• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

It's ski season

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
driving myself crazy hunting boots . High instep , 104mm, 100 to 110. stiffness and width and the type of skier. Maybe its time for a bootfitter.
I bought a pair of off the shelf Salomons that were on sale a few years ago from Sun and Ski Sports. The guy that was helping me grabbed a few pairs of sole inserts and we test fitted every pair to check comfort and feel. I did not realize but as we get older our feet pronate, which means our arched get flatter and therefore your feet get somewhat longer. By increasing the arch support you reverse that pronation. The arches I picked are a little too big but I like the feel. The reason I know they are too big is my feet will hurt for the first few runs in the morning but then my feet get use to the arch.

The key thing that my guy did was once we found the right arch support he put the boots in an oven for 15-30 minutes, got them nice and hot, then I put them on and wrenched them down. I had to stand in the store with ski boots on for 30 minutes feeling like an idiot, but I gotta say, my boots feel like slippers now when I ski. If I'm doing blue groomers I keep them fairly loose, so I can barely tell I have ski boots on. If I get into steep powder or bumps then I just wrench them down and hit it, then loosen on the lift ride back up.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a pair of off the shelf Salomons that were on sale a few years ago from Sun and Ski Sports. The guy that was helping me grabbed a few pairs of sole inserts and we test fitted every pair to check comfort and feel. I did not realize but as we get older our feet pronate, which means our arched get flatter and therefore your feet get somewhat longer. By increasing the arch support you reverse that pronation. The arches I picked are a little too big but I like the feel. The reason I know they are too big is my feet will hurt for the first few runs in the morning but then my feet get use to the arch.

The key thing that my guy did was once we found the right arch support he put the boots in an oven for 15-30 minutes, got them nice and hot, then I put them on and wrenched them down. I had to stand in the store with ski boots on for 30 minutes feeling like an idiot, but I gotta say, my boots feel like slippers now when I ski. If I'm doing blue groomers I keep them fairly loose, so I can barely tell I have ski boots on. If I get into steep powder or bumps then I just wrench them down and hit it, then loosen on the lift ride back up.
I did the same on my Salomon at Sun and ski. Paid less than 100 for a pair when it was 105 degrees out back in 03. This time I researched it to death. Measured my foot length width and arch. Chose my boot off recommendations from a bootfitter. I have an appointment with the boot fitter before my first day of skiing in Breck in December. I am pretty excited about this season. Everything is looking like a early season from the forecasts. My 30 day goal is attainable this year. I now have 4 sets of skis for all conditions. I am ready. I am most excited about my daddy daughter trip to purgatory. My middle daughter loves skiing as much as I do. She has a goal of 6 days. Which all 6 are booked

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would never buy boots off the internet unless you tried them on at a ski shop and then was shopping price. I would buy them from a ski shop that has a good boot fitter and has the capability of creating custom foot beds if needed. I spent hours finding the right boot and getting the right fit and when my liners started to pack out I went back to the ski shop where I bought them and they did a refit at no cost.

I am really considering these boots, they are supposed to be as comfortable as a snow boot, but they are pricy.
https://www.apexskiboots.com/

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would never buy boots off the internet unless you tried them on at a ski shop and then was shopping price. I would buy them from a ski shop that has a good boot fitter and has the capability of creating custom foot beds if needed. I spent hours finding the right boot and getting the right fit and when my liners started to pack out I went back to the ski shop where I bought them and they did a refit at no cost.

I am really considering these boots, they are supposed to be as comfortable as a snow boot, but they are pricy.
https://www.apexskiboots.com/
I agree now. I skied for years in pain. My boot hunt was with the help of a boot fitter and measurements. Using that info with the fitter, I have a great boot with the anticipation of the fitter making the adjustments.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We had our first trip of the year over new years. The boots were awesome , the snow was thin in places at monarch with a 29 " base. It was about 55 percent open but had a blast. Going to be skiing every other weekend until March.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We had our first trip of the year over new years. The boots were awesome , the snow was thin in places at monarch with a 29 " base. It was about 55 percent open but had a blast. Going to be skiing every other weekend until March.
We've been lucky here in PA, our resorts where we ski opened day after thanksgiving and are about 90% open now we skied last sat and it snowed all day and had a foot when it was all done. The problem I'm having now is that it's damn cold out, a customer of mine wanted me to ski with him tomorrow but I declined because the wind chill is supposed to be 25 below zero, I don't have enough clothing for that kind of temp.

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For all you New England skiers, which is better in Vermont, Killington or Jay Peak? I am going to Mass in a few weeks for work and since moving to Miami the only thing I miss from California is Tahoe skiing. So gonna get my fix and I wanted to know if its worth the extra 150 or so miles to go to Jay Peak vs. Killington... thanks.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For all you New England skiers, which is better in Vermont, Killington or Jay Peak? I am going to Mass in a few weeks for work and since moving to Miami the only thing I miss from California is Tahoe skiing. So gonna get my fix and I wanted to know if its worth the extra 150 or so miles to go to Jay Peak vs. Killington... thanks.
So different!
I say Jay Peak any day, best snow in NE - usually - especially towards the beginning and the end of the season. Killington is just huge, it has a chair couple miles long just to traverse a bear breeding area, kind of insane. I love it, too, but it is more touristy, I would not want to be there during a school break. Jay Peak is different - hear more French than English and it has a bit of a feel of a chateaux in the Alps.
Jay Peak is just fabulous. The views of the Adirondacks are spectacular, and snow is the kind of powder you don't usually find on the east coast, it is almost like Snow Bird, UT. I have not been there in several years, but hear that the place keeps developing real nice.

