• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hit a large log/tree

NewGuy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So last weekend I ran over a huge floating log at about 35 mpg. The thump was massive enough I was closely monitoring the bilge; imagining the worst and even told my family to put their life vests on. When I pulled the boat out, the forklift guy (I’m in dry storage) let me inspect closely and……nada, not even a slight sign of any fiberglass spidering. Just a few light scratches on the keel. Before this event I was seriously considering trading for a Cobalt since I Love the solid feel of that boat. Now I realize had this been an IO, inboard or outboard, I’d be done for the summer. Very happy and relieved!

So last weekend I ran over a huge floating log at about 35 mpg. The thump was massive enough I was closely monitoring the bilge; imagining the worst and even told my family to put their life vests on. When I pulled the boat out, the forklift guy (I’m in dry storage) let me inspect closely and……nada, not even a slight sign of any fiberglass spidering. Just a few light scratches on the keel. Before this event I was seriously considering trading for a Cobalt since I Love the solid feel of that boat. Now I realize had this been an IO, inboard or outboard, I’d be done for the summer. Very happy and relieved!
I hit a hunk of wood that was super loud earlier this year and I had all the same panic thoughts as you. I couldn’t find any damage at all.

I’ve read where other people barely knew they hit anything and they have scrapes halfway through their keel.

Lucky breaks!

I hit a stump about 8 years ago. $7,500 damage. It was a severe impact that jacked the back of boat up in the air. It was fixed perfectly.

DSC_6826.JPGDSC_6826.JPGDSC_7433.JPG

I was at Lake Powell a number of years ago. I had an 18' Beachcraft with a Mercruiser I/O and was pullling my daughter on a tube. I didn't see the whale until it was too late. It cleanly took off the keel fiberglass from front to back and the entire lower unit. My daughter skimmed right over the rock and wanted to know why we stopped. Luckily I had a 5 hp kicker motor which we used to make the 6 hour trip back to the marina at 4 miles an hour. Needless to say the insurance paid for the boat and i bought an new 21' Sea Ray Signiture Select I/O with a 350 cid motor. A day that will live in the minds of my wife and kids forever.

Back