• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Ionic Lithium dual purpose battery

yam18ar195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I know there is alot of discussion in regards to rather or not our Yamaha boats can handle a lithium battery, nonetheless I wanted to hear some feedback. I recently picked up a Ionic lithium dual purpose 100ah battery for a home project that is not going to happen. Just so happens my starter battery in my 2018 Ar195 is dead. What are everyone's thoughts on using this to replace my group 24 starter battery that is dead? These batteries claim to work fine in mercury outboards and many others all the way up to 250hp?

So I know there is alot of discussion in regards to rather or not our Yamaha boats can handle a lithium battery, nonetheless I wanted to hear some feedback. I recently picked up a Ionic lithium dual purpose 100ah battery for a home project that is not going to happen. Just so happens my starter battery in my 2018 Ar195 is dead. What are everyone's thoughts on using this to replace my group 24 starter battery that is dead? These batteries claim to work fine in mercury outboards and many others all the way up to 250hp?

Im assuming you have a single battery in your boat? If so it’ll probably work just fine. How many CCA’s is it rated for?

So it is rated for. 250 amps for 5 seconds

So it is rated for. 250 amps for 5 seconds

Should be enough …. Can you link which battery it is?
these seem like good batteries, the dealer where I have boat worked on is selling them, seems like they’re pretty packed with features.

these seem like good batteries, the dealer where I have boat worked on is selling them, seems like they’re pretty packed with features.

I've been considering these too. They have a 40ah that's billed as a dedicated starter battery and it has 1100 CCA and 1400 peak cranking amps for 3 seconds. Not sure what else (if anything) runs off the start battery other than the starter, but wonder if this would work. Seems like it has plenty of power to start the motors. They have a dual purpose that's 125ah with 1100 CCA, but that seems excessive for a start battery and it's nearly double the price.

Last edited:

So, I hooked it up and fired boat right up no problem. What's nice is the blue tooth app that monitors everything

Does that battery fit into the recessed opening the OEM battery goes in?

I've been considering these too. They have a 40ah that's billed as a dedicated starter battery and it has 1100 CCA and 1400 peak cranking amps for 3 seconds. Not sure what else (if anything) runs off the start battery other than the starter, but wonder if this would work. Seems like it has plenty of power to start the motors. They have a dual purpose that's 125ah with 1100 CCA, but that seems excessive for a start battery and it's nearly double the price.

Sorry for not responding sooner … I did not see your post.

Im not sure what Ah battery your boat came with but 40Ah seems on the light side of the Ah hour of things. If your boat came with a group 24 start battery I’d be using that same size which is probably a 75Ah LFP battery.

BUT!

Your boat came with two batteries a start and a house battery, which means it has a DVSR, and the higher resting voltage of the LFP battery will keep the DVSR closed, so you will need to modify the DVSR to use either a run hot ( the most desirable ) , an ignition hot, or on a rocker switch, I think on your boat the ignition is always on so you’ll have to go with the run hot or a rocker switch to energize / de energize the DVSR when the engines are running or off. The DVSR must not be active when the engines are off.

Sorry for not responding sooner … I did not see your post.

Im not sure what Ah battery your boat came with but 40Ah seems on the light side of the Ah hour of things. If your boat came with a group 24 start battery I’d be using that same size which is probably a 75Ah LFP battery.

BUT!

Your boat came with two batteries a start and a house battery, which means it has a DVSR, and the higher resting voltage of the LFP battery will keep the DVSR closed, so you will need to modify the DVSR to use either a run hot ( the most desirable ) , an ignition hot, or on a rocker switch, I think on your boat the ignition is always on so you’ll have to go with the run hot or a rocker switch to energize / de energize the DVSR when the engines are running or off. The DVSR must not be active when the engines are off.

Remember, I already did the "run hot" mod to the DVSR a couple months ago and it's been a dream. Yeah, my start battery is a 24 I believe and I kinda suspected a 40ah would be light, but at the same time what's actually running off the start battery? If nothing other than the starters then there would be no real practical difference between a 40ah and say a 75ah. How many Ah's does it take to start a battery a couple of times?

Remember, I already did the "run hot" mod to the DVSR a couple months ago and it's been a dream. Yeah, my start battery is a 24 I believe and I kinda suspected a 40ah would be light, but at the same time what's actually running off the start battery? If nothing other than the starters then there would be no real practical difference between a 40ah and say a 75ah. How many Ah's does it take to start a battery a couple of times?

I forgot you did the run hot.

It’s not the normal start that would concern me. While it’s only happening to me twice I’ve had the hard start after running it did take quite a bit to get the engines started. It’s one thing when there is not enough room for a larger battery like in a pwc but another on a larger water craft. I’m sure the smaller battery would work well. What’s the main reason to go with the smaller battery ?

The reference to PWC was mentioned. The Yamaha Waverunners batteries are 19aH from my recollection.

I forgot you did the run hot.

It’s not the normal start that would concern me. While it’s only happening to me twice I’ve had the hard start after running it did take quite a bit to get the engines started. It’s one thing when there is not enough room for a larger battery like in a pwc but another on a larger water craft. I’m sure the smaller battery would work well. What’s the main reason to go with the smaller battery ?

I've had mine take a little longer to start once or twice as well--that's a good point. I was trying to be cheap lol, since I've already dropped like $10k in audio. I'll just go with the bigger battery, it obviously won't hurt. Thanks Dale.

I've had mine take a little longer to start once or twice as well--that's a good point. I was trying to be cheap lol, since I've already dropped like $10k in audio. I'll just go with the bigger battery, it obviously won't hurt. Thanks Dale.
Glad I could help out!

Get out there and burn some fuel!

Back