• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I can't lie These people are lucky as hell but I probably been crying Tears of excitement and tears of sheer terror

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Diving mishaps are very effective on putting safety as the top priority.
I have been trapped in an uderwater cave while solo diving. For 10 minutes I could not go forward, backward, up or down. I could only rotate and that required removing tanks and harness. :nailbiting: I got lucky because it was the beginning of the dive and less than 500feet from the entrance.
I have kind of given up diving Too scary, especially if you don't have an amazing dive buddy :-(

GMAN2015

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is anyone interested in venturing out beyond Bimini this trip for either a day trip or an overnight at Staniel Cay? Those swimming pigs (if still alive) on Pig island are on our bucket list with this trip or a future one. Got to include Thunderball Grotto too. Staniel Cay would definitely be a long hard "day trip" but could be done.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@GMAN2015, Staniel Cay would be a hard overnight trip if fuel is available along the way. You would spend all of the first day getting there and all of the second getting back and burn $1k+ of fuel in the process.

Last years Exhumas group got stuck in Chub Cay waiting on fuel on the way to the Exhumas but did make it all the way from Staniel Cay to Bimini in one day on the return.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is anyone interested in venturing out beyond Bimini this trip for either a day trip or an overnight at Staniel Cay? Those swimming pigs (if still alive) on Pig island are on our bucket list with this trip or a future one. Got to include Thunderball Grotto too. Staniel Cay would definitely be a long hard "day trip" but could be done.
From Bimini your looking at approximately 450 miles round trip. Cruising at 30 mph that's 15 hours of non stop running. I don't think a day trip would be possible and while I certainly would encourage you to take a trip to the Exumas, it should be a final destination where you spend several days enjoying the islands IMO.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As @Ramblin Wreck mentioned it's an awesome trip but one you will want to devote it's own time to. I would not go back again with out planing to spend atleast 5 nights there alone as you would be selling yourself short. It's a full day travel each way in ok conditions with no hiccups which is a huge if. Chub Cay or Nassau would even probably be a three day deal a day for travel a day there and a day for return.

GMAN2015

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From Bimini your looking at approximately 450 miles round trip. Cruising at 30 mph that's 15 hours of non stop running. I don't think a day trip would be possible and while I certainly would encourage you to take a trip to the Exumas, it should be a final destination where you spend several days enjoying the islands IMO.
I figured fuel cost would be high. I did not read about the fuel shortages from the last expedition. Staniel Cay may be our next destination next year.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@GMAN2015, I have been meaning to ask, does your boat have HO engines?

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I figured fuel cost would be high. I did not read about the fuel shortages from the last expedition. Staniel Cay may be our next destination next year.
If you planned fuel appropriately and had good sea conditions you could go straight from Bimini to Nassau and skip Chub. Some might discourage that but it's certainly possible. When we got to Chub their fuel was delivered that day and due to the sentiments in the fuel tank they will not sell gas until 24 hours after the tanks are filled in order to allow the sentiments to resettle. What I found interesting returning from Exumas is that when we got back to Bimini it was like we had arrived stateside. While many may feel Bimini is remote coming from Fort Lauderdale, it does not compare to the Exumas. There's a lot open water from Florida to Exumas so you would want to really plan it out and take a significant time off to enjoy it all. Alot of things can happen that are out of your control (fuel, customs, weather, breakdowns, etc.) so you don't want to be in a hurry rather have the time to adapt and adjust.

Also in regards to fuel if I remember correctly @Andy S Cobalt and @1948Isaac AR240 burned approximately 2.5mpg. They can chime in if I'm wrong. Our entire trip was around 700ish total miles so you can do the math using $5 per gallon. Lodging will cost you $300+ per night. There are other trips within the Bahamas that are much cheaper, but I'm so glad I was able to experience it. If pigs are a big pull for you check out the Abacos. They have pigs as well.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do highly recommend it! It was an adventure of a lifetime and we as a group had a blast doing it. Everyone and everyones vessels came back with bumps and bruises and issues but I don't think anyone with us would not have gone. Biggest thing I can recommend is if you do plan it do so with only a few boats don't open it up to large group as it is not the kind of trip that works that way. If anyone on any of the crews is not up for a 15 hour beating fly them over its not worth the headache. We had an awesome crew and all handled it like champs and that is something that is tough to get together.

