• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How many hours are you at? And, any major issues up to this point?

Circa 100 hours. Replaced Steering Cables myself, they didn't make it 1 year. Anchor locker drain. Engine Hatch is misaligned and is starting to annoy me when I look at it. USB connecter at helm fell apart and power receptacle fell apart. Replaced with both after maket and LED readout. Removed a ton of stuff from the bilge. Plastic that holds helm door across the walkway cracked. Hoses clamps and most screws were loose.
That may qualify as a lemon! Jk. I’ve heard some things about the steering cables going bad. What do u start to see/feel as they begin to fail…loose steering, not as responsive?

My boat has about 60 hours and needs a set of steering cables that I can’t currently find.
It’s fresh water only and sitting in a dry climate, frustrating thing to have to replace already.

No other issues at all.
What’s wrong with the steering cables? @HangOutdoors mentioned his needed replaced too…seems like low hours for those to go bad.

@BeauSko In the spring when I took it out for the first time for this season, I could barely move the steering wheel, without a lot of effort. We went out on Lake St. Clair and I figured they just needed some time to free up. It got continually worse and in a heavy chop and head wind I had to keep traversing the waves from about 7 miles out to get back in. My hands were cramping. The boat was virtually not drive able as they got worse as the day went on. I was doing work behind the boat and putting on trim tabs before the first trip. I remember I couldn't move the buckets left or right from behind the boat but went up into the boat and moved the wheel which was firm. So I didn't think about it.

I tried lubricating and it didn't help. Called the dealer and they said they could get me in, in 3 weeks, they had that many service appointments already scheduled from existing customers. I ordered cables and put them in myself. Really wasn't that bad. But I do know and the Admiral confirmed, that with the new cables in, the steering was much smoother than it was last year and very noticeable. There was water intrusion in the sleeve of the port steering cable. Apparently it is from a poor design where there is just a rubber boot pushed over the end. You can see two of them if you look. Per @Cobra Jet Steering LLC , I took Jeff's advice and I coated and keep coating my steering and bucket rods and linkeage with the wax from a toilet bowl gasket. It stays on good for about three trips then I smear it over it again. Keeps the water out. Not sure if there is a better solution, but other members have indicated that they can't even order them right now or get them soon. So I don't want to take a chance.

Last edited:
68 hours, 2021 252XE
  • Plastic that holds helm door across the walkway cracked (I saw Hangoutdoors with this);
  • 12volt electrical out and fuse change does not resolve includes all charging outlets and dig lighter plug
  • Tower lights inopp,
  • Starboard dock light inopp;
  • Screws fell out of Connext screen backing and bottom two will not reseat.
  • Small cracking/tear in front port seat, ? cause;
  • Screw stripped from port wakeboard holder,
  • Occasionally hard to start port side engine with port side fat sac when surfing.
  • All minor, otherwise running well.

Plastic that holds helm door across the walkway cracked (I saw Hangoutdoors with this);

I tried to super glue it but it didn't hold. Part look spendy on Partzilla. Was thinking of finding a way to make it out of aluminum or something stronger.

I tried to super glue it but it didn't hold. Part look spendy on Partzilla. Was thinking of finding a way to make it out of aluminum or something stronger.
Mine broke in a week; should be covered under warranty I hope...Aluminum would be great

@BeauSko In the spring when I took it out for the first time for this season, I could barely move the steering wheel, without a lot of effort. We went out on Lake St. Clair and I figured they just needed some time to free up. It got continually worse and in a heavy chop and head wind I had to keep traversing the waves from about 7 miles out to get back in. My hands were cramping. The boat was virtually not drive able as they got worse as the day went on. I was doing work behind the boat and putting on trim tabs before the first trip. I remember I couldn't move the buckets left or right from behind the boat but went up into the boat and moved the wheel which was firm. So I didn't think about it.

I tried lubricating and it didn't help. Called the dealer and they said they could get me in, in 3 weeks, they had that many service appointments already scheduled from existing customers. I ordered cables and put them in myself. Really wasn't that bad. But I do know and the Admiral confirmed, that with the new cables in, the steering was much smoother than it was last year and very noticeable. There was water intrusion in the sleeve of the port steering cable. Apparently it is from a poor design where there is just a rubber boot pushed over the end. You can see two of them if you look. Per @Cobra Jet Steering LLC , I took Jeff's advice and I coated and keep coating my steering and bucket rods and linkeage with the wax from a toilet bowl gasket. It stays on good for about three trips then I smear it over it again. Keeps the water out. Not sure if there is a better solution, but other members have indicated that they can't even order them right now or get them soon. So I don't want to take a chance.
That sucks. I haven’t had a prob yet but thanks for pointing out the bad design with the rubber boot. I’ll take a look and see if I notice any water intrusion…perhaps catch it before it goes bad.

