• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Summit Series ----- Seized Engine

Team Bristow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know how comforting any of us can be but here is my 2cents. We bought a GMC Terrain in 2010 (first model year) and it started acting up pretty quick. The engine sounded rough and we were short oil at every oil change. Dealer looked at it several times but couldn't find anything wrong. Fast forward a couple of years and we have moved and have a new dealer. The new shop took the issue more seriously and have several months of oil consumption checks they determined that we needed a new engine. We had it replaced with 99,997 miles on it. I had to call the dealer because I was unsure that I could drive it there and not roll 100K. The replaced the entire engine over a few days and we have not had an issue since. The car has run like a champ. Big props to the local GM dealership, the knew their stuff.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. Actually, I don't really need comfort. I am sharing the information on this, Beechtalk, and the Jeep forum to see if there is more information out there and share my experience with others and with Jeep corporate who is paying attention on the Jeep forum.

Eric

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn!! I was thinking of replacing my Ram 5.9 with one of those

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Scot,

I can't remember where I left off. The main bearing disintegrated, which caused the engine to seize. I am currently awaiting all of the parts to arrive for the fix. It needs a new engine (whole thing, not short or long block). The fuel lines, oil cooler, and many other ancillary parts are one time use and must also be replaced. These parts are trickling in to the dealer...

I am still working with Jeep of NA to develop a resolution that will restore my faith in their products again...

Eric

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So it's officially been one month since the engine seized on my 2014 GC Diesel Summit at just over 17,000 miles.

We are still waiting on some parts that have supposed to "been here any day" for the new engine installation. The dealer has become as frustrated as I with the pace of this.

I keep getting calls from the Jeep Resolution team, but they have offered no resolution. Just more "listening."

I am getting more up to date information from the dealer than Jeep.

Eric

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Time to lawyer up or at least demand resolution in 7 days (i.e. New vehicle). Part of warranty is the right to a timely repair. Hopefully they have given you a loaner during the wait.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The dealer has been good to me. I have had a loaner the whole time.

Jeep/Chrysler? So far all they've done is call me over and over to tell me they are sorry.

Eric

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my customer who I mentioned earlier and loved his unfortunately had trouble also, at 1 year and 40k miles it stalled out, they found metal shavings in the fuel pump, after 3 weeks and the dealership not being able to diagnose it corporate finally got involved and told them it was a common problem (although they hadn't issued at service bulletin on it yet) another 3 weeks to replace the whole fuel system. 100 miles later with a strong diesel smell inside it stalled again, they said it was a bad injector, another 50 miles smoking and still with a strong smell it died again, another fuel injector, 100 miles later it's running rough again so he takes it to the dealer where it's been for another 3 weeks with no ideas what's wrong,

He's really pissed, now with 4 reports that will show on carfax his value is going to drop like a rock, the dealership has already told him they won't take it in as trade and FCA just waits, He's had his lawyers file papers on it but what a mess,

On another note I just found out my neighbor has a '14 1500 with 30k mi and other than the normal service bulletins he loves his.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also have a friend with a 14 with 40 plus on it and they have had no issues.... it is interesting that these engines are having issues when they are a proven engine with 100,000 of thousands of miles over aeas. I wonder if they were required to change the motors some to get them I. The us. Also is this the same diesel engine they put in the ram?

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes it's the same motor in the Ram as the GC. There's rumor that they might put it in the Wrangler too sometime soon.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This was suggested earlier but maybe you can trade in yours for a new one. Then the dealer handles the waiting. We have the Cherokee limited 4x4 as well but I got the Mercedes v6 engine. My wife loves the car and other than a few recalls no issues at 50K.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trading it in for new isn't a bad option but it would likely cost me 10-15K. I am not interested in spending that.

Eric

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was just about to test drive one of these. I guess Ill pass and stick to my Tundra. Sorry for all of the issues, and I hope for a speedy resolution.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mike,

I don't know what to say. The forums that I am participating on and discussing the seizure seem to indicate that I am the only one with a problem. The dealership is telling me otherwise.

The positives of the experience have been no-nonsense from the dealer. Very polite and constantly keeping me updated. Also offered loaner for the whole down time. Also, Jeep of NA has been in contact with me. Very polite also. Good listeners and trained to apologize a lot.

The negative, aside from the obvious, is that my faith in this car and brand are shot. The "resolution team" has contacted me for some sort of possible resolution, but won't discuss it until the car is fixed. They keep apologizing and telling me that the car will be better than new. My position is that if it is better than new, restore my faith in the product with a lifetime B2B warranty.

E

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So close, but yet so far away....

The missing and delayed parts finally arrived last week. The engine was reinstalled and finished yesterday. The service manager and I agreed that they should keep the car for a few days extra to do a few cold starts and short test drives....

This morning, after a cold start, the high-pressure pump seized. This was a part that was not replaced during this repair process. Now we are looking at another complication and delay. Apparently, according to the service manager, they caught it before the new engine was damaged.

This is an example of why my faith in this car will never be as strong as it was before this incident.

What other time-bombs are waiting to blow inside this engine? What bolt wasn't torqued properly that will cause some sort of problem down the road?

Despite assurances that the service department is highly trained and capable (which I believe), a field engine replacement is a major undertaking and a burden that I and others with the same problem will have to live with.

What is Jeep going to do to relieve this burden?

Eric

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
If your vehicle has bee down for more then 30 days(which is consider past a reasonable time), even being a 2nd owner, you are within the
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act:

Under a full warranty, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with the written warranty, the warrantor:

• can remedy the consumer product within a reasonable time and without charge;
  • may not impose any limitation on the duration of any implied warranty on the product;
  • may not exclude or limit consequential damages for a breach of any written or implied warranty on the product, unless the exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty; and
  • if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts.
In addition, the warrantor may not impose any duty, other than notification, upon any consumer, as a condition of securing the repair of any consumer product that malfunctions, is defective, or does not conform to the written warranty. However, the warrantor may require consumers to return a defective item to its place of purchase for repair.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the big day came! I got a call on Friday from the dealer that the car was ready! They informed me that they had replaced the bad pump, driven the car for a day or two, and it was ready to go!

I picked it up yesterday morning on the way home from work.

The car made it about 10 miles from the dealer and it happened...

I was on the highway, doing about 60, when I pushed the accelerator to pass some cars. The engine made a big boom! It was so loud, the person that I was on the phone with (hands-free) heard it. Then the engine shuddered and the car decelerated to about 40mph. It wouldn't go any faster. After conferring with the dealer, I was able to limp back to their shop. The car stalled twice on the way there....

Speechless, but I predicted that this car would not ever be reliable again. So far, no one at Chrysler has been willing to have a serious conversation with me about the future of this car or how to make this right...

My attorney has been apprised from day one and is now jumping in with both feet...

Eric

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just have not heard of any of the big manufacturers making something so undependable. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I don't know what they could do to make me happy. Hopefully they come up with a creative solution for you.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Eric, I am never one to feel I should get something for nothing, even though I am human and "wish" I could. This is just not the case here, and I think you have had 3 or more related issues on this now and been without your car for a long period of time. I would think that the lemon laws would be fully in play at this point as someone mentioned previously. I thought you might be "expecting" a little too much previously wanting them to somehow erase any doubt you might have had, once the car was repaired. But after this, what was I thinking? You are certainly entitled to be relieved of the agony this product has delivered to you. How that happens short of buying the car back from you is beyond me. Any offer of them to sell you a new one at even a drastically reduced price won't restore your faith in their product. Just reading your words, I don't know how the company could ever expect your loyalty or you as a customer again, let alone a satisfied customer. All that I have read from your posts indicates to me that Jeep has gone to great lengths for a car company, to try and make you whole, as well as your dealership. Hopefully, you will be done with this soon. My fear is that with the legal entanglement it may take to get to a settlement, you take may not make you whole either. But we will all be pulling for you and hoping for a successful outcome.