• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce I spoke to Capital One before last yrs trip about what to do in the event of fraud protection shutting off card. If you call them any time & let them know what dates you'll be traveling, they'll aid in not shutting card off.
I agree that you can get cards preauthorized for Bahamian travel and sometimes it works. Personally I do not want to deal with the hassle.

$150 for customs is only good for up to 3, each person above 3 is $25.
$250 for dock master, not sure what this is for. My experience dock masters and dock hands would prefer or at least very happy with a 12 pack of beer as a tip since beer is so expensive in Bimini.
This year the condo rentals are handled by the reservation staff in Fort Lauderdale. They are prepaid. Technically we all should have already paid for our entire rental. I believe that many of us have not.

Unfortunately the slip rental is handled by the marina staff in Bimini. We will need to pay for slips after arrival. It is likely that we can pay by card but safest to have the cash.

$150 for customs
$250? for dock master
$500-1,000 for everything else?

I thought we had to pay the dockmaster for our slip when we arrive? The $250 came from $50/night for 5 nights.

Chase has told me that they do not charge an international fee on my card. Capital One has told me two different stories, so I'm not sure if they do or not...
We do pay the dock master when we arrive. It will be no more than $250 + 15% tax ($287.50) but will hopefully be less.

I know that Blue Water accepts plastic for fuel. Bimini Sands has in the past and should this year. Paying cash for fuel will save you time and might save money.

All but the largest eating establishments will be cash only. Transportation such as the busses that run around South Bimini and golf carts will be cash only. Most shops are cash only.

If you might want to spend it on the island I recommend bringing it in cash. They prefer US dollars to Bahamian. The value is the same.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I thought we had to pay the dockmaster for our slip when we arrive? The $250 came from $50/night for 5 nights.

Chase has told me that they do not charge an international fee on my card. Capital One has told me two different stories, so I'm not sure if they do or not...
They didn't charge me any fees. I agree with @Bruce that cash is king over there, but that card made me alot less nervous than that cash in my pocket.

Someone hacks your card = hassle of getting a new one.

Someone hacks your pocket = gone forever.

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Please keep in mind that although the card issuer (chase in this case) will not charge you a foreign transaction fee, it does not mean that you will get a "fair" exchange rate. ie you might get 1 Bahamian dollar for 1 US dollar at the bank, but on credit in might be 1.05.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I have started doing the Bahamas trips the cards I have used on these trips have all been hacked and tried to be used for fraudulent charges. I'm not saying this is necessarily the cause but i highly suspect it is as almost every time I have had to send a credit card form to what probably not a very secure email or fax one over for anyone on the other end of the fax to see. I still have no issues using a credit card while in the Bahamas but I do monitor the card for a while after I'm back and no way I would use a debit card over there. Its one thing to put a credit card on hold its a whole different issue to have a $1000 charge against your checking account as your bank will then put your funds on hold till the charges can be verified as fraud.

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Last year when I made my reservation with the sands with my debit card I was charged a fee by Chase (and I work for them and I should know better) It depends on your CREDIT card as to the fees
I'm not sure about other banks but chase charges when using your debit card over there.
Chase does offer no transaction fee credit cards and I'm sure there are other ones out there that are the same.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since I have started doing the Bahamas trips the cards I have used on these trips have all been hacked and tried to be used for fraudulent charges.
I wonder what is the common denominator here! LOL

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Since I have started doing the Bahamas trips the cards I have used on these trips have all been hacked and tried to be used for fraudulent charges. I'm not saying this is necessarily the cause but i highly suspect it is as almost every time I have had to send a credit card form to what probably not a very secure email or fax one over for anyone on the other end of the fax to see. I still have no issues using a credit card while in the Bahamas but I do monitor the card for a while after I'm back and no way I would use a debit card over there. Its one thing to put a credit card on hold its a whole different issue to have a $1000 charge against your checking account as your bank will then put your funds on hold till the charges can be verified as fraud.

I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper for my card to get hacked then to give my wife a bunch of cash. They would probably spend less on my card.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Quick question guys... I have a Garmin EchmoMap74dv. Is there a way to install all the pre-defined routes into the GPS of the places we plan to visit ? Can anyone share the routes info? Being a newbie It will make it easier for us to follow specific routes in case anyone falls back during the trip for the duration of the trip. I checked the FAQ and did not find any tips on how we can do this .

Cheers
Amar

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Quick question guys... I have a Garmin EchmoMap74dv. Is there a way to install all the pre-defined routes into the GPS of the places we plan to visit ? Can anyone share the routes info? Being a newbie It will make it easier for us to follow specific routes in case anyone falls back during the trip for the duration of the trip. I checked the FAQ and did not find any tips on how we can do this .

Cheers
Amar
@Bill D ? I think has same chartplotter

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can install preset points through the Homeport software, which is free to download from Garmin's website. You'll need to have your SD card with the maps in the computer to add waypoints and routes.

For routing specific courses, it's easiest to have Navionics auto-route the course and then import it into the Homeport software and onto your maps card. Robert843 lays out good instructions. https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-to-plot-with-my-chartplotter.9639/#post-165595

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The above link should be in FAQ as every boater worth his salt will buy a gps and then scratch their head :)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Cheers
Amar
I added 2 destination on my Garmin;
1. Bimini Sands
2. Port Everglades

The fun places, I just added them to my InReach. But for the most part, I will just follow (up to 40% of fuel capacity) whoever is leading the group .

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Things like that thread make the bookmark feature one of my favs. :winkingthumbsup"

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As a founding member of the Bimini Fling and having made all previous trips or at least an appearance during the trip (2016), the 2017 trip will be the first trip Cindy and I will unfortunately miss. There are too many vacations which includes Shelbyville and not enough time or money.

For the 2017 Bimini trip, I'm hoping the seas are calm, the weather is ideal, and the fuel in Bimini is plentiful.
Not that im going. But I am veey excited for you all.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
#yamahabimini #yamahamoments used by Yamaha Boats

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
One more never ending question guys... Do I purchase a Garmin InReahc explorer or just rent a EPIRB or PLB device ? If a PLB device do I need to get 1 for each of my family members? Thanks.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If you want communication capability then get an INREACH. If not get a PLB. You can take it with you when you are on other boats, vs EPIRB stays with the boat.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I purchased an Inreach, but I think the rental route is a good way to go if you don't think you'll have a use for one after the trip. I would only get one and in the event of an emergency keep everyone with the boat / together.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One more never ending question guys... Do I purchase a Garmin InReahc explorer or just rent a EPIRB or PLB device ? If a PLB device do I need to get 1 for each of my family members? Thanks.
I had the same dilemma. I decided to buy the Inreach, so my family can track me and I can text back and forth if I need too. My wife also wants to share the link with some "friends".
The critical factor for me was: if something where to happen and I dont make it to Bimini, the last thing I want is my family to board the 3pm flight to Bimini while I am drifting towards Iceland.