• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot's New Surf Tech, Thrust Vector Wake

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No we've been testing as though we're using the most common setup out there which is no factory bags at all and then adding our ballast system to the boat to show how easy it can be to get a great wave without having to run all that plumbing and take up all that valuable real estate.

We've tested with the standard ballast and the result was not that great. It just does not put the weight nearly far enough back to make a great wave. If you had a 212X and wanted to use the factory ballast as an accent to the steel shot that would probably save you some money, but nothing we've tested gives us the results that the 600 lb bag on the lower swim platform does. It is super dense, concentrated weight all the way aft as far as you can take it and as low as you can take it. It acts like a lever on the stern and pulls the transom down into the water making a huge wave perfect for pushing big riders!

If you want to use the center bag you can certainly do that, it will likely take the place of the weight we're putting in the bow, but bear in mind that too much weight in the bow causes the wave pocket to get longer but the height is diminished. For this reason we've really grown fond of the steel shot bags. You can toss bags around quickly and find the perfect setup easily. Once you've discovered the best setup its easy to write down exactly how many bags you have and where. Your results are easily duplicated.
Good detailed reply. Thanks! :)

What do you expect to see on the 24’ boats?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good detailed reply. Thanks! :)

What do you expect to see on the 24’ boats?
Same results or better since the boat is heaver and displaces more water. May need a bit more bow weight since the boat uses the same engines to push a heavier longer boat. We're going to test further on our new 24 footer which will be in sometime in July.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot you should share the most recent video that you put up on Facebook. Wave looks great. Good work!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot you should share the most recent video that you put up on Facebook. Wave looks great. Good work!
Here's our newest surf wave video. Cleanest, tallest, longest yet!! Add ons: Thrust Vector Wake with JetWash Deflector and 1200 lbs of steel shot. 600 on lower platform, 400 on upper platform surf side and 200 on rear seat surf side. 20 foot water depth, three passengers of average weight, 3/4 tank of gas, fresh water.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's A LOT of lead to lug around and/or add to the towing. #Howtogetbuffthissummer
See you just made a positive out of this with your #,

Think of it as lugging around less weight than you'd have to if you were looking to get the same wave from water ballast. You'd easily be over weight before the first passenger stepped on board.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes but the main advantage to water ballast is I'm not lugging it around on the lake all day. Once done playing you drain and off you go running a lighter ship (less ga$ too). With lead bags you're stuck with it all day or you have head back to the dock/ramp and lug it all off the boat again. I get that you're doing this all to retain as much space as possible inside the compartments and not have to deal with plumbing but lead generally is used to fine tune weight and displacement, not account for 100% of ballast. Don't get me wrong, the wave looks killer for a jet boat. I just wouldn't want to lug around 24 50lb bags all the time! My back would be like hell to the naw :D

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes but the main advantage to water ballast is I'm not lugging around on the lake all day. Once I'm done I drain and off I go. With lead bags you're stuck with it all day or you have head back to the dock/ramp and lug it all off the boat again. I get that you're doing this all to retain as much space as possible inside the compartments and not have to deal with plumbing but lead generally is used to fine tune weight and displacement, not account for 100% of ballast. Don't get me wrong, the wave looks killer. I just wouldn't want to lug around 24 50lb bags all the time! My back would be like hell to the naw :D
I said the same thing when I filled my first portable water bag. I was like who wants to wrestle this dead walrus all the time. I don't have an issue burning extra fuel. The bags take up little room and the ability to make changes on the fly is super convenient.

