• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hydrophase Ridesteady GPS Speed Control JETBOATERS.NET Member Discount, Jan 2021

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe the round RideSteady can replace your port tach, from what research I've done!
That’s correct. The round, in-dash Ridesteady display can replace one of the tachs in the instrument panel. However, the original tachs need to stay connected or Connext will throw a fit. They can be secured behind the instrument panel with zip ties or the like.

Also it should be noted that a couple customers recently have had a hard time getting the tach out, possibly due to cross threading of the plastic nut threads on the back.

Last edited:

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can't use the round display on my 2016 242 LS and I am not really a fan of all of the stuff sticking out everywhere for the external display (that's just my personal preference). I do think I can find a spot for it to flush mount the rectangular display. Is that possible?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I can't use the round display on my 2016 242 LS and I am not really a fan of all of the stuff sticking out everywhere for the external display (that's just my personal preference). I do think I can find a spot for it to flush mount the rectangular display. Is that possible?
I struggled with the same thing. I eventually just bit the bullet and mounted the external gauge. If I didn't have my chartplotter I could have easily flush mounted the round gauge in my dash. I think it'd be tough without some decent fabrication to make the square gauge mount anywhere.

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What are the dimensions of the external display? The website focuses on the round Gauge. I don't mind a litte fabrication work if the dimensions fit.
I think ridesteady should look at a licensing model for yamaha as it really should be part of the connext going forward.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What are the dimensions of the external display? The website focuses on the round Gauge. I don't mind a litte fabrication work if the dimensions fit.
I think ridesteady should look at a licensing model for yamaha as it really should be part of the connext going forward.
The external display is about 1" in depth. Other dimensions here: Ridesteady Display (Gauge) Sizing | HYDROPHASE LLC .

There aren't any mounting holes to grab onto with the display. We use VHB tape to adhere to the included Ram Mount. The cable exits the back.

1619710230765.png

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
thanks, I will have to measure when I get to the boat on Saturday, but I think I can make that work. Can I get one without the Ram Mount?

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Still one of the best things I've ever bought for the boat. Only issue I have is that i feel the interface is a bit difficult to decipher. (the other day I somehow got out of GPS and into RPM control mode and it took me until the next trip out to figure out how to change it back.)

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Still one of the best things I've ever bought for the boat. Only issue I have is that i feel the interface is a bit difficult to decipher. (the other day I somehow got out of GPS and into RPM control mode and it took me until the next trip out to figure out how to change it back.)
I'm happy to hear you still like the system, but sad to hear our system wasn't more intuitive for you. In fact, that was the point of the knob was to make things easier, but there is a limitation when trying to put lots of features on limited screen space.

The easiest way to change back into a particular mode or user is to single press the right "menu" button. That will go from the set speed to the control mode (if the system is ON) to the Users. You can then rotate the knob to select a particular control mode or user (depending on where the cursor is at).

This assumes you're at less than 5 MPH. If above that, the cursor will automatically move to the set speed area.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm happy to hear you still like the system, but sad to hear our system wasn't more intuitive for you. In fact, that was the point of the knob was to make things easier, but there is a limitation when trying to put lots of features on limited screen space.

The easiest way to change back into a particular mode or user is to single press the right "menu" button. That will go from the set speed to the control mode (if the system is ON) to the Users. You can then rotate the knob to select a particular control mode or user (depending on where the cursor is at).

This assumes you're at less than 5 MPH. If above that, the cursor will automatically move to the set speed area.
The speed portion is what got me. I was not floating in a cove. I'd only think of it when we were cruising. I've only had one day when it was slightly cloudy and I got zero GPS control. Unit showed signal but no speed. (which is how I accidently put it into RPM mode trying to see what was up.)

I completely understand that you tried to give as much control in as simple a unit as possible.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I switch between GPS and RPM mode all the time - just push in your dial button (on stand alone box) until it blinks, then use the knob to rotate through until you highlight GPS/RPM and press the dial in to select, rotate the knob to switch it.

GPS = watersports perfection
RPM = cruising perfection

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The speed portion is what got me. I was not floating in a cove. I'd only think of it when we were cruising. I've only had one day when it was slightly cloudy and I got zero GPS control. Unit showed signal but no speed. (which is how I accidently put it into RPM mode trying to see what was up.)

