• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Interesting situation posted on face book

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A customer had their anchor break loose allowing their 2018 242 L S E to get beached , this unfortunate accident did destroy the rudder, since they had the steering and the second tie rod they were able to drive the boat back to the ramp, with no steering issues .

Attachments

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Oh... this should be good.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The second tie rod only kept the a/k from flopping on its own. The two factory steering cables got him back to the dock.
Sure thing.
The question though, would you want to ride with the AK flopping around, lol?
I never considered such scenario, I would think it be very ugly (and not a good idea) to have that thing thrashing under the swim deck?

As a side note, it does not seem to take much to break those AKs...

--

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would like to take it off to see if there is a noticeable difference running in shallow water that’s the first part to make contact at slower speeds from 8 to 19 mph, board sport speeds . Or if you are anchored and the tide goes out wake from a passing boat will make it hit the bottom . Even stepping off the boat it hits . All of my other boats had most hull impacts at that point not major but a little gel coat repair was needed over the years . This hangs down about 3” more than the older models

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The actual comment made on the post
"2018 242 LSE. Articulating keel snapped off in Destin last week. Was sand spiking in rear and box anchor off the front in that nice sugar sand. Dealer is replacing under warranty but I give the plastic keel 👎👎. Aluminum Cobra jet fins are still straight as an arrow. Anyone know of a metal alternative instead of the OEM part?"

And yes people in Canada who deal with large rocks have taken the rudder off and substituted the ultimate steering with excellent results so now that I make the SUPER Ultimate I would imagine it is even better for replacing the rudder . My A K steering is very carefully designed to avoid hanging low on the boat.. Also as some people have experienced when the rudder strikes the ground hard using the stock tie rod setup, it has been known to break the right side steering cable just in front of the nozzle arm at the threaded portion . I have also had a person contact me who broke the rudder and part of the keel on an oyster bar strike, I showed him where to trim the broken keel and had him install the Ultimate system with the mega fangs he had no interest in fixing the original rudder but he did want to add the fangs so he needed to go in and trim the broken portion of the rudder to allow for that.

Attachments

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure thing.
The question though, would you want to ride with the AK flopping around, lol?

--
Absolutley not! My point is if Jeff wants to promote his products, dont embellish the truth to the point that its a form of scare tactics.
Lets be truthful when pointing out how that or any particular boat made it back to the dock. Thats all
Did his product cause the boat less damage? Most likely yes
Would that particular boat have made it back without his product? Most definitely, yes

WildBillF1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Absolutley not! My point is if Jeff wants to promote his products, dont embellish the truth to the point that its a form of scare tactics.
Lets be truthful when pointing out how that or any particular boat made it back to the dock. Thats all
Would that particular boat have made it back without his product? Most definitely, yes
The Sham wow of rudders. :D
Sham wow

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm shocked that Yamaha is warrantying this. LOL at Cobra being the reason he got back to the dock. I wish my AK broke when it slammed down on some rocks, instead mine stayed in one piece and punched a hole in the bilge, lol.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He did, he did embellish it a little bit, I would say.
But not distorting the truth. That secondary rod does not have any cons, I think.

BTW - I'm also surprised Yamaha warrantied that AK, it seems so random how they approach claims, but that is great. The AK is made of some sort of alloy, I always wonder what it is?

--