Right now, I would consider the weather foremost.

--

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @swatski, I have skied Snowbird many years ago (and once again two years ago at the very last day of the season lol) so if Jay Peak can rival the powder that it dumps like in the west then I will be heading there!!!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Wr3ckdiver Killington is big, a lot of skiers coming up from the south, stop there. It is about an hour and a half south of me. I am just north of Burlington and about an hour south of Jay Peak. I have skied Jay a bunch of times although we usually ski closer mountains, Smugglers Notch, Stowe or Bolton Valley for night skiing. I have not yet skied Killington. Jay has the highest natural snowfall of any resort in Vermont, plus snow making. Jay has grown quite a bit lately and added an indoor water park which might be beneficial after a day on the slopes. And Jay also has a tram to the top of the mountain. Good luck, they are both good Resorts and many in between. Like @swatski said above, more French spoken up there due to its close proximity to Montreal, Quebec a snowball's throw away.

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We've been lucky here in PA, our resorts where we ski opened day after thanksgiving and are about 90% open now we skied last sat and it snowed all day and had a foot when it was all done. The problem I'm having now is that it's damn cold out, a customer of mine wanted me to ski with him tomorrow but I declined because the wind chill is supposed to be 25 below zero, I don't have enough clothing for that kind of temp.
Yeah I have seen your temps. Our 1 st day it was 34 and slushy by mid day. I took core shots on 2 different skis.

Attachments

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Killington is a fun place to spend 5 days. But don't call it snow skiing in the east; call it ice skiing, for the most part. But you get used to it. In fact I'm so used to it I can ski powder!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So different!
I say Jay Peak any day, best snow in NE - usually - especially towards the beginning and the end of the season. Killington is just huge, it has a chair couple miles long just to traverse a bear breeding area, kind of insane. I love it, too, but it is more touristy, I would not want to be there during a school break. Jay Peak is different - hear more French than English and it has a bit of a feel of a chateaux in the Alps.
Jay Peak is just fabulous. The views of the Adirondacks are spectacular, and snow is the kind of powder you don't usually find on the east coast, it is almost like Snow Bird, UT. I have not been there in several years, but hear that the place keeps developing real nice.

Right now, I would consider the weather foremost.

--
@swatski like snowbird/ Alta. I'm curious we did 5 days there last year. Maybe we make a run there in Feb this year. Got some miles to burn.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When searching for boots beware of intolution liners. If you have vascular feet they hug the feet too closely and cut off circulation. Feel great while fitting but turned into seasons of frozen feet for me and my wife. We chose poorly. Cam

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welp we had 111 degree today and just booked our condo for spring break.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just booked 2 days at Taos for my daughter and I. Dec 16. Hopefully they get dumped on between now and then!!!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One of the 3 local ski resorts we ski will be open Friday, I was hoping that the resort where we bought our townhome at would be open too, but they haven't announced anything yet.

7springs.jpg

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just scored this sweet pair of K2 AMP Rictor skis complete with Marker bindings off Ebay for......$80! The dude lives 20 miles away so I am picking them up Saturday so no shipping either! Man what a lucky day. I demo'd these skis a few years ago and they were always my favorite pair of skis. I usually don't buy skis but this was too sweet to pass up. Heck I saved $20 by buying them because I just cancelled my ski package rental from Taos for my upcoming trip.s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just scored this sweet pair of K2 AMP Rictor skis complete with Marker bindings off Ebay for......$80! The dude lives 20 miles away so I am picking them up Saturday so no shipping either! Man what a lucky day. I demo'd these skis a few years ago and they were always my favorite pair of skis. I usually don't buy skis but this was too sweet to pass up. Heck I saved $20 by buying them because I just cancelled my ski package rental from Taos for my upcoming trip.View attachment 85606 View attachment 85607
Those are a great all mountain all condition ski. Owned a pair myself and loved them. There were so many of them on the racks when I got mine that I took off the metal nose caps to make mine different. Not as great in powder as as the fatter skis but boy they were great on hard pack steeps and ice making tight turns or gs at high speed. Just make sure to load the outer ski when going fast or it will wiggle as stiff as they are. Not what I would call a laid back ski at all.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just scored this sweet pair of K2 AMP Rictor skis complete with Marker bindings off Ebay for......$80! The dude lives 20 miles away so I am picking them up Saturday so no shipping either! Man what a lucky day. I demo'd these skis a few years ago and they were always my favorite pair of skis. I usually don't buy skis but this was too sweet to pass up. Heck I saved $20 by buying them because I just cancelled my ski package rental from Taos for my upcoming trip.View attachment 85606 View attachment 85607
Wow the bases look like they have not been skied. Nice score