• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to get a set of spare keys for cheap

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The dealer wanted $13.50 for a precut key and since I wanted 4 of them in addition to the 2 I already had (set for starting the boat, set hidden in the boat, set in the truck), I would have had to cough up $54 for four small keys. I went to a big box store and they couldn't make one. Then I went to a local locksmith and he made me 4 keys for $12. My locksmith had the correct type of blanks. Here is what he used.
http://mysecuritypro.com/yamahayh52keyblanks.aspx

The YH52 key blank is just a bit longer than my original factory keys, but they work just fine. Since they are backups it's a non issue for me.

I read on a different forum that Ace hardware carries a key that matches more closely in length. It is the SS4
http://mysecuritypro.com/SentrySS4KeyBlanks.aspx

One thing I will mention, and everyone should do this, is to write down the 3 digit key code on your keys, so that if you ever loose your original set you know that you can reorder them. Sometimes you can find originals on ebay for pretty cheap (mine wasn't available on ebay). Without that key code, you will have to call mother Yamaha with your Hull number or possibly a number off the engine to get the key number.

Here are some pictures of my YH52 spare keys.
sparekeys1.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great tip, thanks for sharing!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yup, son in law's a locksmith. Couldn't pay for a key if I tried. He made several sets for everything we have.

Now if I can only figure out which goes to what.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yup, son in law's a locksmith. Couldn't pay for a key if I tried. He made several sets for everything we have.

Now if I can only figure out which goes to what.
He must be quite talented.....seems he also found out how to make the keys to your daughter's heart as well! :winkingthumbsup"

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One thing I will mention, and everyone should do this, is to write down the 3 digit key code on your keys, so that if you ever loose your original set you know that you can reorder them. Sometimes you can find originals on ebay for pretty cheap (mine wasn't available on ebay). Without that key code, you will have to call mother Yamaha with your Hull number or possibly a number off the engine to get the key number.

View attachment 6042

Actually the 3 digit ignition code is also on the ignition if you ever loose your keys you can just pull that out and get another set made.......ask me how I know. :mad:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Actually I did get my keys back and didn't have to pull ignitions thanks to @mattschepker, but it was a close call. I gave my wife , @jcyamahariders wife , my keys for the very first time ever as we were finishing the day and she lays them on the trailer. Get home an hour and a half later and I ask where the boat keys were, here came the gasp......

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Actually I did get my keys back and didn't have to pull ignitions thanks to @mattschepker, but it was a close call. I gave my wife , @jcyamahariders wife , my keys for the very first time ever as we were finishing the day and she lays them on the trailer. Get home an hour and a half later and I ask where the boat keys were, here came the gasp......
He should know better I always misplace everything from my cell phone to my purse. But as a good boating wife I always made sure I was on top of everything we were doing so it is not just on one person to remember everything. I slipped up but it ended on a happy note and a friend found both our keys :jawdrop:

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Great tip. Just ordered 10 keys for $6.80. Now I have to make a trip to the hardware store to have them cut.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great tip. Just ordered 10 keys for $6.80. Now I have to make a trip to the hardware store to have them cut.
10 keys!!! Does everyone in the neighborhood get one? :)

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It was cheaper to buy 10 keys then five keys. Now I can keep them everywhere lol

2.72 a key for four and .68 a key for 10. So ten it is :)

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It was cheaper to buy 10 keys then five keys. Now I can keep them everywhere lol

Gotcha, makes sense then.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Hmmm, a 2013 AR240 huh? Maybe I should hang on to a set for ya...Just in case. :winkingthumbsup"

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be sure to double check your boat year to make sure you get the correct blanks,

my '07 took a YH 38 which can be found here http://mysecuritypro.com/yamahayh38keyblanks.aspx

the YH 38 has a slightly longer shoulder also but doesn't cause any functional issues, Be sure to call a locksmith first to make sure they have them in stock, it also cost me $3. a key

boat key.JPG

Unreal Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a locksmith that I have used that can take a blank and a file, listen to the tumblers as he inserts the blank into the switch and cut the key with the file way quicker than him using his machine..he did it for my second set for another craft we own!
I now realize I need to get the second set for our 230. Thanks for this post!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha keys are very basic, if you can buy the blanks any locksmith can cut in seconds on the machine, but I'm sure the locksmith could supply the key for a reasonable charge.
I sorted my old locksmith books out and remember Yamaha boat key blanks are motorbike keys from any manufacturer.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

TugBoat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The dealer wanted $13.50 for a precut key and since I wanted 4 of them in addition to the 2 I already had (set for starting the boat, set hidden in the boat, set in the truck), I would have had to cough up $54 for four small keys. I went to a big box store and they couldn't make one. Then I went to a local locksmith and he made me 4 keys for $12. My locksmith had the correct type of blanks. Here is what he used.

The YH52 key blank is just a bit longer than my original factory keys, but they work just fine. Since they are backups it's a non issue for me.

I read on a different forum that Ace hardware carries a key that matches more closely in length. It is the SS4

View attachment 6042

TugBoat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 6042
Will those key blanks also work for my 2015 Sx 190 key code 847?

acme-supply

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello, I recently made extra keys using Ilco YM56 for a 2016 ar240. Fit was good and the length was the closet I could find.