I completely understand that you tried to give as much control in as simple a unit as possible.
If the GPS is showing zero when at speed, the receiver may not have initialized (which would show an "X" in the top left corner rather than the GPS signal). To reinitialize, you can do a power cycle: turn both key switches off, wait 60 seconds, then hit the power button. If you have a newer system, you can hit the power button immediately and it will countdown 60 seconds before killing the power.

If a power cycle doesn't resolve it, try re-seating the GPS connector into the CPU with the power off, then power back on.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the GPS is showing zero when at speed, the receiver may not have initialized (which would show an "X" in the top left corner rather than the GPS signal). To reinitialize, you can do a power cycle: turn both key switches off, wait 60 seconds, then hit the power button. If you have a newer system, you can hit the power button immediately and it will countdown 60 seconds before killing the power.

If a power cycle doesn't resolve it, try re-seating the GPS connector into the CPU with the power off, then power back on.
If you have GPS signal (as you stated but I failed to read correctly), and it's showing zero speed, you may not be going fast enough. There's a zeroing function in the receiver itself that keeps the speed pinned to zero if you're below about 4 MPH. This is to prevent erratic speed readings at slow / zero speed (as it's difficult for GPS receivers to ascertain a reliable speed that low).

If it's still reading zero and you're sure you're at 5 MPH or more (in other words, if you're above "idle"), I'd recommend a power cycle as detailed above.

Last edited:

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am *loving* our Ridesteady. If there was any item on my wish list, it would be an option to turn off the various rider/event timers and then make the rest of the display typefaces slightly larger for these old eyes, but that is hardly a limiting factor. Thanks!

jaslaughter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll go ahead and add my quick kudos as well -- this thing is amazing. I don't hear the dissonance of the two engines being slightly (200~500rpm) off from each other now, which always drove me crazy since I have the play in the throttle but didn't want to take it apart (see https://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59905&start=15).

Speeds really do stay within 0.5~1mph on normal lake conditions, and not much more than that when it's a bit choppy. I haven't messed with all the settings yet, but the speed and rpm control are worth the price of entry to me. Great job Hydrophase!

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am *loving* our Ridesteady. If there was any item on my wish list, it would be an option to turn off the various rider/event timers and then make the rest of the display typefaces slightly larger for these old eyes, but that is hardly a limiting factor. Thanks!
Thanks for the kind words and feedback, @SantaFeTrailer !

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll go ahead and add my quick kudos as well -- this thing is amazing. I don't hear the dissonance of the two engines being slightly (200~500rpm) off from each other now, which always drove me crazy since I have the play in the throttle but didn't want to take it apart (see https://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59905&start=15).

Speeds really do stay within 0.5~1mph on normal lake conditions, and not much more than that when it's a bit choppy. I haven't messed with all the settings yet, but the speed and rpm control are worth the price of entry to me. Great job Hydrophase!
Thanks very much for relaying your experience, @jaslaughter ! It's great to hear that the electronic sync is making your ears a bit happier.

Way back in the day I was in band (played euphonium, for anyone who cares) so we were trained to be "in tune". It can drive me nuts hearing the dissonant, beating pitch difference without Ridesteady's electronic engine sync. And yes, even if the throttles shift a bit from vibration, Ridesteady will correct it.

Rooster585

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep the manual onboard in case I F**k things up!

Rooster585

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jas-
.5 to 1 MPH? That seems like quite a bit. Maybe you are in a bit more wind than I am. I see speeds variances .1 to .2 MPH, while surfing. A bit more while boarding and tubing

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Jas-
.5 to 1 MPH? That seems like quite a bit. Maybe you are in a bit more wind than I am. I see speeds variances .1 to .2 MPH, while surfing. A bit more while boarding and tubing
Mine seems to vary wildly like that. Not sure if there's a way to tighten that up.
I keep the manual onboard in case I F**k things up!
LOL! I'm still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of it. Downside is I'm normally with my family and don't have time to poke around as my wife is driving. Our season is over for now, unless I go out with the guys. Wife is 7 months preggo and dr says no more boat for her. So reckon i'll get back at it next season.