• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

It finally happened.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A few days ago, we decided that we wanted to do a brief camping trip as a family before school starts, since we've been stationary at home for a good chunk of the summer.

This is the first time we've considered camping near the ocean, and we thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to bring our dinghy to do some exploring. To do that, I needed to haul it out at our town's launch, a few miles down the coast.

Now, before I go any further, I'd like to point out that the previous evening, I was commenting to the Admiral that the dinghy's 9.9HP Tohatsu is amazingly fuel efficient, and seems to only need one 3 gallon tank per season. I'm sure you already know where this is going.

I head out in 2-3 foot waves, trying to make a beeline for the ramp and beat the Admiral. About 3/4 of the way there, the engine sputters. No matter, just make sure the tank is level and give it some gas. That worked for about 15 seconds and the engine gave up.

Fortunately, I was offshore from a summer camp and the campers+staff were having some event on the shore. One of the staffers saw me struggling to row toward them and shouted that they'd be hauling me in. A few minutes later, 2 of the counselors were in a beat up dinghy of their own on their way to haul me in.

10 minutes and some good chatting later, the camp topped up my small tank and sent me on my way.

I'm immensely grateful for the help of others, and it was somewhat humbling to receive help after providing help/rescue to many others over the years we've lived on the water.

Now, before I go any further, I'd like to point out that the previous evening, I was commenting to the Admiral that the dinghy's 9.9HP Tohatsu is amazingly fuel efficient, and seems to only need one 3 gallon tank per season. I'm sure you already know where this is going.
This 100% caused this situation. What were you thinking!

This 100% caused this situation. What were you thinking!
I am VERY good at saying things out loud that should be unsaid.

Did you start off with a full tank?

DOH! LOL you won’t do that again.

Probably not. I definitely treat that boat as a glorified canoe, I’m stepping up my game.

@Quad , I ran out of gas for the first time ever in my boat just a few weeks ago. I’ve been boating for over 30 years. Chalk it up to “S happens, usually when it’s least expected to.” The lessons I got out of it are:
1. When it doubt buy gas, not just enough to get by, fill the tank and the filler tube/hose.
2. Tow boat U.S. works on the water as well as on land.
3. If I’m ever in the same situation, call my son first as he made it to me before tow boat did.
4. As a member of tow boatU.S. they were going to charge me a minimum of $60 for 5 gallons of fuel ($12 per gallon) not sure what they charge non members but I plan to continue with them as a member for as long as I’m boating and as long as they are willing to keep me as a customer.

Last edited:
Back