GMAN2015

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you planned fuel appropriately and had good sea conditions you could go straight from Bimini to Nassau and skip Chub. Some might discourage that but it's certainly possible. When we got to Chub their fuel was delivered that day and due to the sentiments in the fuel tank they will not sell gas until 24 hours after the tanks are filled in order to allow the sentiments to resettle. What I found interesting returning from Exumas is that when we got back to Bimini it was like we had arrived stateside. While many may feel Bimini is remote coming from Fort Lauderdale, it does not compare to the Exumas. There's a lot open water from Florida to Exumas so you would want to really plan it out and take a significant time off to enjoy it all. Alot of things can happen that are out of your control (fuel, customs, weather, breakdowns, etc.) so you don't want to be in a hurry rather have the time to adapt and adjust.
All Great points. I am really looking forward to meeting you guys on this trip.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All this talk of Exuma is making me wish we were going back this year. Oh well i will have to enjoy that tropical paradise of Shelbyille Illinois instead. they do have Kalik and palm trees there correct?

GMAN2015

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do highly recommend it! It was an adventure of a lifetime and we as a group had a blast doing it. Everyone and everyones vessels came back with bumps and bruises and issues but I don't think anyone with us would not have gone. Biggest thing I can recommend is if you do plan it do so with only a few boats don't open it up to large group as it is not the kind of trip that works that way. If anyone on any of the crews is not up for a 15 hour beating fly them over its not worth the headache. We had an awesome crew and all handled it like champs and that is something that is tough to get

Also in regards to fuel if I remember correctly @Andy S Cobalt and @1948Isaac AR240 burned approximately 2.5mpg. They can chime in if I'm wrong. Our entire trip was around 700ish total miles so you can do the math using $5 per gallon. Lodging will cost you $300+ per night. There are other trips within the Bahamas that are much cheaper, but I'm so glad I was able to experience it. If pigs are a big pull for you check out the Abacos. They have pigs as well.
I am more for the adventure of getting there. My wife is all for those pigs! So the Abacos may be an option.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am more for the adventure of getting there. My wife is all for those pigs! So the Abacos may be an option.
I'm much like you. It's the adventure that gets me excited. The destination is just icing on the cake.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My in laws neighbor has a palm tree by their dock. But, I think it's plastic and might have neon lights. Does that count? IL does have rum though. (Course you have to get it at Super Walmart). :D

GMAN2015

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

So about the same cost for a family of 6 to feed Mickey Mouse for 5 days. But so much cooler.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So about the same cost for a family of 6 to feed Mickey Mouse for 5 days. But so much cooler.
Hahaha...isn't that the truth. @GMAN2015 check out the thread below. @robert843 & @Andy S organize this weekend trip and it's a ton of fun. It's all glass water for the most part, but super fun. Several of us will be departing Wacca Wache Marina in Myrtle Beach to boat down the ICW to meet the larger group in Charleston before heading up the Cooper River. Y'all should come join us and we can tell you more then you probably want to know about the Exumas.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/charleston-cooper-river-run-up-to-pinopolis-lock-may-20th-2017.12182/

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hahaha...isn't that the truth. @GMAN2015 check out the thread below. @robert843 & @Andy S organize this weekend trip and it's a ton of fun. It's all glass water for the most part, but super fun. Several of us will be departing Wacca Wache Marina in Myrtle Beach to boat down the ICW to meet the larger group in Charleston before heading up the Cooper River. Y'all should come join us and we can tell you more then you probably want to know about the Exumas.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/charleston-cooper-river-run-up-to-pinopolis-lock-may-20th-2017.12182/
You can just follow me down @GMAN2015 . Looks like we're neighbors.

GMAN2015

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ha! I was just going through the Charleston cooper river run posts. I think it would be a good run to test my boat before Bimini. Definitely interested.