• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help with selecting a "zone controler" for my audio system

charliebravo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello from Richmond Va. First time poster, frequent lurker.

Was hoping to get a learned opinion on selecting a "dual zone controller". The intention is to individually control the volumes on the wake tower and the cabin speakers.

The two most likely candidates are the
  1. http://www.kicker.com/10ZXMRLC and
  2. the https://roswellmarine.com/dualzonevolumecontrolfeature.php
The obvious choice seems to be the Roswell (easier install and less then half the cost). The Kicker however has a preamp. So the question is, "do i need a preamp".

Current setup is
Head Unit - JBL MR-18.3 (power output 4 x 45 watts)
Amp 1 JL Audio M400/4 for the cabin speakers
Amp 2 JL Audio M200/2 for the wake tower

Thanks for the help in advance. I have really benefited from the knowledge and projects posted on this site.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You can get to where you want to be in a number of ways. My solution was to replace the HU, which was pushed along because I had HU issues and Yamaha couldn't fix it gave me a credit. So my Fusion HU gives me 4 zones of control. I can tell you that it has a new set of limitations however. You can't seem to set the level of all zones and then turn off the HU and back on, without it booting back to a default of neutral or the same level on all 4 zones. You may find that you have better control on your choices. The Fusion unit is a vast improvement over the stock HU with more of a pre amp capability. But you don't need a pre amp unless you want to clean up the signal into the amps and produce more sound from your amps without clipping. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the journey!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used a Clarion EQS746, it's not marine rated, but it only costs about 65.00. I've been using it for 3 years without an issue to do exactly what you want to do. I took it a step further and I use the sub level output also which gives me independent subwoofer control. There is a small fade knob that allows me to fade between the tower and interior speakers quickly.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You can get a line level control (knob) for your JL amps. I'd just get one for the tower amp to control the volume, and the others would be off the radio volume control.

charliebravo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't realize their was a "remote line control" plug for the amps (thanks brockhals). That's convenient. Solves a problem I would have created by installing the zone control (lose the ability to fade forward and back).

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@subysti i like the inline volume control you used. were they easy to take apart to flush mount as you did in lieu of surface? Trying to figure out if that was a design or did you have to disassemble the knob and 'rig' it? and no issues with moisture?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jwiley They were easy to install. They are designed to be either flush mounted like I have or surface mounted. Just undo the nut on the back and the surface mount slides off. Drill the hole, put them in and tighten the nut, done.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
It's probably more than most want to spend and I didn't want to spend it either, but the WetSounds WS420-SQ is a winner! Not only do I have zone control for the cabin and tower speakers, but I can adjust the sub as well. Not to mention the dual zone EQ so I can adjust each zone independently if need be for certain songs (too much bass) or certain listening situations (at the sandbar).

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with @Sotally Tober . I have the Westsounds WS-420 and it's awesome. My only advice is to mount it where kids can't get to it. There's a lot of attractive nobs for kids to mess with....