the shelves. Those follow...

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Anyone do these awesome storage mods in a 212X. All I see is 24ft boats with this. The area in my 212X isn't even close to being "user friendly" like the 24ft area.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I used the same material that that little table box was made of...PVC 1/2" plywood sheet. It isn't wood, it is PVC, and it is somewhat flimsy, it can't be glued easily, and screws must be used to join it together. But it is waterproof and won't rot. So I bought some of it at a sign shop (fastsigns) and made my shelves from it.
DSCN1716 labeled.jpg DSCN1717.JPG shelf overhang.jpg DSCN1719.JPG DSCN1720.JPG
The loss of storage space or use as a head compartment is nil. Because the shelves are mounted over the bow in the side of the hull and not over the floor area of the compartment. So you could still use it as a head, or as a massive storage area as it is along with more organization shelves.

Attachments