Of course we realize there's many ways to skin this cat but we are pleased with the results. if someone is concerned about adding 2000 to 3000 lbs of ballast on their boat this is a nice alternative.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea that's exactly what makes lead wake bags attractive is the ease and ability to move them around to find the sweet spots and fine tune the wave. You're not doing that with ballast bags filled with hundreds of lbs of water lol. So I will give them that. I plan to add maybe 500-700 lbs of lead to my boat but the bags will stay in the boat forever once placed in their spots. Everything else will be 3000-4500 lbs of water.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea that's exactly what makes lead wake bags attractive is the ease and ability to move them around to find the sweet spots and fine tune the wave. You're not doing that with ballast bags filled with hundreds of lbs of water lol. So I will give them that. I plan to add maybe 500-700 lbs of lead to my boat but the bags will stay in the boat forever once placed in their spots. Everything else will be 3000-4500 lbs of water.
Fair enough. 4500 lbs of water is quite alot. What boat do you have?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I see... guess I thought you had a yamaha.
I did but traded it in a little while back this year. It was fun but I just wanted something a bit easier to make big waves. Flip a switch and off you go kind of thing. Lugging the bags on the swim platform and inside the boat got old quick. I commend you on your efforts to create a nice looking wave for the Yamaha community, it really does look nice even if it adds some extra work to achieve. You've been busy this year!!!

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm happy with a piece of equipment which keeps simplicity of the jet drive while eliminating two of the major disadvantages for the casual boaters: slow speed handling and spraying tubers. This along with the new reverse bucket in my '19 seem to allow jet boats to reach even more of the recreational boating market.

Next you need to design the magic intake grate for weeds :)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lead ballast as your primary ballast is laughable. Tell me one boat manufacture out there that does that..........????

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lead ballast as your primary ballast is laughable. Tell me one boat manufacture out there that does that..........????
Nobody does, that's the whole point.

You offer a product, and have shown where it works, thus the reason why people buy it. Will is offering a product, and showing where it fills a gap, that your product cannot. It allows folks to move it easily.

For guys like me that have kids that surf goofy, and others that surf regular, moving that 850lb bag is going to be a pain. AND I STILL ORDERED IT from you!! As the benefit outweighed the downfall.

But what Will is offering, is an alternative for those that are still unsure where they are going to put the weight, and allow them to fine tune it based on the people load they have for that day. Yup, it's not going anywhere when you go on the lift, trailer or a cruise, but that's the trade off. And the reason I didn't order it, as my boat sits on a 5000lb lift, and it was a bit more expensive.

Both solutions have a trade off:

His Steel shot bags allow for easy transition, but you have it all the time.
Your custom transom bag, has the ability to go away when not needed, but it is going to be a pain to move. (I hope to know in the next few weeks)

Dale Carnegie said this very long ago, "for every fact, there is a benefit" and that is what made him a master salesman, and his teachings are still shared today. Sell your product based on the benefits they bring to the table, and don't concentrate on the downfalls of your competitors, as it will only make you look bad in the long run.

We have seen this with other sponsors on this site in the past. We know you are better than that.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

You offer a product, and have shown where it works, thus the reason why people buy it. Will is offering a product, and showing where it fills a gap, that your product cannot. It allows folks to move it easily.

For guys like me that have kids that surf goofy, and others that surf regular, moving that 850lb bag is going to be a pain. AND I STILL ORDERED IT from you!! As the benefit outweighed the downfall.

But what Will is offering, is an alternative for those that are still unsure where they are going to put the weight, and allow them to fine tune it based on the people load they have for that day. Yup, it's not going anywhere when you go on the lift, trailer or a cruise, but that's the trade off. And the reason I didn't order it, as my boat sits on a 5000lb lift, and it was a bit more expensive.

Your custom transom bag, has the ability to go away when not needed, but it is going to be a pain to move. (I hope to know in the next few weeks)

Dale Carnegie said this very long ago, "for every fact, there is a benefit" and that is what made him a master salesman, and his teachings are still shared today. Sell your product based on the benefits they bring to the table, and don't concentrate on the downfalls of your competitors, as it will only make you look bad in the long run.

We have seen this with other sponsors on this site in the past. We know you are better than that.
No.

Running around with 1,200lbs of steel or lead as your primary ballast is just dumb.

Don't believe me? Well, try it out for a couple of weeks and let us know how you like it.

EDIT: I forgot to add: IMO!
EDIT 2: especially dumb in a 21' yamaha.

--

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

I question the safety aspect as a boater and not as a vendor. 1200 pounds all day long is over half the capacity of my boat.

I agree that lead ballast has its place but not in this fashion.

* EDIT* I dislike the fact that i cannot say anything now because I am labeled as a vendor when you see my name. I cannot just comment on the fact that I have boating knowledge and opinions?

Last edited: