• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Summit Series ----- Seized Engine

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree on the something for nothing argument. I am not a litigious person and hate entitlement mentalities. Shit happens and things break. Legally, Chrysler has (at least initially) met their obligation by providing a warranty repair. Working with my attorney (I don't actually "have" an attorney, but a lawyer friend who volunteered to step in) it appears that there may be more at play legally after the continued problems.

Based on my experience in other fields, aviation (like you), and with other cars I predicted that I would end up in this position and started advocating early for a more robust solution.

I am not sure what would be a successful outcome at this point. A new car for free? Sure! But I am a realist and don't believe that this will happen. Even if they buy back my car, at my cost and then give me the deal of the century on a new one I will be thousands out of pocket. I am tired of being patient and will let "my attorney" take it from here.

I truly do like the car, but I may need to get past those emotions and try another brand when this is all resolved.

Part of the reason I am posting this is to warn others and part is to get different ideas on how to solve. This and other forums have been quite helpful with both....

Eric

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My brother in law had a dodge minivan with transmission problems, multiple problems, several times. I think they gave him a lifetime warranty to help him resolve doubts n the future.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the story has reached a conclusion!

About the time that I got the car back from the engine change and subsequent returns for related problems, the Chrysler Resolution Team called and offered a manufacturer re-purchase of the vehicle.

After discussion with my attorney, who had been monitoring the progress of this ordeal, we agreed to take it.

The short story is this:

1) It takes several weeks to complete the buyback process. There were long breaks between each communication and each step of the process.
2) It is outsourced to a company called Impartial Service Group.
3) There is little room for negotiation, but they do reimburse everything that you have in the car, including accessories, minus a mileage adjustment and damage.
4) The process, while lengthy was painless.

In the mean-time, I purchased a brand new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Diesel from Russ-Darrow in Milwaukee. Yesterday, at 750 miles, the check engine light came on. Apparently, there is a TSB that refreshed some software to cure the problem. We will see!

Eric

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a bran new 2011 dodge charger for work... it was revived at the end of 2010.. the 2011 charger was a complete redesign of the entire car. I had to take mine in at 700 miles for a check engine light .. it was simply a computer update... I took it in for the same thing about 2 more.times by 5000 miles. Each time it was a software update which was completed while I stood with the car in the dealers shop.. (long story) while talking to the tech he said the new car model like mine are coming out with more basic software.. that have a planned check engine light every so often to upgrade the computer.. once the models have some age on them this is worked in at the factory. After about 3 quick trips mine was set.. it wad the very beginning of a new vehicle line so I really didn't mind. If it were my personal car it would be annoying but it only lasted a short time.

Pfftt.. computers!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Actually dropped my ecodiesel off yesterday for a very small oil leak. Just shy of 9K miles. Don't figure it's anything crazy, but I've read about enough of the 14's ED engine problems, that I'm gonna make sure I'm pretty proactive with it and not mod the engine at all until the warranty is up. If I'm still on the first engine at that time, I'll probably trade it in on a new one. She's been treating me very well, but I'm not a gambling man either.

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Bronze.
Sorry to hear about your problems, but in the end I am glad you managed a resolution.
I own an ecodiesel I purchased about 8 months ago and so far I clocked about 11.5k trouble free miles. (knock on wood...) In any case, from reading up on the ram forums I am well aware of the "gremlins" that can show up on these vehicles so I am reluctant to push my luck past the 5y or 100k miles powertrain warranty they come with. At this point I just hope it get me there.