• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

1948Isaac

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It sure was. I wish we were able to find out what the big fish you fought for 30 minutes was before it broke free.
I know, I think maybe was a shark. Who knows, one of the reasons was the crappy fishing poles i had, plus 2 of them broke..lol but this year i am ready.. i got new heavy duty penn fishing poles, i know you bought new fishing poles as well after we arrive back from exumas @Andy S

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I would love to go fishing with someone that has a clue. All we really get around here is bluegill or catfish. Either way, my fishing poles are very much under rated.
I have gone fishing probably twice in my life but love the fish as dinner!

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hope that @Ramblin Wreck will be up to the challenge this year to go fishing at night time
I will certainly be down this year! If I can't catch anything, my job will be to find the local selling out of season lobster and buy us a fresh dinner haha. When I hit that super cold air conditioned room after 200+ mile return from Staniel Cay last year, I was literally worthless for 24 hours.

@1948Isaac we'll have some more opportunities to work on @Andy S & @robert843 ;)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@1948Isaac, @ClemsonTiger I know you guys have your sights set on trophy fish but I am planning to take a day trip down to Tuna Alley to chum the waters and catch reef fish faster than we can bait the hooks.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I plan on doing some fishing again this year as well. Hopefully the fish will cooperate !

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ClemsonTiger, this is some of our 2015 catch from Tuna Alley.

image.jpg image-1.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice yellowtail. I believe the other is some variation of a triggerfish but I'm not 100% sure. Yellowtail is delicious...so is triggerfish, nice catch!
The Yellow Tails were great. Triggers are a pain to filet but have a great taste.

We were trying to catch the Yellow Tail but had a lot of trouble keeping the Triggers off of our hooks.

image-2.jpg

What would you say this guy is?

image-3.jpg

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So ok... I have some cheap rod/reel combos. Lets describe them as... disposable. Bring one and see if I catch anything? Worth my time at all or forget it and go with the pros here?
And honestly, if I catch a few, who's gonna filet for me? Only seen it done, never done it.
And lastly, if I catch something Friday, will it stay decent on ice all the way home to Chicago? We hope to buy some other sea food as well. The sea food by us is... lacking.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The dark eyes I think gives it away, porgy's usually have a more distinct shape to them

IMG_1599.PNG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree that the triggers are Ocean Triggerfish. @Emma caught one of them at 7 years old. We had four and they all were around that size.

I am not sure what the black snapper / grunt was other than tasty.

This happened to all of them over the course of several meals.

IMG_0752.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So ok... I have some cheap rod/reel combos. Lets describe them as... disposable. Bring one and see if I catch anything? Worth my time at all or forget it and go with the pros here?
And honestly, if I catch a few, who's gonna filet for me? Only seen it done, never done it.
And lastly, if I catch something Friday, will it stay decent on ice all the way home to Chicago? We hope to buy some other sea food as well. The sea food by us is... lacking.
We fish for reef fish with 25 pound fluorocarbon line. Our 2015 catch was caught on some inexpensive Walmart gear I bought from @Andy S as he was leaving as I had broken my Penn gear in the rough crossing. I have one Penn 30 combo with 60 pound line but am otherwise under equipped for the big fish.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To be honest, they did catch this fish (I have no idea what it is) but it was good!

View attachment 52094
If I remember correctly it was a big eye jack. Most don't consider them to be great eating fish but I thought it tasted fine. They have a red meat instead of the white flaky meat most consider to be a delicious fish.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you all dont catch anything i got us covered 20170228_222424.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Speedling, I should have added to my response that we use circle hooks baited with squid to try to catch the yellowtail snapper. I need to bring some sinkers to get the bait below the triggers faster and help with casting this year. Bait is available in Bimini but we pick up squid at the grocery store in Fort Lauderdale and bring it for bait and feeding the rays.

If you are willing to go through Mobile, Alabama on your trip home I have a contact west of there for fresh caught jumbo gulf shrimp for $4.50 a pound. That is whole shrimp with their heads on. My grocery store wants around $15 a pound for the same product.