• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help - boat nearly sank, engines flooded

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Update: there was definitely water in the airbox. About 1L. Pumped out.
air intake had some water that dripped out, maybe a cup full.
Rechecked for water in cylinders and they are dry.
still Wont start. Turns over but won’t catch.
If the new spark plugs got wet because more water went in would they be ruined too?

I think I may try the other engine and see if I get the same results. If so maybe it is the fuel?

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are you sure you got all the water out of the intake side? And is it kicking over sounding like it might start or just cranking?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you reinstall the wet air filter?

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Are you sure you got all the water out of the intake side? And is it kicking over sounding like it might start or just cranking?
I have the intake hose off the throttle body, so even if there was water in there it wouldn’t be doing anything.

it’s basically just cranking, but every couple seconds or so it starts to rumble like it’s going to start.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did you spray any starter fluid, fogging oil etc.. into the spark plug hole and then try to crank it ??
or maybe into the air inlet,

if the cylinders don't have sitting water I would think doing that would at least get them to fire momentarily, if it didn't work I might think I wasn't getting a spark and would confirm that,

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The time clock is ticking fast on saving the engine(s). You need to get the boat to somebody who knows how to get her running and do the boil out procedure. Which is running and changing the oil multiple times. That salt water inside the engine is not going to wait to start rusting your cylinders.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The time clock is ticking fast on saving the engine(s). You need to get the boat to somebody who knows how to get her running and do the boil out procedure. Which is running and changing the oil multiple times. That salt water inside the engine is not going to wait to start rusting your cylinders.
This time of year, and this area.... if he has the time and knowledge he's is better off doing it himself. I doubt anyone in the area can get to it in the next 24-48 hours.

OP, have you changed the oil?

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
did you spray any starter fluid, fogging oil etc.. into the spark plug hole and then try to crank it ??
or maybe into the air inlet,

if the cylinders don't have sitting water I would think doing that would at least get them to fire momentarily, if it didn't work I might think I wasn't getting a spark and would confirm that,

No will try that now

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I agree and like Adrian said everywhere here is booked for at least a week. I’ve already called and I’ll keep it until my appointment. No sense dropping it off for it to sit there

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This time of year, and this area.... if he has the time and knowledge he's is better off doing it himself. I doubt anyone in the area can get to it in the next 24-48 hours.

OP, have you changed the oil?
Yes oil is changed...only once because I haven’t been able to get them started to mix it to change it again.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The best thing you can do is to keep trying until it fires up. Just letting it sit is what will kill it with the water in the engine. Starting fluid my be your best friend at this moment if it is indeed trying to start occasionally and your not pumping water out of the cylinders anymore.

VERY unlikely that you have water in the fuel. If water got in the tank then there would have been a terrible smell of fumes before all of this even started due to either the filler neck or the sending units not being sealed and gas being leaked as it was being sloshed around during trailering or while under way.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Water on the plugs will keep them from sparking until it dries but it won’t ruin them right away.

You mentioned recent service a couple times but also that your exhaust was missing a hold down strap. Sounds like sloppy work & very possibly the root of your problem.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Port side engine started after going through the same process. I ran it for about 30 seconds then stopped it to move it to where I have water. Now it won’t start lol. Chugs much better than the stbd but won’t catch, going to try and put some starting fluid in it

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Port side engine started after going through the same process. I ran it for about 30 seconds then stopped it to move it to where I have water. Now it won’t start lol. Chugs much better than the stbd but won’t catch, going to try and put some starting fluid in it
Well I should say it did start again briefly. Enough time for me to jump off the boat to go flip the water on and it stalled out

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I should say it did start again briefly. Enough time for me to jump off the boat to go flip the water on and it stalled out
Yer gaining :thumbsup:

Don't forget that it's going to take quite a bit before it runs anywhere near smooth. Your trying to burn fuel & water off at the same time until it runs at temp for quite a while.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wouldn’t worry about getting the hose turned on and off at this point. If it’s stalling you might end up pumping more water into it from the hose after it stalls.
You’re not going to overheat a cold engine very fast.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length