My boat is a bit older than yours but, last month I hit 220hrs. I wish it had more hours but I try and boat as often as I can.

Only issue I had was an oil filter that had a sidewall failure and was leaking when the engine ran. Long story to how I found that. But, besides that (which was my fault when I put the filter on too tight) zero issues. Haven't burned an drop of oil in 7yrs and mechanically its been a beast. Couple of issues of hand rails coming lose and some other small cosmetic issues but nothing to even complain about.

Love my boat.
Likewise, nearly the same amount of hours, tightening of handrails, no major issues, we love our boat too :winkingthumbsup"

213 hours. Bought it last June at 140, finished last season with 198. Put 15 hours on this season. Absolutely zero issues aside from a small flooding issue that was my fault. Quick fix, just milky oil.

The regular SC rebuild, oil/coolant/spark plug replacement once a year and a carbon seal replacement this year because it had not been done yet. This boat will probably outlive me!

2018 AR210, about 80 hours; Loose handrails that I tightened back up, 2x broken rear ladder strap (rubber), plastic piece on windshield end cracked off (haven't fixed or found how to get a replacement), sound insulation coming unglued (used 3m spray adhesive to fix).

Not too bad and very dependable so far.

260 hours on our 2021 212SE. Only mechanical issue has been O2 sensor gone bad.

Holy shit. I though I ran mine a lot. I am at about ~90 since march.

378 hours on our 2012 SX240, new radio and 2 new speakers. Replaced both impellers because they were nicked up. On the second snap on cover, boat lives on an uncovered lift. We don’t run it hard, mostly just no wake mode to 35mph. Change oil and plugs every other year, Seafoam with every tank. Runs great!

62 hours on our 2020 212s. Its been great so far with no real issues other than lost bumpers after going through locks :).
I did have a poorly sealed rear access hatch that caused some water intrusion. A little silicone fixed it.

Just broke 100hrs. No real issues with mine other than the typical anchor locker drain issue. Had another issue with the side glass releasing. The sika primer didnt adhere. I had an automotive glass guy come pull both side windows and rebed them. Took him 30 min and i just sent the bill to yamaha. Fit an finish on my boat is pretty good. I have no complaints. Compared to everyone else’s 2021 stories on here, i really feel lucky.

12.5 hours….damaged my wear rings on maiden voyage. Pumps are out, waiting for parts. Other minor issues which I have fixed myself. I.E. Anchor Locker drain, hoses and wiring harnesses hanging loosely and rubbing, screws loose.

Just over 50 hours on our 2021 212XE. Just a few minor issues. The table bracket spacer was installed upside down, so when the table leg was inserted, it leaned over. Flipped it over myself. No big deal. A little water leaking at the clean out tray, and I sealed it up. The anchor locker fitting was not drilled very straight, and it would not sit flush with the outside of the hull, so I installed a stainless steel one. The steering wheel was off center from the factory. Removing the hex bolts and clocking it the other way just makes it off center the other direction. That’s the only thing I’ll have the dealer fix at the end of the season. It’s been 100% reliable so far. Just did a second oil and filter change, and new spark plugs.

Man, some of y'all run the boat a LOT.

140ish on my 2017, only issues that weren't my fault have been about 4 of the stupid swim deck seat latches, and needed to rebuild a cleanout plug (arguably that one is probably my fault, too).

120hrs on 2020 212S nothing except chasing water intrusion issues, also my stbd eng rpms max out at 7300 and port 7500. Boat runs strong.
20210813_134017.jpg

120hrs on 2020 212S nothing except chasing water intrusion issues, also my stbd eng rpms max out at 7300 and port 7500. Boat runs strong.
Check the throttle position sensors on the side walls in the engine compartment. You can adjust the tension of the cables with the nuts. With the engines off, have someone push the throttles full forward and hold there, and note the sensor wheel rotation. If it doesn't quite hit the stop, then you need to loosen the locking nut, tighten the cable just a couple of turns. I checked mine this summer and found the cables stretched a bit from factory and was hitting high 7400's. After adjustment, I'm back to 7600.

Also check your plugs...like all boat engines, they rev much higher than vehicles for long periods and it's hard on the plugs. A bit of wear of the plug and you'll lose 100 rpm on the top end but it'll run fine otherwise.

Check the throttle position sensors on the side walls in the engine compartment. You can adjust the tension of the cables with the nuts. With the engines off, have someone push the throttles full forward and hold there, and note the sensor wheel rotation. If it doesn't quite hit the stop, then you need to loosen the locking nut, tighten the cable just a couple of turns. I checked mine this summer and found the cables stretched a bit from factory and was hitting high 7400's. After adjustment, I'm back to 7600.

Also check your plugs...like all boat engines, they rev much higher than vehicles for long periods and it's hard on the plugs. A bit of wear of the plug and you'll lose 100 rpm on the top end but it'll run fine otherwise.
Good stuff, thanks ?

Back