• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I started a new thread for the annual Faces of Bimini. Seems like a good way to get an idea of each other before we meet up in paradise. :cool:

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We are still deciding on an afternoon launch or a shift the trip a day to the right. Sunday-Wednesday. Damn this front moving through.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are still deciding on an afternoon launch or a shift the trip a day to the right. Sunday-Wednesday. Damn this front moving through.
Due to the wind forecast I would not leave until Saturday afternoon. 20 mph winds can really kick up some waves well above the forecast. If you can shift the trip a day the forecast looks great for Sunday to Wednesday.

IMG_1497.PNG

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ya it will be either a 12-2 departure of just go Sunday. I'm thinking shifting just to be safe

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm thinking shifting just to be safe
Beyond safety if you can make a quick smooth crossing you arrive in Bimini ready to go. If you have a rough crossing you and your family may feel the effects for days.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I shifted our trip Sunday to Wednesday. Disappointed but happy to still be going though.
I would make the same decision for my family.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2nazt, I am glad you decided to wait. This mornings forecast is still looking pretty rough but from Sunday on is near optimal.

IMG_1523.PNG IMG_1524.PNG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843, it looks like your friends decided to wait as well.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce we are thinking 11ish departure tomorrow
That looks good for the wind and waves. I like the theory of an early departure before the sun gets things moving but for tomorrow the forecast clearly shows the wind calming down later in the morning.

My smoothest crossing was a single boat return where we departed Bimini at 9 or 10 in 2015.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wind is jamming out of the south still over in Naples. Hope it lays down for you tomorrow.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843, it looks like your friends decided to wait as well.
Yes they were split into two groups part leaving Saturday and some leaving Sunday but the Saturday group decided this morning to hold off till Sunday as well.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2nazt great call on waiting this is an exact quote from someone in Miami today who was talking to the other guys I know that were going to try and cross today but pushed to Sunday as well.

"Really early this morning (saturday) I was monitoring the marine VHF channel in Miami (port) and between 6am and 7am, there were two "mayday" calls come in. One from boater that was taking on water over bow (12-inch in bilge) and the USCG went out to give a hand. They made it back but were 10 miles out and it got VERY rough.

Today at 9:30am several of us went out the ocean (on our skis) and like I've been saying, along the coast was very nice but looking at the horizon you could see (what I call) marching elephants. Thats when its so rough in the gulfstream that it looks like 1000's of elephants on the horizon line. You don't know how lucky you are that you didn't try to cross today!

Conditions for tomorrow will really improve. What needs to happen is the ocean to calm down overnight so there isn't residual mess from today. But not gonna sugar coat it, conditions on Monday and Tuesday in Bahamas is calling for a good bit of wind...but will improve after that.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tomorrow's forecast looks awesome. It rarely gets better than this.

IMG_1543.PNG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
But not gonna sugar coat it, conditions on Monday and Tuesday in Bahamas is calling for a good bit of wind...but will improve after that.
Bimini has a forecast of less than 1 foot from Monday through Saturday. The water should be great once they get there.