• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Help - boat nearly sank, engines flooded

So battery charged, tried to start it up cranked really well a few times then just hard stopped. Won’t crank anymore....sounds like something is locked up maybe?

edit: took plugs out and got more water from cylinders 3&4.

Last edited:
So battery charged, tried to start it up cranked really well a few times then just hard stopped. Won’t crank anymore....sounds like something is locked up maybe?

edit: took plugs out and got more water from cylinders 3&4.

note sure this is a good idea but do you have a shop vac? Could you vacuum out thru the plug holes?

how does it crank without the plugs? Should be really easy.
Without plugs, cranks no prob.
It really wants to start. It’s turning over well now and rumbling like it wants to start just won’t catch. Charging battery again now

note sure this is a good idea but do you have a shop vac? Could you vacuum out thru the plug holes?
I do have one, not sure if I have an extension small enough to fit down there though

Is there any chance the gas could be bad? Water was a foot high in the cabin by the time tow boat starting pumping. The gas tank would have been completely submerged.

Did you check the air cleaner element if it is wet it will choke out the engine just release the hose from the throttle body attaching to the air cleaner box also your electronics are wet so spray clear silicon spray on all the electrical connectors you can find and in the coils on the spark plugs , spray the heck out of them

And if you can steal a hair dryer from the admiral use it to dry everything off and to shoot hot air into the spark plug holes.

Did you check the air cleaner element if it is wet it will choke out the engine just release the hose from the throttle body attaching to the air cleaner box also your electronics are wet so spray clear silicon spray on all the electrical connectors you can find and in the coils on the spark plugs , spray the heck out of them
Ok will try that. Air filters are out at the moment.

And if you can steal a hair dryer from the admiral use it to dry everything off and to shoot hot air into the spark plug holes.

Jeff, is there any chance water is still in the intake manifold? Thats what happened with my Sea Doo and a lot of the symptoms are similar.

it is possible since this is basically a sinker I would open the throttle, remove the hose and blow warm air in there to dry it out.

it is possible since this is basically a sinker I would open the throttle, remove the hose and blow warm air in there to dry it out.
When it was trying to start there was a lot of water coming out the exhaust port near the pump.
Which hose is for the intake?

Jeff, is there any chance water is still in the intake manifold? Thats what happened with my Sea Doo and a lot of the symptoms are similar.
Would that also maybe explain why I had to keep blowing the plugs out? 3-4 times until all the water was gone. It would seem like it was gone then I would put the plugs in and crank and would lock up again. Take the plugs out and more water came out.
Its not doing that now, it’s just cranking and rumbling a bit but won’t catch.

the big hose between the throttle body and the air box is the hose and yes if water is there it will get sucked in

This happened to me. Still have PTSD from that experience on the river, so I know what you went through. In my case, the clean out plug blew and dislodged in the tube. That dislodgement manipulated the shape of the tube that the clean out plug is located in. That crated a gap allowing the water shooting up the tube to pour into the area behind the engine compartment which then filled up the engine compartment. So, I would suggest making sure your tubes are tight around the lips of the opening of the clean out plug hole. You can do this by lifting the removable cover under the rear hatch and checking the hose clamps that hold the tubes to the lip.

Something else I thought of to say. Since mine was considered an accident and not negligence, insurance covered it. I had to prove that water got high enough to get into the engines. You should have a visible water/debris line in the engine compartment. You can also lift up the floor hatch where the gas tank is. You will probably see a water line there too. Take pics and document.

This happened to me. Still have PTSD from that experience on the river, so I know what you went through. In my case, the clean out plug blew and dislodged in the tube. That dislodgement manipulated the shape of the tube that the clean out plug is located in. That crated a gap allowing the water shooting up the tube to pour into the area behind the engine compartment which then filled up the engine compartment. So, I would suggest making sure your tubes are tight around the lips of the opening of the clean out plug hole. You can do this by lifting the removable cover under the rear hatch and checking the hose clamps that hold the tubes to the lip.
Thanks. Plugs were definitely still in place. Had ezlocks and weren’t blown anyway. I actually did check the tubes while I was poking around in the rear hatch today and they seemed fine. I really couldn’t see anything at all that looked disconnected or broken
Except
The rubber band that goes around the big water box was in the bottom of the bilge. But the box is actually resting on something else so it’s still connected.

Something else I thought of to say. Since mine was considered an accident and not negligence, insurance covered it. I had to prove that water got high enough to get into the engines. You should have a visible water/debris line in the engine compartment. You can also lift up the floor hatch where the gas tank is. You will probably see a water line there too. Take pics and document.
I wonder if the salvage contract and statement from the boatus captain would be enough. He couldn’t even tow it as it was the water was so high. Took about 30 mins of 2 pumps just to get it stable. Even then, the engine compartment and bilge were still completely full.

Back