• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Boat...would you do it again?

Steve-O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Scarab 255 Open ID. I have some reservations about jet boats in general, and Rotax motors in particular. For those who own Scarabs/Rotax, would you do it again? Salt water use only. Thanks in advance, this group is the best!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't own those so i can't answer,
But can i ask what your reservations are?

Steve-O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Well Scott, the new Scarab is pretty much a start-up company and have only been around a few years. From my reading on this forum, quality control has been seriously lacking. Rotax has been around a good while but reliability seems to go to Yamaha. Just my final bit of worrying and fretting before putting down a lot of money, so...would you do it again?

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
For the money you’re about to spend on a Scarab, you can get an honest to goodness outboard center console that would do everything the Scarab does PLUS go offshore. For my money, any more than what I spent on the 210 I’d be shopping Robalo, Sea Hunt, maybe Nauticstar. For Scarab money I’d be looking at maybe a Scout, Cobia, Pursuit.

Sounds like I’m bashing my boat choice, which I’m not. For $40,000 I got a nice 21’ boat that does 90% of what I want to do with ease. But I live hours from the coast. If I lived closer or on it, outboard all the way.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is the salt water that you'll be in shallow? Does it have much vegetation? If it is clean and shallow, the jet may make sense. If it has much vegetation, I'd personally stay away from a jet, particularly one without cleanout ports.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love my yamaha... sorry no scarab experiences but they make a good looking boat.

If I only boated in salt water I'd have a center console with an outboard.

I've taken my 23ft to keys and along GA and ac coast... I have another trip planned to keys and to schedule coast already for 2020.

My main weekly boating is on lake Lanier so it makes sense for the majority of what I do with my family now.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are plenty who own jet boats and use 100% in salt though. If it fits your needs and you like design/price go for it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These are probably the most versatile open bow boats that there are for family use. Not having to worry about hitting a prop while hanging out at a sand bar is simply awesome. These boats are also easy to trailer.

Scarab jet boats have had their share of problems early on in 2014 but it seems they fixed most of the issues. The new ACE motors are pretty amazing.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I had a Scarab 165 and went to a Yamaha so I have experiences with both. I think they are both great and they both have their positives and negatives. I would definitely do either again. For Rotax the slow speed maneuvering and reverse is by far much better than the Yamaha and it’s not not even close, even with the thrust vectors installed on the Yamaha. You don’t really need any mods to the pumps on Rotax engines unlike Yamaha. Honestly they are both great but Yamaha you definitely need mods to get the steering. Some of this they improved in the 2019 and later models.

For Yamaha I feel the finish and overall layout and build quality was better, also just seemed better thought out overall but no major complaints on either. I only swapped because I wanted a bigger size and Yamaha had a faster engine at the time.

Last edited:

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I only boat in salt water, and I have not had any problems with corrosion or weeds. I was looking at Scout's SF195 at the same time as my purchase of the Yamaha. The apples to apples Scout would have been more than 10K (1/3 more - Scout had the same deals reflected in the above add at the time) more than the Yamaha, and it still would not have had some of the features (such as the large changing/storage area console and the swim platform versus the outboard motor) of the Yamaha.

With all that said, I might have chosen the Scout if the price had been the same. Based on my limited knowledge of Scarab pricing, I would look at a Scout or similar boat.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We boat almost all salt water or brackish water. Have had no issues with weeds or corrosion. Boat is easy to launch/retrieve and trailer. Maintenance is minimal, so at this point after one season I have no complaints and would say yes I would do it again.

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Scarab looks like a beautiful boat , but , the Rotax BRP driveline (carbon seal) is a known weak point in the PWC industry ..i had a Sea Doo PWC sink because of the carbon seal failing ...then depending on where you boat im not sure how you clear out any debris stuck in the impeller area while on the water in the Scarab ..Yamaha has the easy access ports on the swim platform and there are days where im cleaning out seaweed 3x ..i just bought my 2 nd Yamaha jet boat and for me it works perfectly for where i boat , (shallow water , not real rough ) So to answer your question , Yes i would do it again and i did ...Salt water use only also

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If we're talking about BRP then I can chime in too. Having had the SZ192 and now the Chaparral (back to back jet boats), yes I'd do it again. I like both. If I had to choose as a favorite it would be Chap. It's just roomier, more power and just love the fit and finish. Good luck!!!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't know anything about Scarab, but I'd buy mine again in a heartbeat. If I were only in saltwater though, I'd have a center/dual console boat with twin outboards for sure.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Scvo

Did prices really go down 20% ? no prices go down. lol
I think Scout just lowered the MSRP, less room on negotiation but appear cheaper on the outset.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I don't know anything about Scarab, but I'd buy mine again in a heartbeat. If I were only in saltwater though, I'd have a center/dual console boat with twin outboards for sure.
Are you saying that because you'd be going (way) offshore to fish? Salt water should not be a factor here.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you saying that because you'd be going (way) offshore to fish? Salt water should not be a factor here.
That's why I would have center because many trips would be 30-50+miles off shore to fish

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were originally looking at a single jet Yamaha, but ended up with a twin. I'd do it again, and the only difference would be to start with a twin engine. This forum is also one of THE main factors in my stating this - it's like an addendum to the owner's manual that's invaluable to the whole experience.